Anyone else love Passiflora (passion fruit) like I do? I may be a little obsessed and have too many

Since you’re in SoCal, if you like Ruby Glow I would get Purple Tiger as well. It’s a seedling of Ruby Glow with P. quadrangularis and has larger flowers and a longer blooming season than RG.

6 Likes

That looks beautiful! Thank you for the rec.

Do you mainly have it for the flowers or have you gotten fruit too? If so, how was it?

2 Likes

Btw one of the reasons I like passiflora is that their flowers look unearthly and almost alien and so beautiful. This pic is a prime example. If I saw this, I’d just stop and stare at it for 5 mins. So cool.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Since you’ve had both vines, I wanted to ask if you saw any leaf coloration differences?

My Possum Purple vines have darker green leaves than the newly planted Frederick. And I’m wondering if that’s just an artifact of the plant having been in the ground longer and having had time to settle in vs some nutrient deficiency. I was planning to fertilize all of them with either HollyTone (4-3-4) or Fruit Tree fertilizer from Down To Earth All Natural (6-2-4).

Also - and as an aside - my Sweet Calabash is quite vigorous but lost all its leaves this winter and some smaller shoots experienced some tip dieback. However it seems to be about to roar back with the weather warming. I saw a lot of new growth at each leaf node today - albeit tiny. Still haven’t had a single flower on it.

1 Like

Identical if you’re talking about shade of green. I bet that Frederick would benefit from a bit more fert. When flowering and fruiting, passiflora tend to be heavy feeders.

2 Likes

That’s what I figured. Yes I was talking about shade of green. Thanks!

1 Like

The idea was to get fruit, but it’s definitely self-sterile and needs a pollinizer. I have not been able to successfully pollinate it using P. edulis pollen. I got fruit using P. caerulea pollen but they were stolen before I could pick them.

The vine is so lush and flowers so much that at this point I’m happy with it being purely ornamental. I did start some P. alata seed last year that I plan on using for pollen.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Sorry to hear about the stolen fruit. That seems to happen more than I’d like too. Best of luck for this year’s fruiting!

2 Likes

I found a person who has this Big Yellow passion fruit. He doesn’t know the variety name, he got his cutting from a friend.

Here’s some photos of this fruit, I tasted one, and it is better than any of the purple fruit variety I have tasted so far (Fredericks, Purple Possum, Red Rover, seedling purple).

If anyone is growing a big yellow passion fruit variety, please let me know what variety you think this is, and post any of the fruit photos you may have.

3 Likes

Is that Lilikoi or Yellow Granadilla?

Since it’s larger I’m guessing maybe Yellow Granadilla? Though I’m not sure how much to trust either link below.

Yup, that’s why I’m asking if anyone is growing one that looks just like the photos I posted. I think you are correct that is looks like Yellow Granadilla, but what varieties is what I like to know. This question has been asked to a professor at LBCC who specializes in passion fruits, and he didn’t know what it was, even after he was given a fruit to try. He said he did not believe it was a Giant Brazilian Passion fruit. But did not know either.

Notice the other large goose egg fruits seem to have the lighter color flesh that is more yellow in color. This one is more orange than yellow. Tastes really good.

determining the variety name will likely be really hard.

But if you can get a description of the flower or some pictures of it. you could probably go down to the species.

Could be a Passiflora laurifolia
But also could be
passiflora edulis flavicarpa

like mentioned before.

But those have quite different flowers. So would be easy to ID or discount those options if you have a picture or idea of what the flowers look like.

anyway those pictures look great!

1 Like

not laurifolia, yes, probably is flavicarpa. I have flower photos and checked it already, thanks. I wanted to ask if anyone is growing the same Passiflora which has same type of fruits with same color flesh.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Sorry I havent replied recently. I do have waaayyy tttooo many passifloras that I have recently grown from cuttings or seeds. Also purchase quite a few more. Here are some of the new ones I am testing out:

The following Edulis varieties: Black Knight, Panama Gold, “Lemon”, “Red Flamingo”, YxP (yellow crossed with purple from Hawaii), “Orange” and some others I am probably missing.

A few new Caeruleas: SnowPop and PinkPop

Other types: Laurifoilia, Pinnatistipula, Malformis, Decaisneana, Vitafolia, Precioso, Serrulata, platyloba, antioquiensis.

Passiflora Etna doesn’t produce fruit for me, but the flowers are pretty enough for me to keep.

Columbia Red produced small, mostly hollow fruit. I may give it one more season to see how it goes.

I was finally able to test a Passiflora Phoenecia fruit that was set by caerulea. It was big, but flavor was very bland, seeds hard, and it took over 6 month to ripen. Not sure I am a fan.

I lost my quadrangularis and nigredenia again this winter. I may try one more time for these and bring them into the send during winter when they are still small plants.

1 Like

Probably a passiflora edulis flavicarpa. Here are some pictures on mine:

2 Likes

That’s the same as what they call “lilikoi” in Hawaii right ?

Does look very similar.

Is yours also sweeter than regular other passion fruits?

Yes, I agree, it probably is, but what color the inside of your fruit?

FWIW we are growing Black Knight and are very happy with it—productive and tasty. I am from Brazil, where passiflora is abundant, and I find that Black Knight satisfies my taste. We are in east SF bay hills (California). I also enjoy the banana passion fruit others have shared with me, but ours seems to consistently drop all its fruit.

2 Likes

Good to hear someone else is growing Black Knight. I have 3 plants in pots, it seems to grow fast. How do you compare the taste of it to Fredericks, Purple Possum or Panama Red?

3 Likes