Aging of a peach tree

It snowed TWO more times since my last post haha dunno whether to laugh or cry but by now I am used to it… SO… if I get enough peaches to bake a pie this year I’d be surprised.

Denver has had the snowiest Winter since 1983 so I guess it is what it is…

1 Like

Not very hard to tell. Take a random sample of approx. 30 flowers 2 days after the frost and see what percentage survived. Some trees it is quite obvious there are many viable flowers still (plums for example) based on the color you see without cutting them open.

My Elberta peach tree has been in my yard since I moved in 21 years ago and it was at least 10 years old at that time. I am now moving and harvesting fruit for the last time. This tree produces softball size clingfree fuzzy peaches and are the best tasting I have ever had. I am wondering if I will get the same type of tree and fruit if I try to grow from a seed so I can take a part of this tree with me? How long before it produces fruit? Any advice is helpful. Thanks, Gizelle

1 Like

If you grow from seeds you might get something similar. But most fruit are not “true to type” when grown from seed. That’s one of the reasons we propegate fruit tree’s by grafting and not by seed.

you’re best bet would be to graft a twig of the tree to a new tree or rootstock.

rootstocks are usually only sold in the winter. (dormant season)
But you can usually still find some larger (more expensive) potted up tree’s in nursery’s or garden centre’s. You can also graft on those.

This time of year is perfect for summer chip budding. Although you can also try other grafts. Just make sure to completely deleaf the scion (twig) than.

If your not moving any time soon, you could also “harvest” a scion (twig) in the dormant season and graft next spring. (store the scion in the fridge, triple wrapped in thick freezer zip lock bags)

i personally would go the summer chip bud route though. It sounds scary, but it’s not that hard, and you have plenty of material to practice with.

you’ll need
-a potted up peach tree.
-an sharp knife, (like those disposable stanly knives)
-parafilm, or buddy tapes would be easiest. but you could also use other things.
-watch this youtube movie

@ColoradoWhitePeach did you manage to get any peaches this year? Did you distribute any scion from your grandma’s white peach tree?

Hello, yes I ended up getting a humongous crop. I have 6 trees fruiting and each tree is loaded, limbs weighed down dangerously low. And I’ve been thinning them out, plucking off tons of peaches as the summer has progressed. It’s one of the “bumper crops” we get every 3-5 years. It’s kind of fitting because this is my last summer here, as if my trees are giving me one last huge crop. I’m 45 next week and all lve know is peaches in this yard for the last 39 years or so. Denver is a hard city to live in though, is has become a cesspool. Theres nothing here for me anymore.

I plan on cloning some limbs from the big 41 yr old “grandmother tree” using that cloning get stuff that you use to clone cannabis. I hope it’ll work for green shoots from a peach tree just as well as it works for cloning marijuana because I am planning to take babies with me to Wyoming, even if they wont make it outside, I’ll g row them inside with grow lights, heh.

Only one person came down to pick up some scion wood. I think he came down from Grand Junction. If anyone else wants any before I move away in spring you are welcome to come get some.

I just had a bowl of sliced peaches, its unbelievable how sweet they are. you almost forget how sweet they are until you taste them again for the “first time” each season. It’s like I sprinkled sugar on top. Crazy white peaches. =)

Have a good night

5 Likes

if anyone is still following this post this is my last year living here at this house and this year I got one of the biggest crops in the last 20 years. I’ve had hundreds of pounds of fruit.

I’ve noticed I’ve got four varieties of peaches that all derived from a single clingstone yellow peach tree.

First I have the giant green freestone white flesh peaches that stay green when ripe. The flesh is a creamy yellowish white color. There is no red or pink blushing anywhere.

Next there is a white flesh clingstone that has pure white flesh with dark red streaking. They also have freckling like a plum on the skin.

The third variety is a clingstone yellow flesh peach. The flesh inside is dark orange with a lot of dark red combined.

The final variety is a small apricot sized red-skinned white flesh clingstone. The flesh inside is pure white with thin pink streaking especially near the pit.

I laid them on the table from left to right (edit: from top to bottom here) and took a picture of them because to the naked eye it’s very hard to see the differences but in a picture the differences in color are very noticeable.

I’m taking cloned babies with me when I move next spring but the trees I’m leaving behind, especially the 40 years old monster my grandma and I planted when I was 5, I am really going to miss… :persevere:

8 Likes

The four varieties

10 Likes

This brought tears to my eyes. It’s so hard when we leave ‘the makings of memories’ behind. 'Reminded me of my husband and his grandma. :cry:

2 Likes

Wow, those peaches came from seedlings from the same mother tree without cross-pollination from another variety? Or was their another variety on the property?

