Abate fetel aka Abbe fetel

Let us know how good they are. Oftentimes they will look better than what they taste, specially from supermarkets.

2 Likes

I suspect they will be good since they are from Argentina. They were of little doubt grown in the Rio Negro Valley and shipped from the Port of San Antonio Este.

https://www.patagonia-argentina.com/en/negro-rivers-upper-valley/

https://www.patagonia-argentina.com/en/puerto-de-san-antonio-este/

3 Likes

Last month I was visiting my brother in England and in one supermarket we found cherries and Flavor King pluots from South Africa, the cherries were excellent, but the Flavor King was mediocre. I have also bought New Zealand pears before from a local market that were excellent, so itā€™s always a fifty fifty chance with supermarket stuff.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s some blooming. I put this together from my USDA Grin order using two pear references.

I had (3) Abate Fetal/Abbe for sale on Ebay that were my last trees for sale this winter/spring and some guy bought two of them a month ago. I decided to keep the third. Iā€™m glad I did.

Directory of Pear Cultivars-Martin Crawford 1961

ā€™The Book of Pearsā€™ The Definitive History and Guide to Over 500 Varieties

Dax

7 Likes

Excellent book The Book of Pears: The Definitive History and Guide to Over 500 Varieties - Joan Morgan - Google Books

We got the same deal here. I bought some on Monday. It will be my first time trying this variety. Iā€™m grafting it this year. Hope it doesnā€™t take long to bear fruit.

2 Likes

I bought some last year from WF, they were also from Argentina and were fantastic.

3 Likes

Glad to see this one finally covered in flower buds.

2 Likes

One of my favorite pears!

1 Like

I have one tree of the Abete Fetel or Abbe Fetel ( Iā€™ve seen it listed both ways) growing in my orchard. I am anxious to try these pears out once it starts producing some fruit. Iā€™ve had it growing since 2017 or 2018.

1 Like

@MikeC

Abate fetel will do different things at my orchard on 2 different trees. One tree takes 7 years to fruit and the other 4 or 5 years. Both trees look like they could fruit. We donā€™t grow many of these just a tree or two and a backup graft.

1 Like

Thank you for the update on the times it may take to get some pears from the Abate pear tree. I checked my records today. I did not plant the Abate pear tree until 2019. So it has some years to go before I get any fruit looks like.

1 Like

@MikeC

You could get pears this year on some rootstocks like quince they bear fruit very quickly. Iā€™m saying in my experience it depends on the rootstock. Iā€™ve got callery that cause very fast fruiting even with an interstem. Most pears take 3-7 years. Abate fetel is covered with blooms right now.

1 Like

My Abate Fetal tree has fruit buds showing on it but we are still having colder weather, so far. The only things blooming here are the forsythias and the Bradford/callery pear trees in the area.

1 Like

How does it do with disease?

1 Like

@murky

Everyone says itā€™s not disease resistant but Iā€™ve had no problems yet. @wildscaper grew it in Texas with no problems.

1 Like

@mamuang , had to buy a few of these pears so I know what they look like from the sions I got from you. I lost all the tags, so I have to back track all of them.

2 Likes

They are easy to recognize for their shape. @mrsg47 and I really like this pear variety. I ate the store-bought AF. They tasted really good. Let me know what you think about the ones you bought.

1 Like

Did you eat them right a way.? Or leave them sit for a while? Thanks Tippy!
Sorry, just saw more pictures of this pear, Clark, Andrew.

1 Like

I let them sit for a few days before I ate them.

2 Likes