Amusingly Bad Garden Advice

Apparently the Rat-X worked for this guy: Why Rat X Is The Only Rat Poison I Will Ever Use - Safe & Effective - Mousetrap Monday - YouTube. Seems to have mixed results per Amazon reviews.

Corn meal laced with just 1% poison is still poison.

But it doesn’t kill the mice. in fact I got more baby mice in the house. I started feeding them that whatever X stuff 4 months ago. Bought big bag of the bait , now the second bag of the bait is all eaten,more well fed mice🙄

3 Likes

The rat x stuff actually works pretty well if you do not let it get wet. Bunch of people use it here since its dry it is very effective actually and I find it funny that corn gluten kills rodents. My mom uses it since her cat is not very effective.

It mummifies them, If you force me to i will show you a picture of what it does to the rodents since i found one in a wall at my moms house and it was a mummified butt and since i was working for free and forced to see it and deal with it i made her look too.

1 Like

Glad to hear it works for someone, but it did not work here. My baits were never wet since they were all inside the house.

1 Like

You know what they say, when you see one there is up to one hundred. Very rarely there is just one

1 Like

That is so right. But two big bag can kill quite a lot of mice too.

1 Like

The one pound bag would kill 32 mice and it takes a day or so for them to die and dessicate. If you have rats that would only kill 8-16 per lb. If your open to redoing some dry wall you can find them.

no rats, only mice that got in after my cat died. I actually use mouse traps as well and killed 4

1 Like

How about the many things deer supposedly won’t eat?

3 Likes

A friend of mine, a beginner gardener, is very excited about different way of doing garden. This year she was advised to do “bale planting”. You need straw bails($8 a piece in our area), blood meal($10 a bag) and you basically should make quick compost from whole bale(tied), adding blood meal and watering. The bale supposed to get hot, then cool, then you add more blood meal and repeat for 2 weeks. When I asked her why not to plant just in the pots (she can’t plant in the ground) she couldn’t answer my question clearly… I suggested that she could spread used bails in fall around her raspberries that grow in poor soil…
Yesterday she called me again. To make long story short - after two weeks and several bags of blood meal her bails never got hot. To the raspberry patch they come!:grin: I guess raspberries will be very happy!

5 Likes

@galinas,
I need to ask, who told her that?

There are all sorts of method floating around on the internet. It takes intelligent to screen out which one work which one doesn’t

I do not remember honestly, I think she watched some you-tube video, but I do not remember who recommended it, but somebody did, she told me that.

1 Like

I agree, but I don’t think it is even worse it to try something so expensive, unless it is ONLY way to grow some dream of yours… Spend tens of dollars on one-two tomatoes IMHO is doesn’t make sense to start with, even if it works, you can get same results much cheaper. And I am not a person who hesitate to spend money on the garden, but only spend them if it makes a difference between to harvest or not to harvest that dream of mine :grin:

5 Likes

Same here. Got spend with some sense👊. But there are a lot of lack of common sense people out there. Let them pay tuition to learn some is not a bad thing

3 Likes

Lord knows I’ve paid my share! Just make the checks out to “School of Hard Knocks, College of Life”.

8 Likes

I think i have a doctorate from The Homer Simpson University of !Doh!

5 Likes

Maybe ask her to add compost and soil to it since she already has it and flush the blood meal out decently well. My neighbor has some really cute straw bale planters and they actually seem to work pretty well and were free for them so it makes great sense. They are definitely full of soil and compost however. They do insulate really well i think they get as good of air as the fabric pots and seem to stay cool as they are in a full sun location that bakes most things. My negative would be rodents, but we have a mass of snakes and cats around.

3 Likes

Yes, you have a good point about insulation in summer heat. This is actually one advantage I missed about the bails. But she already planted in the pots.

2 Likes