Anyone here into loquat?

Not sure how kosher it is to post to other forums but I just saw someone is selling some nice looking loquat scions on TFF:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=44679

1 Like

Loquat flavors might depend tremendously on location.
I was talking to one of the co-founders of CRFG in San Diego and he was raving about Big Jim. No doubt he has tasted more loquats than most of us put together. But when I tasted Big Jim in the bay area I found it basically average.

@Marta has mentioned that Kanko is barely sweet in the Vacaville area. Here it is the one of the most intensely sweet tasting fruit Iā€™ve eaten.

Many of them may also never even set fruit in some locations.

4 Likes

Seems like it should be fine to post other forums. This site isnā€™t for profit, and is clearly superior to all other forums - speaks for itself.

3 Likes

All four viable seeds from those fruit have sprouted. This is my first time germinating loquats so Iā€™m not sure if this is normal but they all put up a little brown snorkel and now they are sprouting from the side of it like this:

Cute little things. I also have 5 seeds from @ramv that were planted a couple weeks later, which havenā€™t popped yet but I assume will any day now.

4 Likes

I might be the complete opposite. I havenā€™t tasted many loquats yet but my Big Jim fruited this year and I thought it tasted great. Because I thinned the fruits, the size got huge and when protected from birds and left to ripen fully, it was delicious. Hoping the varieties you posted about (Argelino, Kando, etc) will fruit sooner and I can compare but the bar isnā€™t too low. Also, your Portal scion is growing well too, looking forward to it (thanks for the scions)

2 Likes

Likewise! I got 6 loquat seeds from @Bradybb 3 weeks ago and they all germinated.
Working on a covered mini-ghouse area outside area to grow as espalier. They fruit on tips
so will train as a fan. Such a long wait to fruit or graft, so, of course, had to order two plants from Willis Brothers,
Early Red and Vista White.IMG_0614
I know ā€˜never enoughā€™ is sick (in a bad way!).

2 Likes

Most of my trees have flower buds already! I know this is the normal time for California but this is quite unusual here.

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s great! Maybe bees will still be around when the flowers open. What varieties? In pots or in the ground? Bring them in for the winter?

1 Like

In ground and pots.
They all stay outside.

1 Like

Just went around and checked. The following trees/grafted branches have flower buds

Argelino, Kanko, Harvest, Sunset, Tori, Shambala, Avri, Novak, Dr.Moy, Massidda, Maybe a few more will bud out by seasonā€™s end.

4 Likes

Wait a minuteā€¦ Flower buds now? When would they ripen?

1 Like

Roughly July -Aug 2022

1 Like

Interesting. I didnā€™t realize how fast flowering occurred after that yearā€™s harvest.

From a produce perspective, is it hard to buy loquat in Washington when it is in season? I presume most of it is west coast produce or imported.

1 Like

The flowers supposedly can be smelled for quite a distance. Great to capture pollinatorsā€™ attention!
@ramv, do you notice strong scent??

2 Likes

Itā€™s hard to find them. Occasionally they show up in Chinese stores but arenā€™t very good at all.

1 Like

Very fragrant. All through winter they perfume the whole yard.

3 Likes

Yum! Keep us posted with growth and development. Iā€™m hooked!

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to see some pictures of the flower buds, if its convenient.

2 Likes

Will post some pictures when I get a chance.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a photo of Novak starting to bud out.

4 Likes