Abate fetel aka Abbe fetel

Yes, a few days on the counter gets them softer. The texture is very nice. I keep going back and buying more.

1 Like

I think conference and belle de giugno can be similar.

1 Like

I was wondering about conference fb and concorde

1 Like

@murky ,
I have not eaten either of those two varieties. In fact, I have not heard of the latter. I have the same fire blight concern as @noogy.

@noogy @mamuang @murky

Iā€™m growing a Concorde graft but itā€™s not fruited yet. Itā€™s much more resistant so far to fireblight than comice itā€™s parent. That says very little because comice has zero resistance!

The other parent is conference. Lost my conference to fireblight. Plan to try again soon.

Comice itā€™s extremely difficult to keep alive but I have a couple of branches that have not fruited. Lost over half my comice grafts to fireblight so far. Itā€™s never bloomed so I may run out of branches before I get a comice fruit!

5 Likes

Abate Fetel is still my favorite. Conference is self pollinating; that helps if you have little space. The taste of Conference and Concorde are similar to me, but different from Abate Fetel! The latter is a native of Italy. Really good!

4 Likes

The Abbe fetal I bought were very good but it lack that winey rich taste. Should have left it on the counter a few more days, got 5 more to try. Might have a Tippy A/F in the yard, hopefully, donā€™t know when I will find out.
A permanent tag sure helps, old age ?

2 Likes

The Book of Pears: the Definitive History and Guide to Over 500 Varieties - AbeBooks-topnav--Results&ds=20

1 Like

Clark you are so right about it being developed in France. I thought it was an Italian pear for years. I mis-read an article stating it was the most popular pear in Italy. Oops!

1 Like

@mrsg47

They grow lots of them there too.

1 Like

Yes, and after a bit of homework, they are but a few miles away! It is a favorite here and also one of mine. My first were sent to me as a gift from the owners of Arboreum. They tasted like honey. I will never forget them. Now I will not plant it as they will be in the markets mid-summer. I hope you have many trees!

3 Likes

Hi! Thank you very much for thread!
Between the abate fetel pear and the concorde pear what do you choose? Whatā€™s the best?
Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

@Luisport

Those are both very high quality pears. Either way you chose is good.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I think i will choose concordeā€¦ i read itā€™s more vanilla flavorā€¦ :yum:

1 Like

Abate Fetel is the best!

1 Like

Unfortunately, my 3 AF fruitlets fell off a while back. There will always be next year.

1 Like
2 Likes

Certainly on my list!

1 Like

Lost my abate fetel fruits and one tree to fireblight. Have one more tree without fruit.

1 Like

I noticed the mention of fireblight susceptibility in their description. Have you seen an estimate of chill hours?