Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Red Falstaff apple

Orange Crisp apple

6 Likes

My One pound - 4 ounce ‘Chinese Apple’! Ha! :rofl:

8 Likes

Casa Nova de Alcobaça apple

It’s a rare and very old local variety of my area. They got almost extinct, substituted by modern varieties… Terrific mistake because they are big, beautiful, not much sweet but equilibrated, refreshing and between soft and crunchy texture. Very white flesh and some pink bellow the skin.

11 Likes

Interesting. Your apple, especially the interior, looks a lot like one that was sold to me years ago by Masonboro Orchards as an Early Joe (but clearly isn’t). I’ve wondered if it might be a Lowland/Livland Raspberry, but it seems a bit small for that.

2 Likes

This apple is very old here. The Claraval monks start to grow apples here in twelve century… many varieties got extinct and this one almost… It was the first time i eat or saw this variety… i got luck to get a tree last year and on first year she got 7 beautifull apples! :grin:

A maçã Casa Nova de Alcobaça – Lemos Figueiredo | Adega das Frutas de Alcobaça

4 Likes

Congratulations! It’s found a good home.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s not a sweet apple but very refreshing and juicy! :grin:

2 Likes

These three ripened about the same time.
Left to right: Red Bleinheim, Crunch A Bunch and Baker’s Delight

Taste and texture:
RB, soft, crumbly, mildly sweet, not my type
CaB : excellent, just like Gold Rush but better because it ripens in time for me
BD: never make it to baking, firm, sweet with some aroma. Like it a lot

9 Likes

Some apple pictures from the weekend – though, I’ve got my doubts about the Reien des Reinettes being correctly labeled.

10 Likes

Your Reine des Reinettes is right .

4 Likes

Good to hear, thanks! It was from a scion I grafted a few years back. I couldn’t really remember the details so had my doubts that I mixed something up.

2 Likes

I like Epi. It was nicer than I expected. It skipped this year.

3 Likes

I got one Cox Orange Pippin, my first. It colored up well. I picked it as our frosts are getting more severe. I have no clue when I should try eating it. The tree has done well and I’m not seeing severe disease pressure, it’s grafted to a wild seedling and I’ve left the original nurse branch because it happens to bloom at the same time, and the wild crab on it turned out to be pretty good.

12 Likes

Some of my Spitzenberg apples this season.

15 Likes

Reine des Reinettes is the pollinator for the Grise Reinette du Canada. Now half of the espalier is dead so I just ordered a new half of yellow deliious.

4 Likes

Crunch a Bunch! Is it really a lot like Goldrush?

2 Likes

Wow they are impressive! Please how you describe them? Thanks!

1 Like

Calypso redlove

16 Likes

@PomGranny
Yes, Crunch A Bunch is as good and, to me, better than Gold Rush because it ripens in time for zone 6a. It is under patent and relatively new release. Also, the name is very unattractive.

I would strongly recommend it over Gold Rush. Crunchy texture, balanced taste as you can taste the tartness amid the sweetness.

I wish more people knew about and grew Crunch A Bunch. It is a modern apple that should be on the top tier.

4 Likes

@mrsg47
Do you know why a branch died? Sorry to hear that.

@MikeC I just grafted spitz this year. Love to try this variety.

@Arhus76 Beautiful. My RL Calypso does not get a lot of sun so they are not as red as yours. They are too tart for me.

2 Likes