Anybody growing Taishu in the U.S.?

Ram, you should try to grow the Hyakume (PVNA) persimmon, it is very good, sweet and can be eaten while crunchy. If you want to eat soft fruits, just wait until the fruits that are not pollinated gets soft. I prefer the hard crunchy persimmons only. I have other non-astringent asian persimmons which also tastes good (fuyu, jiro, large unknown variety).

1 Like

Hi Kaz,
This year my Jiro was pollinated for the first time. And the flavor was so good. Much sweeter than store bought Jiro. Brix was between 19-22. Store bought (unpollinated) was only 14 or so. I heard they prefer pollinated fruit in Japan.

I don’t know if our season is long enough for Hyakume. @scottfsmith said that he had trouble ripening it. Our seasons are shorter than his.
But I am growing Maru, Zenji Maru and will be adding some other PVNA varieties also.

1 Like

My Hyakume fruits are done ripening. Here’s a photo comparing the pollinated and non-pollinated fruits.

8 Likes

The Scionwoods are starting to arrive. If anyone can confirm the translations.

5 Likes

The one labeled “LiYu” is probably known as the Japanese cultivar, Reigyoku. Liyu is a Chinese reading of the same name.

1 Like

I will be grafting Okugosho this coming spring. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Okugosho is PCNA and regularly produces male flowers.

Should be interesting if only from a breeding perspective.

1 Like

Okugosho would be another possible cross with JT-02 to produce a PCNA hybrid, but the offspring would then be >50% Okugosho. I don;'t know whether Okugosho is good enough for that to be a desirable outcome.

Well, they bred Suruga out of Okugosho and Hanagosho. And Suruga is supposedly the sweetest PCNA persimmon by many accounts. But very late.

JT02 x Okugosho might be interesting for both its male and female offspring.

1 Like

Sweetness isn’t everything. Suruga is known for cracking.

Suruga was released in 1959. The Japanese breeding program has produced a bunch of Okugosho x Hanagosho crosses. None except Suruga has been released. All are used for breeding. One grandparent of Taishu is such a cross.

I know nothing, of course, but I get the impression that the best trait of the goshos is their production of male flowers.

Edit – p.s. OK, maybe I overstated the case. Soshu (2007) has been described as the “best yet” release – and it is early. By my quick calculation, Soshu is 3/8 Fuyu, 1/8 Fukurogosho, and 1/2 Okugosho. So Okugosho apparently has more to offer than NA and male flowers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. it is this variety. I was sent the technical sheet in Japanese with. Here is part of the translation.
The variety is protected by a patent.
Very early.
Male flower.

Reigyoku
“Reidoku” is an early maturing sweet oyster that has a good taste and can produce seedless fruits. To be peculiarly likely to occur in complete sweet oysters
October, about 10 days earlier than “Matsumoto Wase Fuyu”, which is a representative full sweet oyster cultivar with almost no tasuki fruit.
It can be harvested around mid to late. The fruit has a lot of juice and the flesh is soft, so it has a good taste. Without pollinating trees around
Stable production of seedless fruit is possible because there is little early fruit drop. Adapted to areas with high summer and autumn temperatures, the Matsumoto Wasetomi
Cultivation is possible in “yes” or “rich” cultivation areas.
Main characteristics

