Another Grafting Tool thread

Thanks, Barkslip. I think I’m just going to get the Fieldcraft Topgrafter (and some buddy tape). It’s not that I want to pay more, but I need something very reliable that I don’t have to modify, plus I can get it locally and take it back if it isn’t working for some reason. I have about 100 grafts to do this year and I’m VERY new at grafting. I want the best shot at the grafts taking. The tool should pay for itself (in savings) this first season.

2 Likes

I have one of those and it is beautifully made indeed!

2 Likes

Thanks for the endorsement! That makes me feel better about spending the $$$ on it. :slight_smile:

Edited to say that I am probably going to get a cheap knock off too and let my son work on modifying it. I don’t have time to fool with it this year, meaning I have a lot of grafts that I really want to take. But I have a lot of “play” material laying around too (we have +500 fruiting trees/shurbs). He can see if he can get it working on the “play” stuff and maybe turn a little profit by selling his trees. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’ll love it indeed. It’s masterfully crafted and its’ weight is powerful to the user. Anyway, both are good. A round rasp is all you/your son will need for a less than 5-minute mod to the other tool.

Remember . . . would you wrap a bandage tight on your finger or would you remove it to make it more comfortable. Would that same bandage have wet skin under it/“in unison”? No. The answer is definitely - No.

You want your field grafts whether wax covered or parafilm covered that the scion/rootstock/& union to be dry when waxed/parafilmed. Otherwise like with human skin – decay sets in as does fungus or mold when it has to do with trees. So if you are bench grafting and dipping in wax w/ water be sure the wax goes on smoothly without water as a by-product.

Wrap so that the smaller or larger grafts are held together with your fingers first and so you are able to either walk around if necessary indoors dancing w/ that graft until you see no light thru any lines made from your cuts that are held together ultimately with grafting rubbers/parafilm tape/electrical tape, other and once it’s together comfortably for the plant, you’ve done it right. If it’s too tight (or) too loose you’ll end up with unions that couldn’t callus (too loose -very rare) or t00 tight (common) where you’ll have rings from the material used to hold the grafting materials together from wrapping too tightly.

There’s so much to see for you coming up; however, you have a tool or tools that create the easiest to put together “building blocks” I’ve ever seen and as others are now commenting about, also.

Well worth the money I must say.

Best regardd,s

Dax

4 Likes

Thanks for all of the encouragement and advise! I wish I could give you 100 :heartpulse: likes!

3 Likes

I’ve been working so much. I love your comment. Thanks :hugs:

Dax

3 Likes

Well, I was finally able to get my new fieldcraft topgrafter! I also picked up a few other grafting tools. The link shows a video of them in action. I could hardly wait to try the Fieldcraft out. I rushed right out and got started. :slight_smile:

3 Likes