'Al Horn' pawpaw flavor

Has anyone tasted the white fleshed ‘Al Horn’ variety of pawpaw and be able to remark on its flavor and/or texture?

7 Likes

No, I hope I have 2 or 3 two year old seedlings … if they made it through a second winter.
So, someday I’ll hope to try.

4 Likes

Just wanted to give this one a bump—because I’m wondering the same thing! :wink: Thinking about putting one out next season.

2 Likes

Jeremiah, I’ve eaten enough pawpaws this summer to know that there is great variation in the flavor and the color. For the most part, light color equals mild taste. But, there are exceptions.
I sampled one wild collected near Cumberland Gap that is deep orange inside, but fairly mild flavor with no bitterness. Taste more like butternut squash. Big seeds, and only about 8 per pawpaw. Size ‘average’ or better than average for one collected.

Hopefully the Al Horns and the Jerry Lehman’s will have enthused a new generation–as pawpaws should be more widely grown by homeowners. They even look good in the landscape, rather like the popular deciduous magnolias.

5 Likes

Blueberry, I agree completely! They’re a great fruit and a handsome tree. Have been eating my first batch of Sunflowers this month----and can’t get enough! A lot better than the wild ones I’d tried before. That Cumberland Gap Butternut sounds like a keeper!

4 Likes

I just got around to planting those seeds yesterday…been in the crisper.

2 Likes

I just put Al Horn’s White on at least 3 trees, so I hope to weigh in on this in a couple of years. Breeding to get an earlier ripening white flesh variety is on my to do list.

6 Likes

@Persimmon1 Blake Cothron’s new book on pawpaws calls Al Horn taste sweet with coconut. Says the variety is "hard to establish.’ Grades it an “A” overall.

4 Likes

I just planted mine that I purchased from Blake a few weeks ago. It’s been taking off like a rocket ship, growing about 8 inches in the first 3 weeks since planting. I’ve never seen a pawpaw grow anywhere near this fast, which is crazy considering it’s supposed to be difficult to establish. Hopefully it will keep thriving.

8 Likes

I have a couple in containers that I should have planted already…so no fruits yet.
But I like mild flavor, so hope that’s how they are.

3 Likes

Keep doing what you are doing Alex! Usually they like a moist but not saturated soil, full of organics and high nitrogen fertilizer (after the second season, usually no fertilizer is suggested for the first year).

And welcome to the forum! There are a ton of pawpaw people here.

5 Likes

We’ve has a very wet spring and early summer, and my paw paws have loved it. I’ve irrigated in the past but they really seem to prefer the rain every few days.

3 Likes

@disc4tw @BlueBerry @Persimmon1
KSU HI 7-1 is supposed to have a similar flavor to Al Horn’s White, except much stronger on the Cherimoya & Banana.
Also much sweeter.
But with more seeds.
KSU hinted again about maybe releasing soon.
Both have firm thick textures especially KSU Hi-7-1.

7 Likes

My al horn is out performing my ksu Chappell and mango. No fruit yet.

6 Likes

Al Horn’s White Cultivar or Al Horn’s White seedling?
So much for the infamous theory of humid heat of Florida being the reason that the president of Florida Rare Fruit Growers failed at Asimina triloba.
Details appreciated, thanks.

1 Like

Its grafted. The horn and the davis are the 2 best performing cultivars i have.

I agree. I tried to find answers to that question myself but never found an answer that satisfied my curiosity. I could only figure the limestone and hurricanes might be a problem in south Florida.

6 Likes

It seems ro enjoy bananas as companion. Sorry i don’t know why pictures are sideways. Im tech retarded !

7 Likes

Where in south FL are you located? I have doubts about them doing well in south FL long term. I would love to be proven wrong though.

4 Likes

Oh no im not in south Florida.Sorry im no help. Im in America’s humidity Hotspot just in between Gainesville and Jacksonville. North central Florida. South Florida has completely different soil and the humidity is not as high. Also salt spray and hurricanes. We get hurricanes but they have usually been downgraded somewhat by the time they get here. I heard NP say he had a friend that failed at growing on long Island ny, because of the wind.

2 Likes

Oh okay, not sure how I got the idea that you were located in south Florida, LOL. Keep us posted on how they do in your climate. Davis is one of my favorites, have only eaten al horn once and it was a little over ripe at the time. I have 2 young ones planted but it will be several years before they produce.

4 Likes