Anyone else grafting on G890 rootstock this season? What height should I graft on G890 the rootstocks are ¼" but my scions are really skinny?

Anyone else grafting on G890 rootstock this season?
What height should I graft on G890 the rootstocks are ¼" but my scions are really skinny?
I just potted five G890 rootstocks from Grandpa’s Nursery in 2gal pots ready to be cleft grafted with a really excellent unknown variety I found Infront of a abandoned house. Is cleft graft the best option in this situation?

5 Likes

I don’t see why cleft grafting would be an issue.

The common recommendation is not to graft too high but I don’t want to repeat that without evidence or a reason. Since G890 is not prone to burr knots, it probably isn’t as big issue of an issue as it would be with, say, M111.

2 Likes

I have decided to no longer use G-890, but the cleft grafts will work good in this situation.

2 Likes

Why have you stopped using g 890 if you dont mind me asking.

2 Likes

I did a dozen or so grafts onto g890 yesterday. Ive heard they sometimes have a weak union, so all grafts were either whip & tongue or cleft. Ive got northern spy, harrison, topaz and roxbury russet on this stock which are coming into their 5th year. I had Dabinett on it as well but that tree just never seemed to put on growth so I took it out last fall.

2 Likes

I have never seen any actual evidence that g890 has a weak graft union. Only g41 has shown weak graft unions in trials.

4 Likes

Here’s some data on G series rootstocks. I use 969, but 890 seems promising as well (just not as dwarfing): jmcextman: NC-140 rootstocks gone rogue?

2 Likes

I had a five year old G-890 apple tree snap cleanly at the graft in a freak windstorm last year. That event coupled with a thread on here discussing similar events scared me off.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone i got fivè g890 rootstocks cleft grafted at 8 inches high with the unknown apple variety I found

2 Likes

Ouch that would hurt. I grafted low hopefully to lessen the chances of snapping

2 Likes

I’ll have to keep an eye on mine. I have probably 50 on G890 but the oldest ones are 2 years old.

2 Likes

In a way it was my fault. I had a good post to tether it too, but hadn’t got to it yet. But I graft trees to sell and thought it was an unnecessary risk for the homeowner gardeners. I went with G-969 this year.

3 Likes

I will have to try some G969 next year and see how they do. I have multiple varieties of rootstock im trying out, but my main one has been G890.

3 Likes

I have not been impressed with the “G” series of rootstocks at all. I did try two different apples on G 890 this year just in case this rootstock would be better. By the sound of it probably not. If this G890 does not do well I am staying clear of the " G" series.

2 Likes

what didnt you like about the G series? i havent tried any myself just g890 this year.

2 Likes

how are the 2 year old doing on g890?

1 Like

They are doing great so far. Most put on 3-5 ft of growth the first year.

1 Like

All the “G” series rootstocks I have cracked horribly when we had a huge rain in one day- 3" to 4". They cracked all around the entire rootstock. I have two each of two different “G” rootstocks - G11/M111 and G202.
One G11 tree is tiny and spindly ( 5’ tall)- looks like a fake ornamental tree.The other G11 tree is bigger and not spindly yet not really a full canopy- still sort of spindly yet taller. The tiny G11 I will take that out next year. Replace it with something else besides a “G” series rootstock.
The one G202 has given me great harvest of apples when we have no late frosts or freezes. The other G202 has given me maybe a half dozen apples. It is small and spindly as well. That one is coming out as well. I have the same apple on an M111 rootstock I planted last year. Once that one produces fruit I can compare product quality and output.
So two out of four are sort of worthless as far as fruit output. I have had them in the ground since about 2014 or so. So it is not that they are too young. The one apple, on the G11, I have not had a decent one to taste yet. This year that one tree has lots of blooms, perhaps this is the year I get some good fruit from it to see if it is an actually apple I want in my orchard.
I will try and post a pic of the four together. As a comparison.

Pic of the G series trees attached.

2 Likes

I think the potential problems associated with the G series rootstock are that they were developed for the commercial grower. Commercially apple trees are no longer grown on free standing trees. They place very high number of trees closely spaced and grown as a modified espalier. They are grown on horizontal wire supports. The G series are probably superb in this situation. The unanswered question for the homeowner (who probably buys 1% of the g series) will the trees survive and produce free standing? The jury is out.

3 Likes

Ok thank you

1 Like