All things tractors thread

Under normal use, if it is a 4 ply tire it should have around 14 psi. If it is a 6 ply it should be around 20 psi. If you are lifting something heavy with it you can put significantly more pressure in them.

1 Like

Thanks Simon. I use the tractor mostly for bush hogging, so it does have to lift that some. Also do disking and plowing, but just a few days out of the year. I’m actually going to plow this week, and disk a week after, whenever it dries out from this heavy rain we’re having. Ocassionally I put a grader blade on the back for smoothing out gravel or rocks for the driveway.

I don’t have a bucket on the front. There’s a pic of it on the first post of this thread, it’s a John Deere 2040.

How do I tell if it’s a 4 or 6 ply tire?

It should say somewhere on the tire. The description usually has that in it on the tire.

1 Like

Yes, that’s right. It will usually say 4 or 6 ply rating on the sidewall.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I’ll check it tomorrow, it’s raining and dark now.

1 Like

You don’t have a raincoat and a flashlight? LOL… I’ll look for your answer tomorrow…:joy:

Yes, and yes. I might go check when the rain lets up.

I did go out Wed night about midnight to unhook the charger, my batteries were depleted a bit and the rig wouldn’t start. Anyway, a line of bad storms was coming in, so I wanted to get down there and unhook it, and shut the barn door. The lightning was dancing and the thunder was rolling.

I got distracted a bit, but got it unhooked, but right after that, I noticed the pole lights went out, and other than the lightning, it was super dark. Then, I heard the wind and rain hitting the trees on the hill behind us, and it unloaded on us. I thought of staying in the barn, but decided that prob wasn’t the safest idea, so I ran up the hill and got soaked.

My wife, who had already been asleep, was up and had the battery powered lights on. I fired up the oil lamp and we listened to the storm roll over us. Nothing too bad, just heavy rain, and intense lightning. I had to take a shower via spotlight, it was hot in the house, so we didn’t get a lot of sleep. We didn’t get the power back on until 7pm the next day, about 19 hours with no power. Thankfully it wasn’t warm, so our freezer food didn’t thaw.

Then we had a 25 degree freeze Friday night, and a 73 degree day yesterday, and heavy rain tonight. Crazy weather. Folks down south look like they’ve had and are having some really bad weather today. There was an F4 or F5 tornado roll through south MS earlier today, and there’s warnings in AL and GA now.

Geez a weez… I hope everyone is fine now!

We’re okay, no damage, and our trees did alright. There was a big tree fall a couple miles south of us, some big timber was knocked over.

Y’all better be on the lookout, this line is rolling your way, might get bad in the early morning.

1 Like

They have a wind advisory and thunderstorms in the forecast for tomorrow, so I suppose you are right. Hopefully it won’t be too bad.

2 Likes

Okay, curiosity got the best of me, especially since it stopped raining. One tire has “6 PR” stamped on it and the other “8 PR”. Is that the ply number? They’re both Alliance tires, same size, but there is that difference. I think the 6PR is on the right side, the 8PR on the left. Is the left tire the drive tire?

I found some information on these tires here-

https://atgtire.com/usa/product-detail/?product=214&size=14.9-28?nr=true

Okay, based on your info and this site’s, the 6 PR can handle 20 psi max, and the 8 PR can handle 26 psi max. Am I reading that right? And, if so, shouldn’t both tires have the same amount of air in them, for balance sake, or does it matter?

If I inflate the tire with fluid in it, with it being at 12 o’clock, will the extra air push the fluid down below the valve stem, and if not how can I read the pressure with a gauge? I don’t want that fluid getting into my gauge.

BTW, bet we got over an inch of rain at least, maybe close to two. The side creek is running pretty heavy, it’s usually dry. The ground’s real squishy now, so no plowing for a few days. Glad I got my bush hogging done yesterday.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a dependable online tractor parts supplier. I’ve spent an hour doing searches and when google finds a supposed match, I go there and find it it ISN’T a match.

I desperately need to buy an ignition switch (the thing you stick the key into) for a Ford/New Holland 1530 Compact Tractor 2005 or so model.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks

Does it look like this?

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/5/8/585-new-holland-1530.html

Or this?

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/9/8/6983-new-holland-t1530.html

Check this site out, it’s parts for a NH T1530 made from 2009-2013, couldn’t find anything for 2005. This is parts for a 4 cylinder, do you know how many cyl yours has?

These are parts for a 3 cylinder, made from 1996-1998

If you’re not sure, you could call them.

Thank you so much for trying to help…you took a good bit of time obviously and I really appreciate it. However, you had exactly the same problems I did. For example, the second link you posted is one I had already been to via google search. HOWEVER, if you actually look at all the parts shown on that page, NONE of them are an ignition switch, even though we both googled "New Holland 1530 ignition switch to get there. Once on the page, there is no way I’ve figured out to find an ignition switch for that model (96-98). That column on the left doesn’t have it under electric or anything else. And the search feature for the overall site doesn’t work either.

I am starting to think my tractor must be a 1996-1998 year and not 2005. I bought it used from someone who died and their wife didn’t know. I’ve combed all over that tractor in all the places where ID tags are supposed to be and there are none (hope it isn’t stolen!!! haha) Worse yet, and this is really embarassing, I don’t know if my tractor is a 3 cylinder or not. I am by far the least mechanical person on earth. Its shameful. do know that my tractor is NOT the T1530. That is a bigger tractor than mine, and mine does have 1530 painted on the side.

