Anyone here into loquat?

I’ll have to look at my neighbor’s tree to see if it is flowering yet.

My seedling is finally big enough to graft onto this winter. I’ll have to try to find an interesting variety.

1 Like

Would you comment on which has the biggest fruits, best flavor, etc.

1 Like

So far Argelino and Kanko have been impressive here. But lots of other great varieties I am expecting to do well in coming years.

2 Likes

Hi everybody. Im planting this tree, Peluche variety in central of Europe, Slovakia. Growing pretty good, but I have one problem…flowering is too early. In winter we have couple of time below -10 `C, so flowers dont have a chance to stay not frozen. The question is whether it is possible to delay flowering to February, March…? Im sending pics, how look flowers right now.

2 Likes

Me too. I’m growing peluche and it’s flowering for the first time… :grin:

1 Like

So good luck :slight_smile: This my flowers will be after winter and after -10’C (below 14F) on dust.

2 Likes

My peluche loquat on flower for the first time

2 Likes

Great. In Portugal, where you live, dont have a problem with frost, so you will enjoy this great sweet fruit. I will need heater :slight_smile: for wood and leafs no, thats ok, but flowers will problem…

1 Like

I just hope i like this variety… it’s very hyped…

1 Like

I thing yes :slight_smile: This variety have big fruit and is sweet. Thats what we need. I saw your garden on pictures, very very nice. But didnt see some grapes-vine. You dont have?

2 Likes

Thank’s! I have grape vines… i have pics of them there…

1 Like

It is nice your loquat has flower buds already. Mine grow in pots for many years and have not seen any flower yet. Maybe add a tent put a heater inside to keep flowerbuds alive during few extremely cold days

2 Likes

These seedlings are coming along nicely. I’m only planning on planting one of them, so if anyone else around Seattle wants a loquat seedling or two from the International District tree, let me know! They’ll be in my greenhouse all winter and then I’ll probably drop them at the little free plant library in the spring if no one wants them on here.

4 Likes

I’d take you up if I were 100 miles closer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi IL847. Problem is, that we have in winter a lof of cold days. Of courne, not like in your area, but still…flowers dont like temperatures below -4’C (24,8’F). Where you have that pot in winter? Maybe thats the problem, why you dont have flowers…they need rest somewhere, where is colder, but not frost.

2 Likes

All three of my loquat seedlings did fine in the December freeze unprotected (6 nights below freezing with coldest lows of 15°F and 18°F), here are some photos now that it’s been long enough that damage should be clear. Some of the immature leaves show slight browning, but the buds seem otherwise fine:

5 Likes

Those look great. I don’t recall, did you tell us you grew them from seed?

1 Like

IMG_0761
Mine too …although a little ragged!
Started from International District seed (thanks to @Bradybb) in August.
Low of 7F with burlap and bubble wrap for protection - protection bumped up temp to 15F.
Getting some quince rootstock and intend to graft onto quince with these as scions plus a few others from Akme Nursery.
I tried some greenhouse loquat grafting this winter on potted trees.

IMG_0764
I covered the graft site with a small piece of hardware cloth around which I coiled reptile heat cable and then a covering of foam. That kept temp about 75F at graft site. 4 out of 4 took - makes me think loquat grafting super easy.

3 Likes

These were seedlings I got from @Bradybb, from the International District tree. Which I just visited – looks pretty good:

It’s an attractive tree for sure:

7 Likes

Wow! Are those fruitlets and not flower buds? So when do you think the tree flowered?
I’ve seen some Anna’s hummingbirds around, maybe they are the pollenizer?

2 Likes