Aging of a peach tree

@mrsg47 Thanks for the compliment Mrs Gibson.

I cannot figuere out how to move the posts to a topic either.

I can make a new topic for it. (just “discovered” there is a fruit in the kitchen catogorie like you said XD)
But id rather do that another time when i have more time. Still got grafts to make.

And if i start a topic i want to do it “properly” verivy/dubblecheck add a few recepies and photo’s if i can find em.

I also wanna search for my handwriten notes and recepies. It’s somwhere in a moving box together with my broken icecream macine. That i still wanna fix, but now am thinking of replacing whith a fancier version. Did not realise how much i miss the homemade icecream till i started writing about it XD

ill start a topic in a few weeks/month and see if i can add the recepies and mabey a link/reference for some of the “principles”

for the time being if you wanna find it back i think you can bookmark posts to find them back.

1 Like

23y old and surviving heavy pruning. Thats still quite impressive.

Or at least to me. Im newer to peach growing. But have looked a lot at other peoples tree’s both in RL and online. They seem to get a lot of blind wood. And verry little to almost no latent buds. Seen a few people kill their tree by pruning it back to far, and no longer having a bud that could grow. Or ofc the peach curl killed enough buds and there weren’t enough viable buds for the tree to recover.

Are you in europe to? Bohemia is in czech right? Or did you take the seeds with you from there?

Im in the EU, and would be intrested in trading some scions or seeds next dormant season. I have no peach tree’s yet. But your variety seems like a really nice one to add. Most peaches here loose a lot of crops to -1 or -2 frost. I can’t offer you much peach scionwood, but i am building quite the collections of apple varieties . and got a few pears plums etc. So maybe we could trade apple scions for peach. Or somthing like that. (also got a few quinces medlars and other stuff)

Great!

Yes, I’m in europe. We can trade scions next winter and I can also send you seeds, it only takes 3-4 years to the first fruit and they make very good rootstocks. Peach leaf curl wasn’t a problem for me in the last years.
These trees certainly have latent buds even on old (~10y) wood. I usually cut them quite high in spring and a second time a few months later just above the ne shoots.

1 Like

I have many such trees that I manage- 3 on my own property. I haven’t commented on the magical white peach that is the topic here but it has not been pruned in a manner of any peach tree I have access to. Vigorous peach trees always require heavy pruning to keep fresh wood growing reasonably close to the ground and exposed to full sun.

One thing so impressive about the fruit in Colorado’s photos is their size coming from a tree that does not seem “properly” managed at all. It would be a nightmare to thin the fruit in that tree so I’m wondering if it isn’t a shy bearer that produces relatively small crops because of low fruit set. That would help it to produce larger fruit.

When they say peaches normally live to be 15 years old, they are talking not about the natural life-span of the trees but when they are culled because of a reduction in productivity per acre that makes them commercially worthless. Margins are tight, after all.

1 Like

I’m not fabulous, just super awesome :wink: but I think I successfully moved Oscar’s ice cream posts to the Fruit and Kitchen category.

If anyone wants to see Oscars extremely helpful ideas and tricks on making ice cream soft, along with some hints using fruit in ice cream, head on over to this existing topic in the Fruit and Kitchen category. The topic is linked above where I moved the posts, but here it is again.

5 Likes

Well now I dont know how to reply to Oscar about his ice cream. I dont see why it mattered, they were both about peaches/peach trees. =/ He surely looks like he knows what he’s doing I wish I knew someone like him in town so I could pay them tpo make my ice cream for me haha

Anyw ay awesome pictures Tom I swear that red metal roof looks like the funeral home near my house and the house next door does have peach trees too hahah. I know youre not in Denver but it could have fooled me. I like the shape of your pruned tree I have several 15-18 yr old trees and one thats about 26 and then my old 40 yr old tree and I never pruned any of my trees and they turn into wild multi trunked monstrosities lol

You know whats kinda funny/sad… someone asked a few days back if the weather affects my peach crops and how often I get them. I “bragged” that I get a crop at least every other year even if it’s just a small one. Well last night it snowed again 3.5 inches, it wasnt much but it was still pretty cold and the blossoms were in full bloom on half of my trees. I didnt get a crop last summer so I figured this year would be the bumper crop that always follows… well I am not sure I’ll be getting peaches on these 4 trees. The others weren;t quite as far along so maybe they’ll have a better chance.

Be careful what you say, it could come back to bite ya in the ass! =D

To reply to his posts about ice cream, feel free to click on the link provided. That should take you directly to his posts about ice cream. You should be able to respond to his posts there. It would be as if the ice cream conversation was continued in the topic, “Sorbets, Ice Creams, Yogurts and all things Frozen or Slightly Chilled”.

I agree the comments sort of fit with peaches and trees. Many comments are loosely related (some very loosely related) to the topic under which they are posted. But excellent reference information about ice creams or sorbets fits better under that topic.

It’s something admins really don’t try to manage much. We more or less just let the conversation flow as members direct it. I myself am frequently guilty of straying off topic.

I personally like the “feel” of conversation in a topic, which enhances a sense of “community” on the forum vs. trying to force everyone to stick rigidly to the topic at hand. I’ve been a member of a forum before where no one was allowed to stray “off-topic”. This, in effect, made some members feel like it was their job to be the “topic police”. It wasn’t a very conversational forum in that regard. Members ended up having to be very guarded about straying the least bit off topic, else they may be admonished for straying.

In this case a member specifically asked to the post be moved under a category more specific to the contents of the posts. The author of the posts agreed, so I moved the posts, noting them in this thread via the links above.

