Anyone here into loquat?

This is my first year harvesting loquats grown in my yard and I find it tricky to tell when they are ripe. The birds in my yard are having the same confusion so we both are eating pretty acidic fruits :slight_smile: Only Big Jim is fruiting for me and when well-thinned they can get to the size of an apricot. The well ripened one has an apricot/honey flavor but I got lucky with only one so far.

1 Like

I have a large tree at my home in Brandon, I have many starters from the seed of this plant not yet mature enough to give fruit. I need to check out the link you gave, Im hoping it will give some instructions for the tea preparation.

1 Like

In your case, it may be best to graft on named varieties.
The seedlings will take 5-10 years to bear fruit. Grafted will bear in 1-3 years.
Also grafted varieties will have more variety and possibly better quality.

1 Like

I have no experience with grafting but it is on my to learn list

2 Likes

Anyone know what’s munching on my loquat leaves? Doesn’t seem widespread (yet), just on one leaf of one seedling out of three, but I don’t recognize this kind of damage so just want to keep ahead of the potential problem:

1 Like

Loquats starting to get large here in Seattle area. Given that these varieties ripen in Davis only in mid June, it will likely be August before I see ripe fruit here.

8 Likes

Nice!What varieties?

1 Like

Argelino and Kanko.
Also have a couple other varieties swelling but they are behind (in shade)

2 Likes

Do you need more than one variety to get fruit?

Ok just googled never mind might try a couple but what time of year do they bloom?

1 Like

In my limited experience, loquats change color much earlier before fully ripening. The birds have a long window to rob your harvest. Looks like they go by color than brix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. I know. :frowning: That’s why my ETA is August for ripe fruit. I have to bag fruit around late June I expect.

1 Like

The year before the fruit ripens, the Autumn/winter time, it depends some on the variety and the climate that the plant is in.

1 Like

Do bees pollinate or?

1 Like

Yes. Bees pollinate. Just need a few warm winter days.

2 Likes

Really late white loquats from a street tree in my neighborhood. Likely a seedling. Nice size and the taste is very good, but the tree is a FB magnet. I guess thats any old loquat tree here but I do see more strikes on this one than any other.

9 Likes

Loquats starting to turn color. Look at the size of the Argelino.

10 Likes

Looking great!

I noticed a couple of my seedlings looking a little sad this afternoon, so I’m giving them all some water. Hopefully they won’t mind the upcoming heat as long as they stay hydrated, since it gets pretty hot in places where they flourish in the deep south.

3 Likes

Keep them watered well. They love the heat!

3 Likes

I have one peluche tree. Planted this year so it didn’t fruit yet… maby next season in the end of the year.

3 Likes

Thinking about planting a loquat tree since my kids like eating them. Fire blight pressure in my area is high, so I’m a bit leery. I can’t find much if any info on fire blight resistant varieties of loquat. So little info compared to apples or pears.

1 Like