I still haven’t tried durian. You don’t smell it when they’re stored in a freezer in a shop here, but out in a supermarket in Asia I smelled an endcap absolutely loaded with those fruits from at least twenty feet away. I don’t want to try it because of that smell! Is looks like it may be related to jackfruit, which is one of my favorites.

I almost bought the house my grandfather built with his own hands, with most of the wood coming from the farm next door that he grew up on. They had their own sawmill at the time. I was having dreams about that place for years. Usually just occupying it when the owners weren’t around, knowing they could be coming at any time. Not everyone has a house that they have that much emotional attachment to.

Did you wind up sending any trees to forum members?

3 Likes

Durian and jackfruit may look somewhat similar. They are not in the same botanical family. Their taste and texture is also different.

Durian’s smell can be overwhelming esp. those who are not familiar with it.

1 Like

Alan I do not know how this happened. When m grandparents bought this house in the 1950s there was a single yellow flesh clingstone tree in the yard. In the 1970s my great grandfather brought a plum tree into the yard and planted it. It is actually a green or gold gage tree. They are green skinned plums with a very deep gold flesh. In the 1980s when I was a little boy, my grandmother and I started planting a bunch of the little babies that were popping up around that old mother tree.

We had no idea that 3-5 years later the fruit that came from some of them was white flesh. Some were yellow. Some freestone. Some clingstone. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

The gage tree has now grown into 4 gage trees and they are scattered thru the yard. I think what happened was that the insects cross pollinated either those gages and/or some other fruit trees from the area with the mother tree first and then later, with the seedlings that sprouted up and went to seed. I live in a predominantly Italian neighborhood and there are a lot of red plums and dark black plums around me.

I think its just a series of natural cross pollination from different stone fruit trees in the vicinity. I still think the “giant green white peach” is a cross between those green gages and either the original yellow mother tree or one of her white flesh babies from subsequent years.

Its pretty cool however it happened.

2 Likes

Joe, only a couple takers made it down to my area for cuttings over the summer. Literally. Two. Haha well hopefully the cuttings they took are still growing… and along with the ones I am bringing with me to my new home… the legacy of my grandma will live on. <3

1 Like

Thought Id cut them open to show the different flesh from the 4 different varieties I think I have.

From left to right or top to bottom:
1Green giant freestone white flesh
2Red freckled free stone white flesh with red streaking near pit
3Large yellow flesh freestone with huge amounts of red in the flesh
4Small apricot sized clingstone white with and red flesh. Also have less peach fuzz than the other peaches. Almost like a nectarine but that tat smooth.

4 Likes

My husband’s ‘nana’ was in her mid-70s when she visited us shortly after we moved into our ‘formerly little’ house in Virginia. She brought, in her purse, about a dozen damply wrapped St. Augustine grass sprigs from her 1940s Ft. Lauderdale home. The next day she stuck them into the dirt of our wild & weedy backyard.

The house has been added to, several times, and is no longer ‘little’. We are still here and so are those little sprigs. They now cover most of our backyard. It’s lovely to know that her loving little gesture has grown into our really beautiful green lawn. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

@ColoradoWhitePeach: I read your posts last year and was super intrigued by your 40-year-old giant white peach. I don’t live near Denver, though, and didn’t know anything about grafting last year, so I didn’t try to get any scions back then. I was wondering how your move went, and if any of your giant white peach grafts survived in your new location? Someday, if those grafts grow enough to mail out scions, I would love to buy some scions off of you!

By any chance, do you know the member-names of the people who collected scions last year? I’d love to hear how their grafts are doing, too.

Hi :slightly_smiling_face: I’m actually still in Denver… I decided to stay another year to paint and finish other minor things around the house because it’ll bring a lot better price than if I sold as is which I was planning on doing. I did not want to be in Denver another year but …:man_shrugging:t2:

Anyway as far as I know the only person who took scion wood last year was a gentleman from Grand junction, I think it was. I THINK it was user " alan " but I’m not positive.

I’ll be around for awhile longer so if you want some cuttings you are welcome to take some. I can give you directions and the big 42 yr old peach tree is accessible right next to a public alley. I think the snowstorm we got a few days ago killed the blossoms so it looks like no fruit this year. I had so much last year I couldn’t give enough away.

Thanks for the update! I live near Philadelphia, so I could not drive by, but it is just about summer bud grafting time where I live, so if you wanted to collect some cuttings from one year old wood and mail them to me, I would be happy to pay you for them?

@alan was it you who got scions last year? If yes, how are they doing?