Anyone finding mushrooms?

Cepes is a french word, I guess. Most of Boletes are edible with the exception of very bitter Tylopilus felleus and poisonous satan (Rubroboletus satanas) but this is a very rare find in my country and I think that it is even protected, but cannot be mistaken with the edible ones.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I am relatively new to boletes, and have only ever eaten morels, chanterelles, hen of the woods and chicken of the woods. I suspected it was Boletus edulis. Will have to spend a bit more time researching look alikes before I get up the courage to try it.

1 Like

Are they? Could you mention a few? Around here there is nothing that resembles the characteristics of a porcini and we do have a wide variety of boletes

About to drop some mushrooms to a mushroom guy for a proper ID. I think they are Pacific Golden Chanterelle, Cantharellus formosus, but they are not usually seen on my neck of the woods

1 Like

@don1357
I don’t think those are chanterelles.?
Chanterelles have ridges , not gills .
Those look like gills to me . ( at least from what I can see in the photo )

3 Likes

Yeah… As I was working my way through the ID checklist I noticed that.

Bummer, there is a field with a ton of them.

Found this on line just for helpful purposes!

“There are four concerns with picking, cooking and eating B.edulis-like mushrooms:

1. Making sure you don’t have a poisonous bolete - like b.satanas or b.sensibilis. one method is to reject any boleteswhose flesh changes color, or at least turns blue.
  2. The possibility of a personalized allergic reaction - which of course can be serious and is almost impossible to predict.
  3. The possibility that the mushroom is growing on ground contaminated with heavy metals, which the mushroom absorbs into its flesh.
  4. The possibility of accidentally picking a species or variant which, although not poisonous, just isn’t very palatable. There are tons of these - A good example would be the Tylopilus felleus mushroom, which looks very similar to B.edulis, but instead of being delicious, is terribly bitter.
    5.*The simplest way to tell the difference is either to taste the mushroom for bitterness, spitting out the taste without swallowing, or look for “reticulation” on the stem. Reticulation is a net-like pattern sometimes found on mushrooms, often on the stems. B.edulis-like mushrooms have a whitish pattern on a brownish stem - whereas T.felleus has a dark pattern on a white stem.**”
1 Like

Don,

Those look like Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca aka false chanterelle. The underside of a true chanterelle is unmistakably ridges and not gills.

That might be Boletus atkinsonii. Boletus atkinsonii (MushroomExpert.Com)

1 Like

Serious? Then you got me amused. I collect mushrooms from my childhood and we as a nation love it so much. I can tell T. felleus from a distance and it has pink pores no need to taste it. It is not poisonous though, it can just ruin your meal. Many boletes that turn blue on the cut surface are edible so this claim is not true. I’ve yet to see satan in real…red stem with white hat a warning sign that cannot be mistaken. By the way the most delicious of all fungi is Amanita… of course the blusher: rubescens.

4 Likes

I collected mushrooms with my father in the woods (we were squirrel shooting) as a child. He knew his mushrooms very well and he studied them. I wish I could remember all he taught me. The one thing he
Said that really stuck with me was, if you are not 100% Sure the mushroom is not safe, don’t eat it.

Harbin it is great that you know your mushrooms, caution is preventative. Thats all.

Oh, and the Porcini growing in the States definitely do not taste like our Porcini/ Ceps here in Europe. The finest Porcini are from Bassano del Grappa, Italy.

1 Like

I can simplify those down to one: Pick what you know, don’t pick what you don’t know.

My bread and butter here are Kings, Alaskan scaber, aspen scaber, and the orange
ones that allegedly are the same as the aspens but not really. I can identify them from seeing them across the field.

Bonus: no bolete is known to be lethal, but a bad one can still put you in a world of pain.

You don’t need to be an expert and know hundreds of varieties, you just need to be an expert on the very few you target. Everything else you just ignore.

5 Likes

I think I found my first Giant Puffball mushroom.
Its huge 1623grams. Its bigger then a dinner plate and there is no sign of a cap. The only thing that worries me is it is starting to turn yellow inside. Is it too late to eat it?

3 Likes

Congratulations!

Yeah…too late on that one.
Be on the lookout for more; you want them to be pure white inside.

3 Likes

Nice find! Like @Lucky_P says, you’re just a smidge late. I can’t tell you how many times I thought I had one that was just right, only to find it’s a little “overdone” inside. Even the slightest bit of color and it’s no good!

1 Like

Well i ate some already it has an intersting but not really off flavor. basicly what I put on it. Im sure it doesn’t turn toxic otherwise there would be warning about that. I am going to try cooking the rest of it and i will pick one of the other two I saw at maybe 6 inches. I want the third to fully mature so I can spread spores in my yard.

3 Likes

Found some maitake/hen of the woods today.
They’re one of my favorite wild mushrooms. There we’re also several other smaller ones in the area so I will definetly be going back out over the next week or so.

6 Likes

Nice! I should go check my local trees.

Don,
I venture to think the expert will ID this variety as a chanterelle
In my handbook the only false one I found that closely resembles the yellow chanterelle is Gomphus floccosus.
This website describes it
https://www.mushroomexpert.com/turbinellus_floccosus.html
Your pictures closely resemble my guides description of the Golden chanterelle, but if you say they are not prevalent in your local, it’s a good idea to get a local expert opinion before diving in to consume. I know that often here we can find the yellow chanterelles one year and then the following year we find the white ones instead.
I do not see the scales on the topside of your pic that Gomphus would have, and it’s vase is not thick enough for Gomphus, so I would probably eat this one if I found it in my normal locations here.
Nevertheless, I have experts that I hunt with, so do get the expert ID before consuming. You may just be very lucky that a new variety is showing up.
Dennis
Kent, wa