Abate fetel aka Abbe fetel

I have read it both ways. I saw origin Italian, then French. You know what? Its a great tasting pear! I look forward to them every summer and early fall. They are prolific here, but do not last long in the Marché.

2 Likes

How is your Abate Fetel pear this year?

My tree flowered tons but set only 30 fruitlets. The fruit were mostly self-thinned. Half of the 30 fruitlets had to be thinned out because there were not leaves near them.

Not sure if there will there be any left to maturity.

1 Like

@mamuang

Had a few more than that but every storm that comes through i get some drops. Hopefully we wind up with a dozen at least to eat! Beautiful tree for sure but i fear with fireblight like it is the last 2 years it may be on borrowed time like the others.

FB on Abate Fetel worries me, too.

I hope mine is true to label. They have long necks but they are still so small to be sure.

3 Likes

I have an Abate Fetal in my orchard. I did not realize it was perhaps a BF magnet. I hope mine is not. I had to take out a Bartlet pear a few years ago because it started the FB little game. Cut here, cut there, trim this part off. Finally I said “bye” and took it out. Just as it was starting to produce fruit. Now the Abate is starting to produce its first fruit this year.

• update* I looked at my Abate tree tonight ( 5/21) and the blooms did not take. So no fruit this year. Bummer.
1 Like

Please post pics Mam, I would love to watch them grow.

Mrs. G.,

Here is my Abbe Fetel.

I bagged all a dozen I have. A few already dropped conveniently in the bags. I think I read that they should be refrigerated for 2 weeks…

6 Likes

Yayyyyy! Congrats. They look great! Please tell me how they taste. Do they need a pollinator?

2 Likes

AF definitely needs a pollination partner. Last year it was full of blooms but not one single fruit set. This year, I hand pollinated as many flowers as I could reach. I am glad I did that because spring rain could interfere with pollinators doing their job.

I got about 20 fruit but most are smaller than AF that I bought. It could be the fruit’s first year crop.

By this time, I am busy with cleaning up my yard and often have left Euro pears in the fridge and forgot about them until too late. I don’t think I am not good with Euro pears that need refrigeration. I can’t keep track.

4 Likes