Amadiocots are ripe

What’s the brix?

So how will everything handle this? Do you break out the sprinklers and water all day? Stay cool!

Phoenix

Sunday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 119. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 89. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Monday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 119. East wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 87. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.

Tues i think was showing 121F …that is Death Valley stuff.

1 Like

If any stone fruit can take those temps, a seedling apricot has got to be it!

Everything will be fine. Its only about 5 degrees above seasonal norms. I know that its kinda shocking but this is normal stuff for us in June.

Yep its hot but thats what makes our peaches soooo sweet. Hahaa. The heat used to keep undesirables out of our state. Unfortunately AC tech got really good in the 60’s and since after every earthquake or economic crash we inherit another million Californians. lol But seriously everything does just fine. Ill have to post pictures in the orchard to prove it I guess.

I figured you would. I"m just amazed by that heat. I’d love to experience that sometime. I realize its a very dry heat, but that is still amazingly hot. Keep cool man! The monsoon will come and you’ll feel the swamp air that i know you guys get later in the summer.

Yep June heat brings on the natural wonder of our summer monsoons. We love these summer storms. Keeps things interesting.

3 Likes

That doesn’t look like rain to me. It looks like an attack by some sort of noxious chemical cloud monster.

2 Likes

Rain comes after the dust wall. lol

1 Like

You know that quip about us Californians gets less funnier every time you make it. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Its even less funny to live. lol

edited message

Oh im well aware of all the amazing types of low chill fruit that europe has. Spain is of particular interest to me because of its similar chill profile.

I wouldnt say that we have problems growing high quality apricots, just that if we expect good fruit set that we must grow different apricots than the rest of the country. All the types we do grow are quite well received by our customers.

We fruit:
Blenhiem
Gold Kist
Tropic Gold
Amadiocot
Autumn Glo
Flora Gold
Katy

In trial:
Lorna
Shar Par Keh
Mormon
and a few others id have to go out and look at the tags to remember.

1 Like

Boy Amadio, can’t wait to be a member of that club. I’m moving to apricot heaven. The ‘Roussillion Red’ is supposed to be incredible.

2 Likes

Do you have problems with pit burn in Blenheim or any other varieties?

Nope.

I’m new here, and in the Sacramento Ca. area. Can anyone tell me where to get as amadiocot? Dave Wilson makes no mention of them and I’ve never heard of the variety of apricot. Sure sound nice though.

If you read the thread you’ll discover that Amadiocot is actually an unknown apricot that Eric Amadio grows on his property. I don’t remember if it was a seedling or if it was already growing but I think Eric named it after his family. From what I remember it has a short ripening window but apparently is delicious.

1 Like

Speedster summed it up. I believe it to be a seedling.

Thank you! Eric do you have any seedlings for sale? I’d sure like to try this in my mini orchard.