Anyone else love Passiflora (passion fruit) like I do? I may be a little obsessed and have too many

I have a pretty large 10 year old p. Edulis vine that has a trunk about the size of my leg… the vine grows on a pergola above. Is it. Possible to graft on other varieties? I’m guessing mine is Frederick

Maybe graft on upper branches?

2 Likes

7 Likes

I can only compare to edulis for eating. Black Knight is less tart, less juicy (tho this may due to our dryer conditions), and a little more intensely flavored. I actually prefer it, despite enjoying exclusively edulis for most of my life. The color of the pulp is a beautiful deep orange. Frederick’s is abundant among our network, but I haven’t even bothered to try it because we are so happy with the BK.

BK is also somewhat compact, compared to Frederick and edulis. It’s maintained a polite and yet bushy growth habit on its trellis (perhaps 12ft).

1 Like

Yes you can. I have a old/larger purple fruiting vine not as fat as your, but maybe 15 years old, and I grafted the Passiflora decaisneana on my lowest branch and it 2 years it was as big as the purple vine. Also had the first fruits at 2-1/2 yrs, it needed hand pollination and I got 43 full size fruits on it. It is milldly sweet and has no acidity. Here’ a few photos of it, if I haven’t already posted some photos here.

7 Likes

Mine seems to be more tart. More in line with the Lilikoi that I had had in Hawaii.

1 Like

Yes, I like the big yellow passion fruit I showed above since it is not as tart as the Lilikoi. It is more sweet than tart, it is better tasting than any purple color passion fruit like the Fredericks, Possum Purple, Starry Night, and the rest. The only other popular one I have but did not taste any fruits yet is the Panama Red. I like this Dennis Big Yellow passion fruit more than the P.decaisneana because it has a little tartness. If you like no tart at all then the P.decaisneana is the one for you.

MaracujA, thanks for your response on the Black Knight fruit taste. I didn’t know the inside color of the pulp was deep orange, that’s great news. I don’t think any others I have tried (except my Dennis Yellow) has the orange pulp.

I noticed the Black Knight vine grows fast. I purchase a few plants in a small pot earlier this year, and now it is over 4 ft long. I better put it in a larger pot now. Also planning to graft it to my plain purple fruit since that vine is very large.

1 Like

I’m so smitten by this Passiflora decaisneana vine. We are planning a big garden upgrade and would ideally like to trellis this in a prominent location.

How vigorous do you find it to be? How many feet?

And is it very hard to source, in your experience?

Thanks

1 Like

It is easy to root the cutitngs, also can graft it on a large vine like a Fredericks or any of the purple fruit varieties.

This variety (p.decaisneana) is very vigorous, my grafted scion was 4" long when I did it 2-1/2 years ago. When it first fruited at that time (43 fruits) the vine grew over the entire blood orange tree I have and also the purple passion fruit vine. So maybe a carpet of vine 10-15 feet long x 10 ft along the block wall and above my orange tree.

If you are in CA, I can sell or trade some cuttings with you. I’m in SoCal so send me a message about any trade you would like to do.

2 Likes

I think? in the original cultivar description in the Register of New Fruit and Nut Cultivars, BK was described as being lower vigor, which is why it stays compact. It still grows like a weed for me in 5b in a heated greenhouse. It’s described as compact, but the internodes aren’t really any shorter as far as I can tell. Mine vine came from Raintree.

3 Likes

I noticed this really pretty flower around the corner growing through a bunch of flower bushes. It comes back every year and makes purple colored fruit. I took a pic of it last year but can’t find it. I also googled it and said some South America flower some people eat the fruit but didn’t say it was a Passion Fruit so I was afraid to try it. I’m assuming it’s a PF from other’s pictures.

3 Likes

It’s definitely some kind of Passiflora, probably edulis if it has purple fruit, but I’m sure there are other purple-fruited species/hybrids.

EDIT: actually those leaves look more lost like caerulea but I don’t know if that ever has purple fruit.

3 Likes

That really looks like a Passiflora Caerulea or Blue Crown passion flower. They produce small yellow fruit. I would be super curious to see pictures of the fruit. But 100%, it is a passiflora.

4 Likes

I’ll get a pic of its leaves that is growing in a few other large flower plants about 7’ tall so they’re all mixed up.

I’m pretty sure they were purple but I really think they might have been blue. I will definitely update when I see the fruit.

1 Like

Question for those who grow Frederick . . .

Does your plant self-pollinate? The descriptions say that it does, but mine does not. I get plenty of fruit if I hand pollinate, but none if I do not.

Thoughts? My plant was planted in 2015, did not grow fruit the first year despite flowering. In the 2nd year, no pollination took place until I read up on hand pollinating. If I do not hand pollinate, the flowers do not produce.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

The blue in the common name for caerulea is for the flowers. The fruit is usually yellow-orange and egg-shaped, I think.

3 Likes

Are you collecting pollen from some other vine? If not, and you’re just applying pollen from one part of the flower to another (or between flowers on the same vine), then this is actually proof that the vine is indeed self-fertile as advertised. It sounds like maybe your flowers aren’t attracting enough pollinators. Do you spray insecticide, or is this grown indoors or somewhere pollinators can’t access it?

2 Likes

You bring up a very good point. Yes, technically I am self-pollinating my own plant.

My yard is entirely organic with no sprays. It’s a small garden but contains a lot of flowering plants - Lemon, Grapefruit, Lime, Kishu Mandarin, Apple, 4 blueberries, a veggie garden, and various flowers. None of my other plants have any difficulties with pollination. My yard is bordered by neighbors who also do not spray. Three of the 5 yards that border mine have citrus and/or veggie gardens.

We don’t get a ton of bees but we do get some. Maybe it’s a matter of the kind of bees? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I once read that passion fruit is best pollinated by carpenter bees.

2 Likes

Ahhhhhh! I may have answered my own question! I just read that carpenter bees HATE citrus and here I have 4 plants in my yard, 2 across the wall where the passion fruit grows, and another kitty corner.

2 Likes