All Things Cold Hardy Citrus, news, thoughts and evaluations

First 2 fruit on my poncirus trifoliate and I’m curious as to how you dilute and use these fruit.

Ifigured I’d just end up poking them with cloves and enjoying the scent…

Scott

Let them rest for two weeks, otherwise there won’t be much juice. Dilute the juice with water and add sugar for an interesting citrus-pine aid. You can add 1 to a batch of Marmalade guese 40 neutral citrus to 1 trifoliate might be a good ratio.

I was near Camden Alabama yesterday and walked through the woods near a few streams mostly looking for unusual hickory trees, but also ID’ing any unusual plants. I found a large patch of trifoliate orange on the east side of the bridge at the junction of hwy 38 and hwy 41. I brought back half a dozen fruit for seed. These are typical of the species with large thorns and bitter fruit.

32°06’25.2"N 87°05’40.9"W

There is a large double trunk black walnut in the same area that has fairly good nuts.

Hi, I just joined this site. I have wanted to grow Lemon Frost for a long time now. Tried to locate a tree and have failed. I currently have 5 Arctic Frost trees and they are all doing well, including a Harvey Lemon, Meyer lemon, Persian Lime, Calamondin Orange, Citrumelo, and a seedling Tangerine…now 12’ tall. I planted a Rio Red seedling grapefruit at my neighbors home. all are doing well. Do you know how to get a Lemon Frost Tree…or a start of one for my home? Thanks, Jeff

My understanding is that Greenleaf Nurseries has discontinued all three Frost Lines associated with Texas A & M. I’ve heard rumors that other companies are looking at picking these up. I have all three of them, but given that it’s illegal to propagate them outside a quarantine facility, I don’t know that me having it does anyone beyond myself any good. I can say that I like Lemon Frost better than Arctic Frost. My Orange Frost has yet to produce any fruit. It tastes like a kind of sweet lemon but looks and peals like a satsuma, although it is yellow rather than orange.

Got my first batch of Ichang lemons this weekend. This is the non irradiated version of the UGA release of Grand Frost.

6 Likes

you are going to rest those trifoliate orange for a couple of weeks before using. They will have more juice. They hold on the tree for a while there likely still there if you revisit.

below’s our multi-cropping standard 'mondin. Will see if the fruitlets(tiny green dots near center of pic) would continue to mature over our high-desert winter

3 Likes

What about the resin that’s inside the fruit. It sticks to everything.

ZEP

Here is how I’m protecting my citrus in Bixby Ok 7a. We have already had 2 night below 20 :(. Way early. Tunnel is 20’ long. 2 layers Frost cloth, 3 strands of C9 come on at 38 outside. Maintains 40-50 depending on how many layers I add. Below 20 I put on one more Frost cloth and a tarp. There is a miho satsuma armstrong(replacing because the fruit sucks) Meyer lemon, dekopon, Washington naval.

5 Likes

Above 38 I open to let them see the sun.

5 Likes

Just for fun, here is a citrus tree growing north of Birmingham, AL. It does not get any winter protection.

4 Likes

image Citrus season is approaching! Anyone want Ichang lemon seeds? I’ll have some off and on for the next month or so. I only have these and Meyer lemons, so any potential cross pollination is probably ok. Great as a rootstock for something else too!

4 Likes

Since a lot of citrus produces fruit over the winter season and citrus fruit isn’t very tolerant of frost at all, what is the benefit of cold hardy citrus? One will have to protect the fruit from freezing – 32F anyway to get any fruit.
I guess the cold hardy citrus that produces very early (before Frost) might be interesting.

Mature trees will take brief upper 20’s without any damage to the fruit.

Cold hardy Citrus refers to the pipe dream of crossing Trifoliate Poncitus with any other relation and develop a fruit to grow in temperate zones as cold as Zone 6.

This is a Trifoliate growing at my neighbor in Washington DC

This is the fruit from that tree IMG_20191109_230646401
What does that fruit taste like?

Don’t get me wrong the fruit is very redeemable. After picking if you let them sit on the counter for a week or two they will develop a bit of juiceable pulp. The flavor will mellow and 1 fruit as an addition to a pitcher of lemon aid will give you a flavor quite similar to Filipino Calamasi Orange Calamansi - Wikipedia

So crossing a Zone 5 Trifoliate with a Zone 9 is bound to get you a Zone 8 fruit right. No the cold hardness is lost in 1 or 2 generations and the Pine flavor never goes away. Lay sigh and whoo. Cold Hardy Citrus is a pipe dream a red mercury and anyone that tells you otherwise is a fool.

This is my Cold hardy Citrumelo I purchased from Logee’s IMG_20191109_230723190
As you can see from the photo that is clearly not doctored or anything and if of course using a person with normal size not very small hands. Citrumelo clearly displays its Trifoliate heritage and will absolutly grow in Zone 7

What do you mean the Kool-Aid is ready. Kool-Aid always gets a bad rep it was actualy Flavor-aid those cheep bastards.

10 Likes

So none of these trees can handle the true Z5 down to -20F once in a while?

Tony

True Trifoliate can

1 Like

I’ve got a couple trifoliate in the ground here (in a warm pocket of Michigan) and this year I actually got 6 fruit from my largest poncirus. They are still hanging in the tree (though I should remove them in the next couple days).

Once these plants got larger than a foot I’ve had almost no dieback on them from winter temperatures…

Scott

6 Likes