A truly beautiful pear bloom you must see. Call it rosebud?

I’m going to call it rosebud but I need to get this sport stabilized if possible. If not you get a rare glimpse of an ultra rare pear bloom! What will the fruit be like? Ever saw one like this? It’s a first for me and I grow a lot of pears! When you get a sport you mark it to work on it later and this was an unusual one.

56 Likes

Will you be pruning to push growth from the mutated spur that produced this flower then?

2 Likes

@JohannsGarden

Yes exactly and try to get the bud to branch. That would be a very beautiful tree! Imagine the fruit!

7 Likes

Clark you sure it’s a pear blossom? It looks like a rose, beautiful shape! I need give me pears a talk now

7 Likes

@IL847

Yes it’s an improved Kieffer pear bud.

4 Likes

Beautiful flower. Hope it does well and I think it could have some monetary value.

4 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how readily it sets fruit and whether the petals detatch readily as they age out. Some double flowers are prone to having petals stay attached while they decay which could be a problem for developing fruit.

1 Like

Started trimming up around it to force growth and reduce its competition. Removed the other pears and many leaves and branches. Hopefully fireblight doesn’t find it.

Uploading: 20220429_162618.jpg… Uploading: 20220429_163006.jpg…

14 Likes

If you carefully remove the flower and stem would that help prevent FB?

1 Like

@Auburn

Feel those pruning cuts right now are a big risk but whats done is done. The flower is equally risky but I’m curious about it. Need to treat it like a tbud and remove growth around it over and over. If it sets a pear I will remove it. Could you imagine a tree of those blooms or a row of those trees?

12 Likes

Really beautiful!

2 Likes

I hope you can get it to reoccur. That would be pretty cool! You could call it rosebud pear or something similar. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

I actually think it looks Camellia like more than anything.

2 Likes

@JohannsGarden

My mother said that same thing she said call it Camellia not that I’m familiar with those like she is. Fortunately I have seen them in pots.

1 Like

It almost looks like a camellia. Just beautiful, can’t wait to see the pear!

1 Like

The day after heavy wind storms

1 Like

Well, that’s much less attractive. Must be a male flower; the windblown look doesn’t work so much for us.

2 Likes

@Mtncj

The wind ripped through Kansas last night and tornado like storms popped up all over. There was a touch down category 3 in Andover which is hours away from us. Sirens went off repeatedly.

1 Like

Well darn, now you might have to call it Dorothy. If you do, don’t plant mlokosewitschii next to it, it might get a limb dropped.
I hope the worst you and yours got was a few lost petals.

3 Likes

@clarkinks or @JohannsGarden could you enlighten me about this? I understand the potential for mutations as cells divide but for it to specifically occur at only one bud is fascinating and I have not considered this in the plant kingdom

1 Like