Amire Joannet Pear

Grafting Amire Joannet from ARS GRIN today and wondered if anyone has experience with growing it?

Im hoping 2019 will be my year for this one since im using Douglas and harrow delight as interstems. I have tried to grow this one for awhile but this year i have new and better plans! What Pears will you grow this year?
This is the USDA description
"Joannet. Origin France. Mr. Lyon thought it probably the same as ‘Harvest’. Synonyms: Amire Joannet, Amire Johannet, Archduc d’Ete (erroneously), Joanette, Petit Johannet, Pera de San Juan, Petit St. Jean, St. Jean, St. John, St. John’s Pear. – W.H. Ragan, Nomenclature of the Pear, 1908.

Amire Joannet (of Robert Thompson, 1842). Early Sugar, Sugar Pear, Harvest Pear, St. Jean, Joanette, St. John’s Pear, (Archduc d’ete?), This fruit, better known here, as the Early Sugar pear, is one of the very earliest, ripening at the beginning of July - in France, whence it originally comes, about St. John’s day - whence the name, Joannet. It is a pleasant, juicy fruit,of second quality, and lasts but a few days in perfection. It opens the pear season, with the little Muscat, to which it is superiour. Fruit below the middle size, regularly pyriform, tapering to the stalk, which is an inch and a half long, and thickest at the point of junction. Skin very smooth, at first light green, but becomes bright lemon color at maturity - very rarely with a faint blush. Calyx large, with reflexed segments, even with the surface. Flesh white, sugary, delicate and juicy at first, but soon becomes mealy; seeds very pointed. Head of the tree open, with a few declining branches. – A.J. Downing, The fruits and fruit trees of America, 1846.

Amire Joannet (Joannet; Petit St. Jean; St. Jean; Early Sugar; Harvest Pear). Fruit small, regularly pyriform. Skin very smooth, at first of a pale greenish-yellow colour, which changes as it ripens to deep waxen yellow, and with a tinge of red next the sun. Eye open, with stout, erect segments, placed even with the surface. Stalk an inch and a half to an inch and three quarters long, stout and fleshy at the insertion. Flesh white, tender, juicy, sugary, and pleasantly flavoured, but soon becomes mealy. – R. Hogg, The Fruit Manual, 1860.

Amire Joannet. This fruit is small, form oblong ; the skin, when ripe, is light yellow, with a small portion of red ; the flesh white, and when not overripe, juicy and good. It ripens in July, about ten days before the Petit Muscat, to which it is superior in size and flavor. The head of the tree is open, with a few long and hanging branches. – R. Manning, The New England Fruit Book, 1844."

"

8 Likes

Sounds exciting Clark. Have you tried grafting it to OHxF? Is it susceptible to Fireblight?

2 Likes

I tried it on ohxf333 but due to weather im not sure we can say it failed due to compatability. Grafting to harrow delight is nearly the same because it has old home in its genetics. Harrow Delight Pear

4 Likes

Amire Joannet has been a strong growing pear so far.

3 Likes

Excellent results so far with this pear. Several grafts grew a foot or two!

3 Likes

Comparing this with other types of pears i grafted last year it makes the others look like virus infected whimps! A very strong growing pear! We will see what this year brings

2 Likes

Pruned until I found my amire joannet tag and removed fireblight as I went. Previously listed it as an unknown pear but it was my suspicion it was this one. 2 years to bloom 3 years to fruit I think. That gets fireblights attention!

This was before the storm that came through last night.

1 Like

Wow. Fluffy showy flowers. Super happy for you. Nice when a plan comes together

1 Like

@noogy

You likely noticed I used the extra branches as mulch which were callery overgrowth. That was my fault as I wasn’t feeling well last year I didn’t prune back that undergrowth. That tree would have fruited heavier this year and been twice as tall. It’s opened up now so it can get some air flowing through there now.

One thing at a time:) I have this really wet and nasty clay spot that was planted with Bartlett/Bosc. Was bulldozed and am tempted with callery, but is not full sun. My other thought is along both sides of a drainage ditch, no irrigation.

1 Like

@noogy

Callery won’t mind it will adapt to that quickly. Add a pear that does not need sun as bad like kosui to the callery. Amire joanett won’t work there.

Definitely going to get some seeds and pre plant them ensitu

1 Like

You could hust order the rootstocks FRUIT TREE SEEDLINGS | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings plant them this year and graft next year. If callery are not allowed in your area plant Betulaefolia Pear rootstock but they do get larger.

1 Like

Kosui is actually the Only pear left on my get asap list…

1 Like

I got ‘Reimer’ Betch from Fowler a decade ago, but they’re out a few mo ago

1 Like

Consider ordering that bundle of pear rootstocks 100 for $1.23 each from williamette you could have whatever you wanted. They will grow anywhere trust me I know from experience.

That’s cheap. should cover both sides

1 Like

@noogy

Recognize the name from GW we been at this stuff awhile. Hopefully your the same person.
Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

Yes I would plant the rootstocks and graft them as oppurtunities come up. Really like this ancient pear hope I can grow it Long term.

2 Likes

Yup! Hahaha. My previous orchard. I just can’t stay away from pears and some of my fenced in areas aren’t hospitable for hazelnuts… Yay

1 Like

I wouldnt hesitate to saddle down any of the bet/call with any asian, but are there any euros that wouldnt vegetate too high and delay flowering?

1 Like