A truly beautiful pear bloom you must see. Call it rosebud?

Save that one’s seeds. If you could get the plant to make more trees do this, you could revolutionize fruit trees as ornamental too.

1 Like

I have found a nursery selling ‘Cabot’, and ‘Vermont Beauty’ from Quebec, how unexpected, I am looking forward to seeing the flowers from your ‘Cabot’ graft https://www.hardyfruittrees.ca/product-category/collection-fruit-and-nut-trees-canada/

1 Like

The hard part about living things is they are only in this world temporarily. That includes not just the pear blossoms but also us as orchardists and gardeners. Thomas Jefferson did great things at Monticello, johnny appleseed, Van Mons and pears, Etter and apples, claypool and lehman with persimmons, all that said these well known people are a blink off the eye in time. Who even knows who fritz haber is and yet they would not be alive had he not invented a process to make nitrogen fertilizer. We were fortunate to catch an image of that blossom. Its a shame it wasnt meant to be.

I’m kind of shocked to not see this pear on Buzz Ferver’s site. He has most of those wild VT apple and pear trees. Maybe I’ll swing him an email and see if he’s heard of it.

As for Clark’s original post and the flower it reminds me of that Brandywine crabapple. It has double blossoms of pink rose-like flowers. Pretty tree.

5 Likes

Buzz Ferver used to list more pears on his website, and I don’t recall most of the pears he listed, yet his nursery’s website is were I noticed the Winooski pear for the first time, a pear that originated from Winooski Vermont, this person also has lots of Vermont originating pears, and he’s not listing Cabot pear either. Pear Trees | Elmore Roots Nursery

Like was mentioned above Fedco has Cabot pear

1 Like

I have a Cabot on order from Fedco.

1 Like

I noticed this double blossom on Kieffer not sure if I should try budding it or wait until it’s dormant

13 Likes

@39thparallel

That is really good news! It is encouraging that kieffer has these genetics that occasionally are triggered.

1 Like

It’s not quite as nice as yours. The odd’s of me being able to successful propagate that bud mutation aren’t great, but I have to try.

A showy ornamental pear that also produced nice problem free fruit and was less prone to be invasive would be great. It might get a lot more people growing table pears.

4 Likes

My goal is to put that bloom with fruit like Red Clapp’s on a pear tree like this. https://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/peartree.jpg

2 Likes