Anyone finding mushrooms?

Found a bunch of hens today. Made them into Maitake bacon. Tastes very much like real bacon.

And chicken fat mushrooms. I have never eaten these. I hear they are not highly sought.

9 Likes

Honeys and Maitakes. The lone shiitake was from a log I inoculated a while ago.

7 Likes

Possibly Leucoagaricus americanus, but that’s just a guess. There are several similar looking species

2 Likes

I found some Lions Mane today at work.

16 Likes

These are from the yard. They were growing all over one side of the yard when I moved in and the neighbors were going crazy for them. Eventually I tried it, too. They are pretty good when made the same way the neighbors do it. These are coming up on the opposite side of the yard now. I gave about 1/3 of what I picked today to that neighbor’s widow, so this is about 2/3 of what I picked today. There’s more than what I picked still outside. I just ran out of time and had to come in for “work”. If past years are any indication I have a few weeks of mushroom overload to look forward to.

The way the neighbor taught me to prepare these is to clean them, boil them, drain them, then fry with olive oil, garlic, spicy peppers, and some tomatoes.

I believe these are honey mushrooms. They come up in areas where maple trees had recently died. Some are growing right on large logs that I never moved out of the yard.

7 Likes

Whats the name of them?

I’ve never identified them beyond “honey mushroom”. They do appear to be the same as a mushroom that comes up on a Google search for “honey mushroom”. My neighbors were eating this when I moved in. They grew up in Italy and didn’t know the name of this, but they’d been eating it for years.

Found my first Lion’s Mane yesterday afternoon, growing on a downed, rotten log.

3 Likes

Beautiful mushroom! Is it tasty?

This is the other one I was telling you about. It’s “ok” (to me). If another cluster grows out, I can give you some to try.

1 Like

Thanks. Home grow lions mane mushroom, Impressive!

1 Like

I actually left for vacation and didn’t want it to go to waste, so I cleaned it up, sliced it and put it in the freezer for a future meal. It was very similar in texture to chicken breast. I am planning on breading and frying it, as that seems to be the most common method for cooking I’ve seen online (unless someone here has a great recipe).

1 Like

It’s considered a delicacy in China

3 Likes

Friend of mine found this mushroom on the property. What kind of mushroom is it? Is it edible?

I’ve read it supposedly has medicinal uses and can fetch a pretty high price. It’s definitely not a common find.

1 Like

Is this mushroom edible?

4 Likes

Looks like some species of Calvatia—a puffball mushroom. Most of them are edible when young and white throughout; I have actually eaten them before, and recall that they were pretty good sauteed. I would defer to those more experienced in mycology, though. In other words, don’t listen to me; I’m just some guy who ate a mushroom, and didn’t die! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yes. Sliced and sauteed in butter or bacon grease.
But, the interior should be solid white… if you’re starting to see change of yellow, brown, purple… they’re past their prime and flavor will be off.

3 Likes

Although I have passed on eating those that I saw this year, I hear the the puffball is “the tofu of the mushroom world.” That is, not much flavor, but it does reasonably well at picking up the flavors of other ingredients. Many people use it as pizza crust. Some make French toast out of it (reviews on this are ok to disgusting).

2 Likes

Thanks all for replied. I sauteed it in butter and salt pepper. The texture is very tender, not like like button mushroom had bite resistance, it does resemble tofu. But the flavor still has the savory taste. I peel the half skin off ,leave the half skin on. I like the skin on if I eat it next time

10 Likes