I also for the life of me cannot figure out how to search for anything on the official New Holland Ag Tractor Parts site. It is the worst designed web site I’ve ever seen in my life and I can’t even do a simple search on it.

The second worst web site in the world is the one for “Complete Tractor Parts”. None of the search functions work at all from what I can tell. Google takes me to a place on that site that MIGHT be my part but I can’t be sure and I can’t find anything else using the awful search function:

In short, half my problem is knowing too little about tractors and the other half is that almost every web site I find either doesn’t work right or I can’t figure it out. I haven’t been this frustrated in a while.

There is a ford tractor place in Nashville so I guess I will end up trying them, but I sure would prefer the mail, especially with COVID19. And they are notoriously expensive besides being a 2 hour round trip.

Thanks again for your helpi really mean that If anyone else has a better site or thinks they can find an ignition switch for New Holland 1530 please let me know!!!
I

It is preferable for both tires to be the same ply rating. The 8 ply is a little stiffer and so it will tend to have slightly less traction if they are inflated to the same pressure. My guess would be that your tires were purchased at different times. It looks like Alliance discontinued making the 6 ply so the 8 ply may have been purchased after they were sold out of the 6 ply.

The site you linked to is excellent since it’s the brand that you have on your tractor. I would recommend putting 20 psi in each tire. If you notice that one tire sags more then the other you can put a little more pressure in the sagging tire or remove a little from the other one. The pressures listed in the chart aren’t necessarily the max. If you will look at the notes on the bottom it says this: - “For stationary service (0 km/h) and speed up to 10 km/h inflation pressure must increase by 20%. 3) Field dual: 88% of field load, field triple :82% of field load. *Alliance allows for free rolling application: Load capacity to be increased by 20%, after increasing the inflation pressure by 20%.”

Yes if you put some air in the tire it should keep you from having a problem with fluid getting into your gauge. You can verify that by depressing the valve a bit before checking the pressure.

Speaking of the weather, we already had 1-1/2" of rain and it still coming down. Our creek is overflowing the banks already. Hopefully we won’t get too much more. The wind hasn’t picked up yet but they are still saying it’s coming.

1 Like

Switch Assembly # 86569718. image

Thanks, I’ll try to inflate the tire to 20psi that I can get the cap off. It’s the tire that looks to be lowest, I might not have to inflate the other tire. I will probably have to put in a new Schrader valve on it, tho.

Like I mentioned earlier, my main usage is for pulling a bush hog. I usually do that in low 3rd gear, I usually do plowing in low 1st or 2nd, disking in low 2nd or 3rd, so my speeds are pretty low. My gear range is 4 low and high. I rarely get on the road with it.

Our rains just stopped, I think it’s done for the day, I imagine we got about 2" total. After the main rains came through last night, we had some very high winds from about 11 to 1am. We live in a manufactured home, and although it’s pretty well anchored, I could feel it vibrating some. I think it was coming out of the west, as it seemed to be roaring thru the trees up the hill (west) behind us. I was worried about my fruit trees, none are staked, and are starting to fill with leaves. It can be bad for trees to get a lot of rain, then strong winds. I haven’t been out to check things yet, hope they’re okay.

Yes it is, you have to delve deeper into the parts list. It should show categories of parts. Look under category 06 (electrical), then click on 11A07 (dashboard switches). There’s an ignition switch there, part number 86569718, it’s about $77. I would call them to verify.

Well, if you are sure it’s not a T1530, then a 1530 was only made from 1996-98. There ought to be some kind of stamped plate on the tractor that states things like the serial number, where it was made, etc. Mine is on the front lower side by the front tires, but it is a JD, made in 1981, so yours might be somewhere else. I was surprised to see that mine was made in West Germany.

Thank you both for your help. Obviously I feel a little foolish at having not figured out how to find that part! However, it turns out the place in Nashville has it in stock and if it doesn’t fit they will take it back, so I’m going to go get it tomorrow. Whether I can put it on myself is another question, but my research suggests this is a very easy job so we will see! Thanks again for your help.

2 Likes

I took my compressor down to the barn today to try to air up the tires. After letting it charge up to about 100psi, I gave the newer 8 ply tire, which is at a 12 o’clock position, and doesn’t have a corroded valve, a few pulses of air. After that, I checked to see if any liquid came out and it didn’t. First check with the gauge barely registered, so I gave it a few more pulses. Got it up to 20psi, and called it good. The tire looks a lot better now, can’t believe it was that low.

I was going to roll the tractor forward a bit to get the other tire’s valve stem on top, but it wouldn’t start. It tried to turn, but just didn’t have enough juice, so I put the charger on it again. I imagine the 23 degree freeze we had this morning didn’t help.

Like you said, I could still air the tire up in its present position (5 o’clock?), but would rather get it to the top. Plus if that corroded valve breaks in my attempt, I don’t want fluid to pour out. Is it difficult to get that Schrader valve replaced?

Edit- I got it started after it charged for a few hours. So, I rolled it forward a bit so that the other valve is on top. I’ll try to air it up tomorrow. Question, if I have to change the valve, do I need to jack the tractor up so that the tire’s off the ground to relieve any pressure in the tire?