Anyone here into loquat?

I went to the Seattle Chinatown tree today and there doesn’t appear to be any bad effects from the +100F heat we had.No burnt leaves and the fruit looks good.
There is a lot,especially in the upper parts.I was able to knock a few down.They are still a little firm,except for one.In about a week or two,they should be primo.

4 Likes

The seedlings of that tree that I got from you @Bradybb also seem happy now (the burns on older leaves were from when I first planted them out, not this heat wave):

The two seedlings that were naturally grafted to each other are even more vigorously pushing new growth:

Their leaves are a little pale so it might be time to feed them soon.

3 Likes

REQUEST SEEDS OF LATE TYPE (or any)

I could plant the seeds of that late one in New Orleans (I live in ChicagoLAND)
Always looking for species of anything that are late to increase the harvest time!

1 Like

My trees are sad. And I lost most of the fruit.

2 Likes

I know how much effort you put into keeping those fruit through the late winter frosts, who could’ve imagined it would be HEAT that would get them instead?? Looks like you’ll at least get a few, though?

1 Like

Yes. I should have a few to taste.
You’re right never expected to lose to heat - of all things.

1 Like

That hurts to see. Sorry.

I’m kind of bummed about my black currant crop, but at least I can buy black currant jam.

3 Likes

Loquats are a marginal fruit for me, they work well in my successive ripening plan and fill in that early spring slot just after oranges and before blueberries & early peaches. Planting earlier or later varieties would be a waste of space because better fruits are to be had in those timeframes. I couldn’t imagine growing more than 2-3 trees to be honest. I could get by with just one ‘Big Jim’ to be even more honest. Lately loquats are most useful to me for making wine.

1 Like

They make an incredible jam as well, that is one of the things that made me desire to grow loquats the most. In 2019 I bought 3 different brands of loquat jam, two out of three were very good, it was obvious that the type of loquats used in the jam will determine the quality of the jam. It will take some experimenting to figure out which ones work the best for jam.

1 Like

Loquats ripening here finally.
Just had a couple of a variety called Argelino. I believe it has been described as a flavor bomb. I have to agree.

Tastes like a mix of lychee and apricot. Possibly sweeter than both with a tart finish.

In contention for the best fruit ever.

10 Likes

Three questions. Did you eat the skin? How long since you grafted it? Can I get a scion?

2 Likes

I dont eat the skin.
This was grafted 3 years ago. It is my oldest tree.

Will likely have scionwood later in the season. It took a terrible beating in the heat wave and I’m waiting for it to put on some growth.

3 Likes

Also quite the looker!

One more question: are you saving/planting any of its seeds? My seedlings of the International District tree (from @Bradybb) have been growing pretty rapidly this summer, but I would like to add one more of a different lineage at some point.

And then I’ll probably be begging for scions in another year or two to graft onto my seedings when I lose patience waiting for them to flower :joy:

1 Like

I’ve planted out half a dozen seeds so far. The genetics should be superior as they are Argelino X Kanko — two of the best varieties.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, ok you guys have convenced me on and got me hook on getting loquats.
Does any of you might have some seedlings and seeds available? I’ll be gladly willing to pay some and/or mailing cost.
Please PM me for details,
Thank you

1 Like

I can send some seeds now from the big Seattle,Chinatown tree or can grow them out a little and mail them that way.

2 Likes

Bradybb:
Ramv’s picture and description is a winner! I’d love to grow out some seeds from the Chinatown tree. I can pay for seeds and postage. Please PM me for details.
Thanks, Chris

2 Likes

I’m not sure when @Bradybb germinated these ones from last year, but just thought I’d show how much mine have grown since I got them from him in January, for anyone else considering growing seedlings of that tree.

January:

Now:

5 Likes

Hi @Bradybb, we can try both! If for some reason I can’t germinate the seeds I could have you as a back up if you don’t mind start some seedings.

I’ll PM you for the details, thanks!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks @swincher

1 Like