It can be helpful for members to have really great reference information in a post, under a topic which best describes the posts therein. If someone were to look for information about how to make excellent soft ice cream, they would be much more likely to find it in the topic about ice cream, vs. a topic “Aging of a peach tree”

Hope that explains why I moved the posts. It’s not something admins do very often.

3 Likes

@ColoradoWhitePeach you can click the link and ask questions in the “ice cream” topic :slight_smile:

A shame about the snow/frost. I hope you still get somewhat of a crop. Or at least enough to experiment a bit with different ice cream recepies :slight_smile:

@Olpea thanks for moving my replies. As Mrs Gibson said, they fit better in another catogory. Extra thanks for even hunting down a topic that fit my reply. :grin:

i normaly tend to go off topic a somewhat. But it felt wierd replying to 2 different people about widely different things in the same topic. Seems better now.

3 Likes

Thanks Olpea!!!

1 Like

I lost about 80% of my peach crop this year.my plums and non showy peach blossoms withstood the cold much better than the showy peach blossoms. It hurts to lose so much though. I hope next year is better.

You mean 80% of your trees are frozen out I assume. How do you reckon, have the trees already ejected the blossoms or fruitletts?

Usually I have to cut open the fruitletts to find out early about losses and look for brown centers. When they are brown you may still hope but I’ve never had such hopes come true.

It snowed TWO more times since my last post haha dunno whether to laugh or cry but by now I am used to it… SO… if I get enough peaches to bake a pie this year I’d be surprised.

Denver has had the snowiest Winter since 1983 so I guess it is what it is…

1 Like

Not very hard to tell. Take a random sample of approx. 30 flowers 2 days after the frost and see what percentage survived. Some trees it is quite obvious there are many viable flowers still (plums for example) based on the color you see without cutting them open.

My Elberta peach tree has been in my yard since I moved in 21 years ago and it was at least 10 years old at that time. I am now moving and harvesting fruit for the last time. This tree produces softball size clingfree fuzzy peaches and are the best tasting I have ever had. I am wondering if I will get the same type of tree and fruit if I try to grow from a seed so I can take a part of this tree with me? How long before it produces fruit? Any advice is helpful. Thanks, Gizelle

1 Like

If you grow from seeds you might get something similar. But most fruit are not “true to type” when grown from seed. That’s one of the reasons we propegate fruit tree’s by grafting and not by seed.

you’re best bet would be to graft a twig of the tree to a new tree or rootstock.

rootstocks are usually only sold in the winter. (dormant season)
But you can usually still find some larger (more expensive) potted up tree’s in nursery’s or garden centre’s. You can also graft on those.

This time of year is perfect for summer chip budding. Although you can also try other grafts. Just make sure to completely deleaf the scion (twig) than.

If your not moving any time soon, you could also “harvest” a scion (twig) in the dormant season and graft next spring. (store the scion in the fridge, triple wrapped in thick freezer zip lock bags)

i personally would go the summer chip bud route though. It sounds scary, but it’s not that hard, and you have plenty of material to practice with.

you’ll need
-a potted up peach tree.
-an sharp knife, (like those disposable stanly knives)
-parafilm, or buddy tapes would be easiest. but you could also use other things.
-watch this youtube movie

@ColoradoWhitePeach did you manage to get any peaches this year? Did you distribute any scion from your grandma’s white peach tree?

Hello, yes I ended up getting a humongous crop. I have 6 trees fruiting and each tree is loaded, limbs weighed down dangerously low. And I’ve been thinning them out, plucking off tons of peaches as the summer has progressed. It’s one of the “bumper crops” we get every 3-5 years. It’s kind of fitting because this is my last summer here, as if my trees are giving me one last huge crop. I’m 45 next week and all lve know is peaches in this yard for the last 39 years or so. Denver is a hard city to live in though, is has become a cesspool. Theres nothing here for me anymore.

I plan on cloning some limbs from the big 41 yr old “grandmother tree” using that cloning get stuff that you use to clone cannabis. I hope it’ll work for green shoots from a peach tree just as well as it works for cloning marijuana because I am planning to take babies with me to Wyoming, even if they wont make it outside, I’ll g row them inside with grow lights, heh.

Only one person came down to pick up some scion wood. I think he came down from Grand Junction. If anyone else wants any before I move away in spring you are welcome to come get some.

I just had a bowl of sliced peaches, its unbelievable how sweet they are. you almost forget how sweet they are until you taste them again for the “first time” each season. It’s like I sprinkled sugar on top. Crazy white peaches. =)

Have a good night

5 Likes

if anyone is still following this post this is my last year living here at this house and this year I got one of the biggest crops in the last 20 years. I’ve had hundreds of pounds of fruit.

I’ve noticed I’ve got four varieties of peaches that all derived from a single clingstone yellow peach tree.

First I have the giant green freestone white flesh peaches that stay green when ripe. The flesh is a creamy yellowish white color. There is no red or pink blushing anywhere.

Next there is a white flesh clingstone that has pure white flesh with dark red streaking. They also have freckling like a plum on the skin.

The third variety is a clingstone yellow flesh peach. The flesh inside is dark orange with a lot of dark red combined.

The final variety is a small apricot sized red-skinned white flesh clingstone. The flesh inside is pure white with thin pink streaking especially near the pit.

I laid them on the table from left to right (edit: from top to bottom here) and took a picture of them because to the naked eye it’s very hard to see the differences but in a picture the differences in color are very noticeable.

I’m taking cloned babies with me when I move next spring but the trees I’m leaving behind, especially the 40 years old monster my grandma and I planted when I was 5, I am really going to miss… :persevere:

8 Likes