Anyone tried the peaches "du Vigne" and/or "Teton de Venus"?

The ARS collection shows two accessions of Teton de Venus: one obtained from France in 1980s and another from Todd Kennedy in 2015 (that one is likely the same as the one sold by the Arboreum):
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1447879
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1943318

1 Like

We have two trees here that were supposed to be Strawberry Free, that are probably Strawberry Cling.

They are not bad eating, mild and sweet, plenty juicy, and just a hint of tart at the pit. I’m planning on replacing them with freestone varieties with a more traditional peachy flavor featuring more acid for the shakes and canned peaches.

My bro in law’s tree, (same variety whatever it is) split in half this year, and one of ours opened a crack. If you grow it I’d pay close attention to how it’s branched.

1 Like

I did not get mine from Todd. But our Autumn is warmer and longer. They also seem to have little problem with brown rot in my micro climate as do other peaches. I do not know about other zones.

Answer, NO!

Bumping this up to see if there were any more recent comments on Teton de Venus. I ordered one from Arboreum on an impulse and was thinking I might not receive it, but it just showed up today, in pretty good shape considering the journey and that it’s leafed out.

2 Likes

Great, I have tasted both of them. The pêche de vigne is a cooking peach as are most red peaches. They are not as sweet as yellow or white fleshed peaches. Their taste is distinctive. I never found red peaches good for eating fresh. That said, they make a great sorbet, and jam.

The Teton de Venus is a very old peach here. My latest variety, Charles Ingouf is a sport. I shall see what it is about next year. Teton, is very sweet and juicy!

3 Likes

Great, thank you!

My Teton ripened last in my orchard, almost into fall time in upstate NY. It was always small and entirely green even when soft. Did I have the right variety? It ended up dying and I had no desire to replace it.

1 Like

No never green, always a red to pink blush on the skin.

Frustrating I paid $75 for a tree that was mislabeled then. Do you love the variety for me to try again or just mediocre?

Or the variety grafted died and the rootstock has taken over without you knowing it. That has happened quite a bit when planting peach trees in colder zones with fluctuating winter weather.

Is it an almond?

I’ve never grown an almond. Not sure what it would look like

It actually looks like an un-ripe green peach. But you crack open the pit and get ab almond. Peaches and almonds are related