Another Grafting Tool thread

I would like to make one of these tools in this video. I like how they show start to finish. I like how they show how easy it is to wax your grafts. I didnā€™t like wax on my peach grafts last year though. I think taping is better for peach.

1 Like

Look up Daxā€™s thread on the New Zealand clone grafting tool. It is basically a hand held model of the same tool, and can be found for for around 22.dollars if you search or around 50-75 if you prefer a different sourceā€¦

1 Like

Is this the tool your talking about? I like the one above for bigger stock. What Iā€™m thinking of trying is saving a rabbit girdled tree by grafting the whole tree. My one year old Candy Heart is about one inch caliber.

https://www.banggood.com/Aluminum-Alloy-V-Cut-Grafting-Tool-29-cm-Clean-Cut-Grafting-Tool-p-1120598.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=USA

That is the one. It will easily cut stock the size shown in the video.

1 Like

I want to go a bit more in width.

Thatā€™s my buddy ā€œgrafting with machined tool.ā€ He built it while he was working as a machine and tool die cast maker many-many years ago.

I have the 450$ Fieldcraft Topgrafter & the 22-30$ replicate. The 450$ tool will cut 1" wood but it cuts 3/4" cleaner. The replicate I can cut close to 1/2" I suppose but I had to use a round rasp file to notch out the top of the tool. If you look at the distance between the blades and the top of the tool thatā€™s the maximum scion width that tool will cut. So I opened it up another 1/4". The Fieldcraft Topgrafter has a giant opening above the blades until it reaches metal. So thatā€™s why the very less expensive tool needs that modification. Let me tell you for 30$ that tool is worth itsā€™ weight in gold. It works awesome.

The omega tools cut the omega of course but ā€œstiffā€ wood is tough to get complete contact inside the omega shape. a V cut isnā€™t difficult to wrap two scion and rootstock tight. You canā€™t do that with omega.

I didnā€™t watch the first video but Iā€™m going to assume itā€™s the Topgrafter tool set up mechanically. The Fieldcraft comes as a manual or electrical set-up.

Dax

Those are the four links from that thread you should look at. Thereā€™s a red one and a tan one. The guys say the red one is built better. You can get them on Amazon and Ebay all day and night.

I bought a bunch of extra replacement blades because I like having years and years and years worth of ā€œtoolsā€ ready to go. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Hot-blade-Free-Shipping-vegetable-grafter-tree-grafting-tool-Spare-blade-fruit-engrafter-Fruit-Trees/32799015736.html?spm=a2g0x.search0104.3.1.1sYOjS&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10152_10065_10151_10344_10068_10130_10345_10324_10342_10547_10325_10343_10546_10340_10341_10548_10545_10541_10562_10084_10083_10307_5680011_10178_10060_10155_10154_10056_10055_10539_10537_10312_10059_10313_10314_10534_10533_100031_10103_10073_10102_10557_10558_10142_10107

1 Like

I would like to make a holder for those.

My holder is a bucket. :wink: It contains grafting tool, pruning saw, tapes, labels, cut to length twist tie, a board to put across the bucket to write the tags; band aids, bud strips, paper towels/cloth towels. Iā€™m adding this year and a small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean my knives and grafting tools. Pencils (many) a box knife to sharpen the pencils. And I carry a small cooler with scions and I bring a large cooler with a ton of scions, too.

Dax

2 Likes

Yes I like everything about it.

1 Like

Itā€™s a fantastic tool.

Cheers,

Dax

Ditto what he said. This is the tool that you want.

Is the red one no longer available. I canā€™t seem to find it online.

Hi FarmGirl,

I never looked for one. Go on aliexpress or alibaba and youā€™ll probably find one. Get yourself replacement blades at the same time. I bought (5) I think myself cause they were like 4-5 bucks each.

Dax

1 Like

Thanks, Barkslip. I think Iā€™m just going to get the Fieldcraft Topgrafter (and some buddy tape). Itā€™s not that I want to pay more, but I need something very reliable that I donā€™t have to modify, plus I can get it locally and take it back if it isnā€™t working for some reason. I have about 100 grafts to do this year and Iā€™m VERY new at grafting. I want the best shot at the grafts taking. The tool should pay for itself (in savings) this first season.

2 Likes

I have one of those and it is beautifully made indeed!

2 Likes

Thanks for the endorsement! That makes me feel better about spending the $$$ on it. :slight_smile:

Edited to say that I am probably going to get a cheap knock off too and let my son work on modifying it. I donā€™t have time to fool with it this year, meaning I have a lot of grafts that I really want to take. But I have a lot of ā€œplayā€ material laying around too (we have +500 fruiting trees/shurbs). He can see if he can get it working on the ā€œplayā€ stuff and maybe turn a little profit by selling his trees. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Youā€™ll love it indeed. Itā€™s masterfully crafted and itsā€™ weight is powerful to the user. Anyway, both are good. A round rasp is all you/your son will need for a less than 5-minute mod to the other tool.

Remember . . . would you wrap a bandage tight on your finger or would you remove it to make it more comfortable. Would that same bandage have wet skin under it/ā€œin unisonā€? No. The answer is definitely - No.

You want your field grafts whether wax covered or parafilm covered that the scion/rootstock/& union to be dry when waxed/parafilmed. Otherwise like with human skin ā€“ decay sets in as does fungus or mold when it has to do with trees. So if you are bench grafting and dipping in wax w/ water be sure the wax goes on smoothly without water as a by-product.

Wrap so that the smaller or larger grafts are held together with your fingers first and so you are able to either walk around if necessary indoors dancing w/ that graft until you see no light thru any lines made from your cuts that are held together ultimately with grafting rubbers/parafilm tape/electrical tape, other and once itā€™s together comfortably for the plant, youā€™ve done it right. If itā€™s too tight (or) too loose youā€™ll end up with unions that couldnā€™t callus (too loose -very rare) or t00 tight (common) where youā€™ll have rings from the material used to hold the grafting materials together from wrapping too tightly.

Thereā€™s so much to see for you coming up; however, you have a tool or tools that create the easiest to put together ā€œbuilding blocksā€ Iā€™ve ever seen and as others are now commenting about, also.

Well worth the money I must say.

Best regardd,s

Dax

4 Likes

Thanks for all of the encouragement and advise! I wish I could give you 100 :heartpulse: likes!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been working so much. I love your comment. Thanks :hugs:

Dax

3 Likes

Well, I was finally able to get my new fieldcraft topgrafter! I also picked up a few other grafting tools. The link shows a video of them in action. I could hardly wait to try the Fieldcraft out. I rushed right out and got started. :slight_smile:

3 Likes