1. Early maturity, less premature drop of fruit, and almost no damaged fruits such as rotten fruit and cracked fruit on the apex.
    Seeds.
  2. The vigor of the tree is similar to that of ‘Matsumoto Wase Fuyu’, and the tree shape is between open and upright (Table 1). Epiphysis of female flowers is the same as ‘Matsumoto Wase Fuyu’
    In rare cases, it produces male flowers. The flowering period of the female flowers is almost the same as ‘Matsumoto Wasefuyu’. In addition, late fruit drop
    does not occur.
  3. The fruit harvest period is mid-to-late October at the cultivation site (Akitsu-cho, Higashi-Hiroshima City, Hiroshima Prefecture), at least 10 days after ‘Matsumoto Wase Fuyu’.
    It can be harvested quickly (Table 1).
  4. The fruit is slightly tall and rounded and flattened. The peel is orange and the seeds are evenly distributed (Figs. 1 and 2). Fruit weight averaged
    At 278g, the fruit was about the same size as “Matsumoto Wase Fuyu”, but in prototype tests at testing and research institutions nationwide,
    When flattened, the fruit was slightly smaller than ‘Matsumoto Wase Fuyu’ (Table 2).
  5. The sugar content is about 18%, which is higher than that of Matsumoto Wase Fuyu.'' The pulp hardness is lower and softer than Matsumoto Wase Fuyu,‘’ and it has more juice.
    Therefore, the taste is good (Table 2).
  6. Apical fissures and flattened fruits rarely occur. Stained fruits are less likely to occur and the appearance is excellent (Table 2).
  7. It has a long shelf life for an early maturing cultivar, comparable to ``Matsumoto Wase Fuyu’’ (Table 2).
  8. Due to its high parthenocarpic power, it is possible to stably produce seedless fruits, which are in high demand by consumers, without the need for pollinating trees (Table 3). na
    Oh, in order to produce seedless fruit, an environment without pollinating trees is necessary.

2 Likes

So I assume “sweet oyster” =persimmon in the translation.

Seems like an interesting variety. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Matsumoto Wase also an early variety?

Often it doesn’t translate to soft khaki, or not astringent… but on the photo you can see that the flesh is dark, probably a PVNA.
If it wasn’t interesting, it wouldn’t be patented.

Matsumoto Wase Fuyu is one of the earliest

In these varieties in photo you have 2 other PCNA much more interesting than this one. Forgetting Taishu

1 Like

I think “sweet oyster” is a mistranslation of “non-astringent kaki.”

In the technical sheet, the variety is recommended for seedless production. That seems an unlikely suggestion for a PVNA, which is astringent without seeds. So I’m guessing that the variety is PCNA.

Edit: Yes, PCNA confirmed. Google "A. Sato (2019) "New persimmon cultivar ‘Reigyoku’ "

New persimmon cultivar ‘Reigyoku’…pdf (311.9 KB)

1 Like

The Japanese word for oyster is also kaki like the word for persimmon and I believe it can be written the same way depending on the script being used to write the language. Translating apps can’t pick up on this or use context which is why terminology gets muddied.

3 Likes

This abstract suggests that a persimmon can be PCNA and express the pollination variant trait too. The genes for pollination variance are independent from the PCNA gene from what I gather since the traits result from different mechanisms. Maybe this is what we see with Reigyoku.

@PharmerDrewee – See the pdf that I attached above. The variety is described by the developers as PCNA.

I understand that. I’m pointing out a possible explanation for the dark flesh Arhus76 noticed.

1 Like

Got it. So if I understand the reference, Fuyu seeds express ethanol, which is the result of some PV genes. Fuyu flesh also contains small amounts of tannins. So a seeded Fuyu will be slightly browned. Is that the gist?

I assume that PV is a quantitative trait, which is why there can be PVA (less) as well as PVNA (more) varieties. Is it reasonable to suppose that in the universe of PCNA varieties and strains, there are varying degrees of PV? And might this account for reports of flavor differences between seeded and unseeded PCNAs?

2 Likes

Exactly! The pollination variant gene(s) is/are widespread in Japan as reflected in the many PV varieties out there that came about from chance seedlings.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m having an epiphany. . . .

Assume a variety is heterogenous for a trait. Assume that the variety will sometimes makes make flowers and that it can pollinate itself. Seedling offspring will not be identical. Any one individual could end up with more or less of a quantitative trait. Or it could end up homozygous for the recessive trait.

Now I understand why Japanese breeders often crossed a variety (e.g.Okugosho) with itself then selected cultivars for future use.

1 Like