Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Red Falstaff

8 Likes

We are pleased that this is one of the better years for our Mother harvest. Abundant on the tree, sweet with an extra full flavor that I can’t describe. Nicely fragrant as always. Our last batch of fresh cider had more quite juicy Mother apples than any other variety, and i think it has been our best so far.

2 Likes

A couple of my Calville Blanc dropped last week. Way too early.

Although seeds were dark but the apples were not ripe. I tried one . It was tart and had that unripe, chalky taste to it.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that so far they are still nicely crisp.

1 Like

Dropped today, Roxbury Russet. Fruit are under a tree canopy, hardly get any sunlight. That could be why they are not very russeted.

The one I ate the other day dropped and had insect damage. It was not flavorful, possibly because a lack of heat.

5 Likes

Finally, my first and only Redlove Calypso dropped. It was in a bag and may have dropped yesterday or the day before that judging from how its stem looks.

I want to rest it a couple more days in a fridge as I have heard it can be tart. Hopefully, it won’t be too tart.

4 Likes

Crimson Topaz: an early drop? Edible. Quite tart but I really like that in an apple. I think it could still use an extra week on the tree. Too me the background colour still looks more green than yellow.

5 Likes

My Topaz hasn’t flowered yet, but put on a tremendous amount of growth this year. I’ve never tasted it, but this is among the ones I’m most eager to try. The descriptions of it sound exactly like what I want in an apple.

2 Likes

With any luck this is a little glimpse into your future.

I’m a real fan of this apple.

11 Likes

The first Baker’s Delight. It was not fully ripen based on the colorof the seeds. This one tasted a lot better than the BD I had for the first time in 2019 (it has fruited biennially).

It had some crunch (but not at a Honey Crisp level), juicy and sweet (brix at 19). Both my husband and I like it a lot.

8 Likes

Pretty shape!

What do you mean? What apple is it?

1 Like

I think it’s a topaz, because I’m pretty sure @dw235 was replying to @MDL17576 post about their topaz not having flowered just yet.

1 Like

Yes that’s a Topaz tree as @schme16 surmised. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is this its first year fruiting, or have you already had a chance to taste them?

Third year for fruit but not like this! Tree is about 7 years old on M7. Fruit is tart. I’ve read that if you like Granny Smith then this a good apple for you – and I can’t argue with this.

As an Aussie I’m legally required to love GS apples, haha!

What’s their flavour like, or is it just overwhelmingly “tart”?

4 Likes

This is another ridiculous-named apple, Crunch A Bunch. If you like Gold Rush but it is too late for you, Crunch A Bunch is a great substitute. Gurney called it improved Gold Rush. I think call it early Gold Rush. It is very nice blend of tartness and sweetness with a lot of crunch.

Mine were not fully ripe yet but I picked some for a friend. Mine ripen 2-3 weeks ahead of Gold Rush. Where I am, Gold Rush does not consistently ripen in time.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t say there are any special flavours I could pinpoint. There is sweetness to balance the tart. It is a crisp apple which makes it a pleasant experience if you like crunchy. The blog Adam’s Apples has a good description: Topaz ** - Adam's Apples. He mentions ‘pleasant fizzy acidity’ - I think that’s what I like most. It also has good disease resistance which I also like as a backyard gardener.

1 Like

@Plum

From California to New York. Still one of the best tasting if not prettiest apples out there.

Works wonders on the taste buds.

One time I had a bunch in the fridge. I seeded them and threw them into the blender skin and all. One of the most refreshing thick drinks I have had.

Mike