Anyone tried the peaches "du Vigne" and/or "Teton de Venus"?

Hi,

Wondering if anybody could comment on the flavor and disease resistance of the old peaches “du Vigne” and “Teton de Venus”. Perhaps also Lola nectarine. I have quite a few peaches already but wondering if these are something special.

Thanks!

1 Like

Pêche de Vigne is a family of peach with red flesh. Another name used is Sanguine or Sanguinole, sometimes that latter term is used for the darker-fleshed peaches in the Pêche de Vigne family. In the US today I think all we have available are a few Sanguine varieties as well as the Indian Cling/Free and Black Boy. And some modern hybrids of these peaches.

I don’t think Teton de Venus is available anywhere in the US today. Hedrick says it is an excellent tasting variety. This one sounds special, I would like to grow it if it ever surfaced. Here is a place in France selling it and also giving a picture and description: Pêchers – La Pépinière du Bosc

I grew Lola nectarine, it has a pleasant citrus flavor. But it rotted and split badly so I removed it.

3 Likes

I wonder if Mrs. G, or anyone who speaks French, would favor us with translations … I’d take a try but I’d do poorly.

And remember, don’t shoot the messenger.

;-)M

2 Likes

Translation from French:

TÉTON DE VÉNUS (Nipple of Venus)
A very old variety of white peach cultivated since 1667 in France, it owes its name to the pointed shape of its fruit. Large yellow fruit streaked with pink in the sun, very fragrant and juicy. Late flowering allowing it to be cultivated in the north of the Loire valley in sheltered situation. Maturity end of August to end of September.

Here are English descriptions:

Hogg (1884):

TETON DE VÉNUS.—Fruit, elongated, larger than the Boudin, but much paler, having but little colour next the sun, and pale yellowish white in the shade, surmounted by a large turgid nipple. Flesh, white, red at the stone, delicate, sugary, and very rich. Flowers, small. Leaves, with round glands. Ripens in the end of September. This is quite distinct from Late Admirable, with which it is some times made synonymous.

Hedrick (1917):

Teton de Venus.
From all accounts this variety was known long before Merlet mentioned it in 1667 but its exact origin cannot be learned. According to Leroy it seems at one time to have been called Pêche du Chevalier but this name was permanently replaced by the present one about 1789 — applied because of the unique shape of the fruit. Tree of moderate vigor and productiveness; leaves crenate, with globose glands; flowers small, pale red; fruit large, roundish, inclinging to oblong, with a deep suture on one side; apex terminated by a broad, prominent, obtuse nipple; skin pale greenish-yellow, marbled with deep red in the sun; flesh greenish-white, faintly tinged with red at the pit, juicy, melting, sweet, having an excellent flavor; stone large, oval, free; season the last of September.

4 Likes

How lucky for you that Arboreum is selling both of this cultivars this year, so you get to try the one you wanted! For $75… Hence why I was inquiring about the “de Vigne.” I’m assuming it’s a mildew magnet if it used to be grown at the end of grape rows to know when mildew surfaces in the area. But still, I am curious to try it.

1 Like

Scott any experience or opinion on Strawberry Cling?

1 Like

Cool! I didn’t notice that yet so thanks for the heads-up. They really know how to jack up prices on the new varieties. Still, I have to try them. The Pêche de Vigne type is not available in the US at all, only the more red-fleshed ones. My impression is the “Pêche de Vigne” they are selling is the original variety and there are many other Pêche de Vigne-type peaches. Its kind of like how Fuyu persimmon is both a variety and a type. I don’t think there will be any mildew problems, mildew is uncommon on peaches. I wonder where Todd gets these varieties, there is a quarantine on any peach imports from France now due to plum pox.

They also have Sanguine Tardive for $50. I think its an excellent peach as well and its good to see someone finally selling it even if for a somewhat inflated price.

I never tried Strawberry Cling.

1 Like

I already grafted a Sanguine Tardive from you this spring :slight_smile: I am assuming you and Arboreum have the same variety? They say that peach is very late, I believe in another post you said it wasn’t late but main season.

I am wondering if I already have Tardive, would “de Vigne” be any different and worth dropping $75… ?

Actually in thinking about it I’m not sure at all. Since it looks like they imported these peaches from France they could have gotten the Sanguine Tardive from France as well, that French variety is known to be September harvest and I am pretty sure is not the Sanguine Tardeva in the ARS collection that I am growing. So either they matched the ARS peach with the French description or they also got the peach from France.

All of the Sanguine peaches I have tried taste fairly similar, they have significant cranberry overtones. I like to have several of them to spread them out across the season.

1 Like

Is Todd from Arboreum the same as Todd Kennedy? If so, the Sanguine Tardeva at the ARS was donated by a Todd Kennedy. ?? Trying to decide whether it’s worth trying this one if I already have yours.

Right. You can just email him to find out if its the same peach.

I went ahead and placed an order for the “Teton de Venus”, partly because two of my best peach trees (Delicious, Burbank July Elberta) didn’t get thinned while I was away, and pretty much split themselves down the middle (and in some cases along branches as well) from the weight. I’d be very lucky if both survive - lesson learned.

In Zone 5b, I’ve rarely come across a peach that wasn’t okay for our farm… given the late-blooming nature, would it be okay to assume it’s hardy for us in the Hudson Valley of NY?

1 Like

I have a peche de vigne and a black boy peach. They are strong bloomers but both take a few years to hang on to their fruit . Peche de vigne is ripe now to mid sept. Tardive is a graft and ripens later. My black boy is still hard as a rock.

I have never eaten la Teton de Venus (except as a chocolate!). The peaches look intriguing. My tries with white peaches were a disaster until I was told about and bought Indar due to brown rot. Red fleshed peaches have a more fibrous ‘thicker’ flesh and are not as juicy as a white, or yellow, peach. In my experience only.

2 Likes

Excellent! Can you please compare de Vigne and Tardive for me? What are the differences and how is de Vigne overall? Size, color, taste, comparatively? Really considering this variety but I really can’t afford the space unless it’s really special. Not interested in Black Boy.

Probably learned from the fig sellers. Sheesh

2 Likes

Peche de Vigne is juicier than tardive. I taste raspberry v/s cranberry in mine . Tardive and black boy can both be bitter. Depends upon your weather. They are all smallish to medium in size. Red fleshed peaches make a great sorbet. They are some times pickled, definitely canned or turned into jam. Not known for their excellence in eating fresh, they are also stewed/compote. They are all related. Black Boy was originally from France’s neighbor Spain. They are very good for all of the above uses. Mine are all deep red to mahogany in color.

3 Likes

Is your season dry enough, hot enough and long enough to have them ripen? I am in 7a and they are pushed in my zone.

I really don’t know, I am new to growing peaches and most of my trees haven’t fruited yet. I am in upstate NY 6a. Our weather is so ridiculous these past couple of years I am willing to try anything lol

Make sure they will grow where you live. :blush:

Mrs G, you are a lot cooler even though you are zone 7 with your ocean climate. I expect if you can grow it then the season should be long enough for the average zone 5b or 6b location.

I didn’t realize you had Todd’s Peach de Vigne, I noticed you mentioning it but thought you were just referring to the generic class of peach.

1 Like