Anyone grow luffa?

I planted some Luffa seed…plants are already vining eight feet, but not a single flower yet…is that typical?

I grew luffa for a few years in a row. Mine had flowers on it though. The vines went everywhere like yours are doing.

It is normal. Luffa is a climber. What some people do is prune the main head off to let it grow side branches

Some ~8’ vines on ones here and no bloom yet either. They usually develop late for us, barely beating the first frost.

Didn’t beat the first freeze. The plants did survive a couple light frosts, but it got to 29 last night (probably more like 26 down on the ground). Plants are zapped.

A bunch of immature fruits, nothing useable. I tried peeling the green ones, but they’re just spongy and moist.

I have grown luffas ,several different years , for the sponges.
They are a pain to clean.
Best I could do is put in a tub of water, and let the skin rot a little. Then blast with water and peel. still tedious .
Anyone have any tips to clean the sponges ?

Also . I grew the ridged luffa , last year . Eat when young,
Like a squash , but slimy like okra. Really good.!

It is very easy to clean . Wait until it is completely dry. You are not supposed to clean a wet one.

2 Likes

When it’s dry just beat it on something the skin and seeds will crack and fall off , very easy to clean

1 Like

I agree. Let them dry out and then it is a lot easier to get all the skin and seeds off. That is what I did. They last a long time.