Anyone here speak french?

i turned on the closed caption app but it was limited to french, so wasn’t much help, lol.
was curious if he said anything about contorted jujubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExlPjrOfQBo

@mrsg47 is fluent.

2 Likes

mine is broken at best. my wife is fluent. ill ask her to watch this tonight for you. not sure what the words for contorted jujubes would translate to in french. dont know if she would know either.

1 Like

Rien ! Nothing about contorted jujubes. Speaking about how easy they are to grow, and why they do well in certain regions. They love sun, and should be planted at least 2’ deep. Teaching the basics about jujubes to a ‘market’ audience. Nothing technical.

6 Likes

your family from up my way? canada perhaps?

1 Like

Nope. Ohio and NYC. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @mrsg47 and @moose71, really appreciate it! I owe you both lunch :slightly_smiling_face:

i can’t even say my french is broken, since there’s not much to break, haha
the closed caption app did help some as a handful of words were tangentially english or spanish , but couldn’t get enough meat out of.

The Gist is to tell people about Jujubes. Is you notice there is a tent behind him. His explanation is about propagation and what a lovely fruit; Right down to soil, planting instructions and the importantance of direct sunlight. Its an introduction to the fruit.

3 Likes

Thanks so much @mrsg47 Have to say that among the romance languages, french, to me, is the most exotic. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think Romanian might be of similar contrariness.

1 Like

Italian is beautiful too!

1 Like

you’re right am sure. Couldn’t comment on romanian due to the rarity in media/news headlines, apart from Nadia Comaneci. I haven’t even met a Romanian in my old age.

animated and engaging aren’t they?

1 Like

Always. If you know what they are saying!:relaxed:

1 Like

in this area its 90% acadian french. french is the spoken language in the st. john valley like spanish is spoken on the southern border states. in my parents generation there are some that have a hard time speaking english. both my parents spoke french fluently. they never spoke it to me because when we were living in CT. it was frowned up to speak it because the other nationalities would single you out. my younger brothers speak it better than i can.

that’s unfortunate, at least for some folks. Am sure you don’t need it, but some who are trying to land a job, being able to speak another language is a huge advantage over the next applicant.

on a funny note, the scottish are true english speakers, but for some reason they make me question my english-speaking ability when i converse with them

So too bad. The only difference in many circumstances is the accent .

I took French one year in 9th grade, then in my junior and senior years I took Latin. As the years have passed, I have retained more French, than Latin. I know French comes from Latin, but frankly I can’t hardly remember any of the latter.

I tried to pick it up again before i went to France about 15 years ago, but when you go from learning from a book or tapes (or CD’s), it goes out the window when you’re talking to a real person. I tried to speak some, but it usually ended up with me saying, “pardonnez-moi, mais parlez-vous anglais?” Thankfully they usually did, especially in the bigger cities, but out in the country not as much. Same thing in Germany, Austria and Switzerland regarding German. Much easier for me is to read it, than speak it.

Foreign languages have been a big interest of mine for a long time, and I have picked up many books and other materials over the years. My foreign language library includes material in this order of prevalence: German, Spanish, French, and Italian, and even one in Greek, Dutch, Hebrew and Vietnamese.

Hardly fluent in none of them, but if I had to pick one I’m most comfortable with then i guess it’d be German. My maternal grandmother was 100% German, and spoke it pretty well, but spoke English just about all the time. I wish I could have spoken it with her when I had the chance.

My paternal great-grandfather was full-on American Indian, and taught me how to count in some language (it was either Cherokee or Chickasaw), but i don’t really remember much of it now as that was almost 40 years ago.

Sorry Juju, for running your thread train way off the tracks…

2 Likes

no worries, am not really big about ‘thread ownership’. As for native american languages, that came extremely handy during ww2 as it was impossible to hack/decipher

1 Like

Yes, I think it was Navajo. There was a movie called “Windtalkers”, that was about this. I’ve heard it’s pretty good, even though I’ve never seen it.

Native American languages, wow, so many different types of them. Sadly, a lot of them are dying out, or already gone. Back home in OK, I think there is some kind of movement to help preserve them somehow. I guess by my calculations, I am at least 3/8 Native American, probably Cherokee, but can speak nary a word of it. Kinda sad, actually.

2 Likes