Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

That actually sounds amazing, now to spend the rest of the day finding a stockist in Australia, haha

I’ve got a descendant variety called Harmony (Topaz x Ballerina Bolero), but it’s a golden apple (and columnar)

1 Like

How long have you had this tree? Did you pick the taller rootstock or the shorter rootstock version? I though of getting the shorter rootstock version. It does sound like a good apple to have in my orchard.

I planted Crunch A Bunch and Baker’s Delight in 2017. Both are on M27, super dwarf. Crunch flowered the next year but I pinched them off.

I let both set fruit in 2019. I think that stunted them a bit. They skipped producing last year but produce again this year. It looks like they will bear biennially for this rootstock.

Baker’s in 2019 was not any good. This year it is more flavorful but is on a sweet side. Crunch was good in 2019, too, in both taste and texture. It was very similar to Gold Rush.

@Johnthecook grows Crunch A Bunch, too, and is able to ripen them earlier than mine. He is in a bit of a warmer zone.

2 Likes

For me, Crunch is definitely earlier, and more crisp/less hard (I like hard btw). I’ve found that may prefer the taste of green/yellow Goldrush over yellow Crunchabunch. My daughter has developed a taste for Goldrush (even starchy) which is a good thing because of the 10 or 15 varieties out there, it has the least codling moth and apple maggot damage, and even though it way overset and I under-thinned, the fruit are mostly good quality.

I still prefer Golden Russet, which are sweetening up, but it has a lot more apple maggot damage than the Goldrush.

3 Likes

Can’t stand starchy feel of apples at all. I prefer sweeter apples so I prefers riper Gold Rush which is more balanced than tart.

My American Golden Russet is fine but is not my favorite. Mine is in a shade area. It may taste better if it got full sun.

Both our climate and taste definitely is quite different.

I don’t generally like starchy taste in fruit either, except maybe banana or sapote or something.

My Golden Russet get very high brix for an apple.

More red falstaff apples

10 Likes

I’m considering Granny Smith. One of your other post said you had it. Does it ripen in time for you?

1 Like

I can’t think of a single thing Granny Smith does that some other apple doesn’t do better.

We must have had some Australian apple company pay a huge sum to American media companies to promote the green, sour, disease-prone apple is all I can figure!

3 Likes

I think you got me mixed up with someone else. I never grow Granny Smith and don’t like this apple.

What do you like about Granny Smith. People here may be able to give you suggestions for better alternatives.

My fault thought you had it. Was looking at buying it and trying to find out if it has time to ripen here. I am selling fruit and people say it is popular.

Go for it, IF you’re willing to spray for rots. (Picking it green is what they do commercially anyhow…so lack of ripening time should not be an issue.)

I’ve never had a big crop on mine…but possibly that might have been a pollination issue before I got red fleshed apples, as G.S. blooms earlier than many. Or frosts might get some of the early crop too.

They only have a few trees left at the nursery. Summer Rambo, Chehalis, Arkansas Black, Granny Smith, Whitney Crab, and Rome. What would you go with?

I don’t know your ‘market’ (who are your potential customers).
(And what bases do you already have covered so far as ripening times are concerned?) I’m afraid I can’t really answer ‘what you should do’. (The crab you can scrap though if retail sales are your objective.)

Farmers market. I have about 30 apple trees now, but none of these.

And they only have a few varieties still for sale? Try another nursery.

Others have their prices near $100 now. These are 7 gal. nice size for $50.

1 Like

Good for you…farmers markets needs apple growers for sure.
Having some “early” apples so you have at least a few apples for sale over a 3 or 4 month period would seem sensible. But, with 30 kinds, you may already have that.

30 trees. Not varieties. Any on the list you can vouch for?