Annoying comments

Hey Alan, I think your last post was removed, but the answer is of course not! :relaxed:

My first computer was an Apple IIe. My father worked on Whirlwind at MIT, it took up a whole floor!

I was reading Alan’s response to Liz when it disappeared.

Thanks Liz for assuring me that I am not hallucinating. I had similar experience on another thread yesterday.

1 Like

this thread was going places… Commodore 64 for me

1 Like

As long as it includes a grizzly and nasty death…:blush::eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: of the animal pest

MIke

Lizzy, I decided not to keep it up, but I’m glad you saw it and you didn’t get angry. I guess I didn’t see the point in possibly getting someone else angry about a virtually religious issue. Sometimes I would probably be better served to wait a minute before hitting the Reply button.

1 Like

What animal might that be Mike?

One that grosses me out is the puppy-monkey-baby.

Ha! I hate the puppy-monkey-baby!

My first computer as a kid was the first IBM PC (that dad bought for his consulting work). It had no hard drive, and you loaded the OS (DOS) from a floppy!

And I’ll jump in with a small opinion, because I’m pretty fearless and also laid back, so no harm meant at all: DWN, respectfully, if someone strikes you as politically correct, maybe ignore it if it bothers you. I mean if it’s just their own opinion, they can give it without it having to have a huge effect on discussion, imho. I know that when I state something that sounds ‘politically correct’ to some, it is just an opinion like any other opinion I have. It’s not always a guilt trip. I debate more than I guilt trip! Guilt tripping is something I reserve for boyfriends, usually :wink:

1 Like

For those trying hard to keep thread on topic I’m sorry, but talk of the old computers was fun. I had the old TRS-80 “color computer” which used a tv as a monitor and -wait for it- a cassette tape recorder as a storage device! I ran an electronic " bulletin board" which was like a web page that only one person could use at a time! They had to call in using a phone- you would set the handset of the phone down into a “modem” that would translate sounds into letters and symbols. My neighbor and I figured out a way to use a CB radio (another old-school device) to send the sounds over the air and we were kings of the world (we thought) because we were “wireless”. hahaha. Those were the days!

2 Likes

Algol, anyone?

Autocoder?

not sure why the musicians of past genres and of same heritage, who can play an instrument and do vocals(often simultaneously) like george duke, nat king cole, louis armstrong, stevie wonder, george benson, tracy chapman, etc. have been drowned out by the now more popular and more highly-paid successors–kanye, jay-z, lil wayne, etc. who won’t do much other than ‘recite poetry’(and often with foul language or insinuations)

perhaps it is subjective, but easy to argue the form and substance have in fact regressed by a country mile, and the youth of today have no idea what true talents sound like.

oh well, this thread has digressed way into the boonies. But maybe not–since my entry still fits the bill–as another ‘annoying comment’ lol

Yes, I felt the same way and I usually am the guy who strays way off topic. This has to be one of my best examples. I’m a huge Zappa fan, and you know he can’t play and sing. he does both, but never at the same time. On the other hand, Adrian Belew who was discovered by Frank, and went on to play with Bowie, Talking Heads, Laurie Anderson, Paul Simon, Robert Fripp, etc etc not only can sing and play guitar but can sing in one time signature and play in another. A good example is “Three of a Perfect Pair” By King Crimson. What an excellent piece too. The best example is Belew doing it acoustically, such as on the Salad Days Album.

This is my topic, or at least I am its creator, and I think it is totally fine when a topic veers off course after the original subject has been thoroughly gone over. It has a lot to do with timing- no one who starts a topic wants focus to shift from their subject before it has even been discussed.

I am happy that members of the forum are enjoying themselves here.

Lizzy, if you want to discuss your slant to the original topic, I suggest you start another. Your idea and question will likely get much more attention that way. I will even write a comment similar to the one I erased.

3 Likes

@mrsg47

Lizzy said…

I was thinking of the rabbits, squirrels, racoons, voles, moles etc that so enrich our lives.

I guess a joke that has to be explained is not a very good one :blush:

Mike

Having several times considered switching from computers to marketing, current market strategies blow my mind. Once you start critically thinking about commercials you can’t stop. The puppy monkey baby thing is a prime example. Their tag line is something about combining threr awesome things, and I don’t understand how they didn’t realize that their creation is a horrible abomination, which implies that their product is likewise disgusting.

Similarly, take a look at the number of commercials that essentially advertise is you’re a complete illogical idiot you should consider their product. I actually switched from Tide during my divorce a few years back but I found it so annoying they literally address their marketing to Mom on the packaging. Yeah, well angry sad ex-husband prefers Arm and Hammer.

4 Likes

Well one saving grace is I have no idea what product they were selling? This is my pet peeve, most of the time, I don’t even know what they are selling!
Advertising today is terrible! The idea of a repetitive catch phrase with product name. The watchers don’t have to like it, it just has to work. When I’m eating a salty food that I think “things go better with coke” That I think of the product when I need that type of product. Where’s the beef??
I agree with you too I guess puppy-monkey-baby is a catch phrase, but as you say do you really want that associated with your product? What is the product btw? I really don’t know?

1 Like

You are re-living college for me here. We would put our speakers out the dorm window and educate the “masses” with blastings of Talking Heads and King Crimson :smile: At least until the counselors complained.

Yes, A guy in my complex did that too, I remember one morning about 6AM he blasts out the National Anthem, that was funny! College was some of the best years in my life, we had a blast! I still see my friends from back then time to time.
Two years ago we all got together, and it was like we picked up right where we left off, that was a lot of fun to see all my college friends again. Actually I’m renting a room to one right now for 2 months.