Anyone here using urine?

I’m sorry for your pain… and thankful you shared about your salsa jug urinals. I chuckled at that.

I suggested to my husband that he and my son could “water the yard,” and he looked at me like I was nuts. (Suburban front yard and all) When I suggested a container in the bathroom, he reminded me of how often our kiddo already misses the mark (with a much bigger target), AND how often he knocks over glasses full of liquids. Points taken.

Be careful with granulated sewage sludge, especially in the midwest, wisconsin, michigan, as its usually PFOS, PFOA laden.

Milorganite can be put in bags made our of nylon stockings and hung from plants to discourage deer. What works very well is to mix dried blood with water and have it in plastic containers with lids, but big holes in the containers between the disgusting contents and the top of the container. The holes need be placed before the bottle tapers. Small plastic bottles can be used and hung from trees if you tape over the tops. In the humid region the bottles can fill up quickly from rain if tops aren’t closed. The concoction soon becomes disgusting and if you accidentally spill some on yourself it is unpleasant- but it’s at least as unpleasant for the deer.

Here is a study on Milorganite vs Deer in a Soybean planting.

https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=C889-2&title=Using%20Milorganite%20to%20Temporarily%20Repel%20White-Tailed%20Deer%20from%20Food%20Plots

If you want to read more do a search on Deer and Food Plots and Hunting.

Some hunters plant food plots for their deer… so they are in the same boat as us with gardens and orchards. They need to repel the deer until their plants establish.

Yeah, but does it keep DEER out?

I had a really vicious dog next door so I pissed in my sprayer. and sprayed his yard boarder with my personal boundary marking fluids. That was one angry dog.

4 Likes

Good catch. Yes it does keep the DEER out not the dear.

My garden is on top of my roof. There is no ground level garedning area due to trees and no light.

2 Likes

Nice arrangement.
I think opportunities to do gardens on the roof are limited in America, but it’s been a fairly common practice other places
since at least Babylon in ancient times.

2 Likes

Lol. Any janitor can tell you that men have notoriously poor aim. One of them solved the problem by painting a fly on the back of the urinals. I can imagine users going “Ha! Got that sucker!”

2 Likes

A gallon of liquid weighs 8 pounds. Seems a bit cumbersome to lug around. :wink:

Then use a quart or half gallon. Extra egg shouldn’t clog your sprayer if you put it through a blender with some water. I actually probably use at least 2 eggs per gallon.

Most of the work I do for a living requires primitive tools, so even though I’m 70, I am used to lugging quite a bit of weight around. I do it almost every day. I don’t own a backhoe, for one thing. Nevertheless, my body has long since begun to loose torque and load capacity.

2 Likes

Yeah, but they don’t usually attack them in trees. In winter with snow on the ground they can tunnel through snow and attack from below.

A gallon of honey is 12 pounds…is it not a liquid?

1 Like

I don’t know if all Fisher have the same strategies. I’ve seen where Porkys have fallen out of trees, and I always wonder if they had help. No snow at that time to tell the whole story.

1 Like

I’m more than skeptical of the whole ‘coyote urine’ or ‘cougar urine’ deer repellent deal.
It’s modern-day PT Barnum stuff, IMO. A fool and his money are soon parted.

I was watching a dozen or so deer out grazing in the rye/wheat field below the house this morning. 4 coyotes came through, searching for mice/voles in the grass along the fenceline. The deer paid them no attention. I see no reason that deer would give any more thought to danger of coyote/wolf urine to that of the family dog… which pees all around the yard, yet they still come in to eat acorns, nip the buds out of native azaleas, rub mulberries, etc.
Same deal for ‘cougar urine’. The big cats mostly been gone from this part of the country for over a century… I seriously doubt that there is some innate fear of cat urine coded in deer DNA. There are enough stray cats (and our own indoor/outdoor cat) roaming around within a quarter mile of the farmstead here that I should never see a deer within rifle range. I seriously doubt that deer could distinguish - or care about - the difference in cougar urine or that of a feral cat.
Heck, I don’t think they even pay attention to MY urine marking!

Human urine… I have no issue with - and I frequently ‘water’ trees in my yard.
Human fecal material, however historical in its use as a fertilizer, has typically also been associated with a higher infant mortality rate in countries where its use has continued.
Rotavirus/coronavirus, hepatitis viruses, Cyclospora, Salmonella, enteropathogenic E.coli, etc., abound in human populations. And, with the influx of peoples from countries lacking the public health and sewage/water treatment infrastructure we’ve been accustomed to… parasites and pathogens that had long been ‘eradicated’ from this country are ‘making a comeback’.

Same for ‘carnivore’ feces… specifically dog & cat… parasites, such as Toxocara(roundworm) and Toxoplasma pose very real health threats to humans if food/water sources are contaminated, and I’m not even convinced that most home ‘composting’ systems would effectively inactivate Toxocara eggs or Toxoplasma oocysts.

2 Likes

Raccoon feces is also dangerous, at least in some parts of the country, which has implications when harvesting drops for cider or eating out of hand. I have sites where the coons seem to frequently picnic on the branches of huge old apple trees. When I’m winter pruning their feces is so thick on some upper branches it is almost as if they were using the tree as a latrine. I am careful about eating lunch after working on such trees- I keep a hand sanitizer in my truck because I don’t usually have access to running water during winter pruning. .

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/disease.html

1 Like

Raccoon round worm is 50% fatal when humans ingest their eggs.

2 Likes

Probably one of the most common sources of infection for humans - usually toddlers - is material dropping off of contaminated wood brought into the home for burning in fireplace/stove.
I know the raccoons love to ‘latrine’ on top of my woodpile out in the barn. Load of firewood I took to my son recently… I had to pitch aside a number of pieces that were noticeably, grossly contaminated with raccoon feces… no guarantee that there aren’t eggs elsewhere ‘downhill’ from the top pieces, but I wasn’t about to send him noticeably fecal-stained firewood… we’ll burn that in our insert first go-'round next fall.

I’ve seen Baylisascaris infection in rabbits, from raccons ‘latrining’ on top of the rabbit cage, and eggs contaminating food/water. It’s bad news… roundworm larvae migrating extensively through brain and spinal cord.

5 Likes

I am the the neighborhood coon exterminator. They don’t mix well with fruit trees. I could protect my orchard from them easier and more kindly than trap and kill, but my nursery is unfenced and they are like little bears and break branches to harvest the fruit of small trees. One year when I protected my orchard only and left my nursery to them, not only did they do this, but my property smelled like a stockyard. The weirdest thing was that the ratio of male to female adults was something like 3-1 females, as if the males had small harems. Supposedly, a single family should have occupied the property and driven off outsiders, but I had a coon commune.

1 Like

For those of you trying to “fertilize” your front yard with high nitrogen pee, just do some version of what I do. Hang a gatorade bottle on a nail, just on the back side of the fence. Pee in it in the back yard. Then walk out to the front. No one is going to call the police because you are fertilizing your garden.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes