Anyone here using urine?

My comment wasn’t a diss on Christianity, just a ribbing on a literal interpretation of Blueberry’s comment because human or not it would take more than his time here on Earth to filter through enough of the atmosphere to make that claim and given it has only been 2000 years since his last breath, not enough time has passed for the gasses he exhaled to be evenly distributed throughout the entire atmosphere.

ditto jeremy

But I did mean to say hell of a set. My creator has a sense of humor…obviously. We all have our own opinions- whether in growing fruit trees or religion. I come to this forum for the former- so back to piss please.

Alan So you are religious, But you believe in the separation of church and collecting urine. I’ll go with that. I have found that Urine works better on citrus tree growing on Seville sour root stock than those on C35 rootstock because Seville sour can tolerate more salt as well as grow good in higher Ph soils.

2 Likes

Enough on the religion debate please, back to the topic at hand. This thread may not be able to stay open much longer.

5 Likes

In the humid region salt isn’t much an issue- my area averages about 50" precip per year. That’s one reason many prefer CA (almost endless sunny days) but I personally prefer winter to drought. The worst thing is sodic soils, which are fairly common in the west, where I’d not use urine.

I could live with drought as fruit ripens though- I envy western brix.

So-- has anyone actually done an analysis to check the amount of degredation of nitrogen in long term storage of urine…for urine that’s to be used as fertilizer---- at the correct application date?
(And isn’t it of little value applied to dormant plants?)

One of the reasons to add ashes to urine is to decrease the N volatilization to ammonia gas. However, in cold climates simply storing urine outside is probably pretty good at slowing the process. I too would like to find a researched source on more specific info about this.

1 Like

Makes sense.

Has any university ever done this type research?

I just did a quick search- that’s how I came up with my answer. A longer one can probably bring up more.

I just realized that the reason my plants that I feed my urine to are so happy must be caused by my antidepressant discharge.

8 Likes

Keep in mind that the dinosaurs were around for about 200 million years. Any water you drink as once dinosaur pee.
One alcoholic I knew told me that he never drank water, " 'cause fish poop in it."

Sewage treatment plants in Minneapolis treat the sewage and release the effluent back into the mighty Mississippi. Every city downstream does the same. By the time it gets to New Orleans it’s been through a lot of urinary tracts.

That’s kind of beautiful, though, if you think about it. We are all part of the circle of life, borrowing and returning nutrients from the closed loop of our planet. Life is always on loan, and it’s up to us to make the best of it.

2 Likes

I use a pressure cooker- Kuhns allow the highest pressure. It only takes an hour for poultry bones to crumble with this method. I make very rich bone broth using one.

2 Likes

I got to this thread by looking for “urine”, because I wanted to know others’ experience using the urine of predators, like fox urine, to repel chipmunks, rabbits, deer, and the like.

I don’t want to kill animals, and I don’t mind sharing some of my bounty… but I just don’t want them eating my trees, fruit, and every dang bulb I plant.

Anyone used fox (etc) urine to encourage pests to relocate?

2 Likes

I tried coyote with squirrels and they seemed not to mind the scent at all. Deer are more likely to be repelled by smells, I think. For them I use eggs and plant skyyd.

2 Likes

I am highly skeptical of claims for “Coyote Urine”. To me, the advertising for it seems no different than “snake oil” claims. I know of nothing other than DNA testing that would confirm it as being the “real deal”. The advertising for it does not pass the “sniff test” and even if the product has an odor it could not be confirmed to be anything other than dog pee, if even that.

If it repels deer, all well and good. Deer recognize coyotes as predators, squirrels, not so much. Scent detection was critical to the survival of early mammals that survived by living underground and venturing out at night. Mammals have more than 1000 genes for scent detection. However, when primates evolved and took to the trees, eyesight and depth perception were more important than scent and primates retain only about 400 active (OR) genes, the others have been switched off. I suspect that the same is true for arboreal squirrels. They are more visually oriented than ground dwellers. I would try snake dummies that get moved daily.

IMHO, Fishers and Pine Martins are the only effective squirrel predators. They are pretty scarce in areas inhabited by humans, squirrels are not.

4 Likes

I’m embarrassed to admit that I (ahem) feed the squirrels. They’re so dang cute! And they have so many oak acorns, which I find them having stashed everywhere. It’s the chipmunks and rabbits I’m most worried about.

1 Like

What’s plant skyyd? How do you use eggs, like rotten eggs?

Eggs repel deer when fresh and perhaps more when putrid. I whip up a dozen eggs at time and mix with about about half label dose of Plant Skydd (look it up- very expensive pig blood processed to mix with water and pass through a sprayer). Just the eggs at one per gallon of water is about as affective as any commercial repellent- one of the best is made from eggs (inedible egg solids). Deer Away.

I defend my unfenced nursery from my deer herds with it, but I have to spray every couple of weeks when trees are in active growth.

3 Likes

I had no idea deer hate eggs.

1 Like

Those predators are making a large comeback in PA, but you still don’t see them often as they are active at night.

1 Like