Apple Storage

Is it OK to stack apple bags two deep on top of each other? If yes then I can get maximum use of refrigerator space.

Don’t know if the weight could cause brusing for a hard apple like my Goldrush.

Am using the Tom Burford method of 2.5 gallon plastic bag with 3 or 4 ventilation thumb holes punched in bag.

3 Likes

I stored Goldrush apples last year in the large, probably 1.5 foot high cooler in the shed. It was almost full. No brusing . Just make sure you do not have to push second bag on top of the first one, that could cause brusing.

2 Likes

OK guess that’s my answer: can’t stack bags. Thanks.

You can put one bag on top of another, if you can move second one in in the air and carefully lay on top of the bottom one. But not push it when apples will be somewhat on the way. May be to put both bags in the cardboard box and then move in the box?

1 Like

So you are supposed to punch some holes in the bags? I was not sure if I needed to punch holes in the 2 gallon plastic storage bags I put my apples in. I know the bags of apples you get in the grocery stores have holes in them. I thought that was perhaps because they were put in the gas to help ripen then in storage.

I use the cloud. 50 gigs for just 9 dollars

3 Likes

I try to stack mine upright, with the top zip half open

Tom Burford believed the holes let ethylene gas escape that otherwise limits storage life. But the bag still retains a lot of humidity.

2 Likes

Try googling Apple Storage- all you get is computer stuff. A sign of the times.

1 Like

I tried the same thing many months ago. I got the same results, 1000’s of APPLE COMPUTER information links nothing on what I actually needed.

The only apples that I had in large about were Gold Rush. I kept them in plastic bags with no holes. I did not stack them up neatly, either. They are dense apples and do not bruise easily.

I think @marknmt is experienced re. storing apples in bags in a fridge.

2 Likes

@hambone
Ask the same question ,a different way …
Try “Postharvest storage of apples”

1 Like

I think stacking bags of apples in a fridge is fine , treat them gently.
Like eggs, always

2 Likes

I have a way that seems to work for me , i.e., tightly closed bags, stacked, and kept at about 30-32 F. But I wonder about the ethelene (?) gas build up in the bags. But I suspect there would still be build up in the fridge, unless it were opened frequently.

I do have to say that by late winter the quality of my apples ain’t what it could be. They will have lost crispiness and the won’t be very sharp. But they are still usable if not what they could be.

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with just regular plastic bags from grocery stores, walmart, lowes, etc… Not produce bags but just regular plastic bags they put all your purchases in, no holes in them. I believe most are made of HDPE(?)

From Wikipedia:
Polyethylene absorbs almost no water. The gas and water vapour permeability (only polar gases) is lower than for most plastics; oxygen, carbon dioxide and flavorings, on the other hand, can pass it easily.

Anyway, I put ~5 apples in a bag, tie it up tight, keep 'em in a spare fridge. Depending on how many we have, the bags might get stacked 2 or maybe 3 or more deep.

Ate the last one (Stayman) on May 11th this year, was as good as they day they were put into the fridge.

3 Likes

That thought crossed my mind too- the gas would remain in the fridge. Tom was quite emphatic about the holes.

1 Like

I need to build a bigger cold storage .
In the meantime I have a couple refrigerators / freezer ,full of fruit.
The over flow gets stacked outside ,on the shady side of the house .
covered with blankets when it gets frosty. Until I can deal with it.
Late season fruit , in a cool fall . Will usually keep until early ~ ? December this way here ,WV. But many years lately it’s been warm.
I cut the heavily waxed produce boxes, to fit in the refrigerator.
Fill those full of bags of fruit.
Bags of fruit ,inboxes,I find to be best.
Less bruises , Easyer to manage

5 Likes

Diving into the weeds a bit… Chemistry, not my specialty…

In the questions and answers section a rep for the company producing these packets say they contain diatomaceous earth, water, and potassium permanganate.

(55) 2 gram packets is 110 grams with 28.34 grams per ounce that’s about 3.8 ounces of product, with some percentage of it being potassium permanganate. 16 ounces of just potassium permanganate looks to cost about $25.

The stain warning notwithstanding, is there a DIY method anyone is aware of to extend the life of a lot of fruit in a fridge with this? Any danger with it? I noticed the mention of “flash powder” below…

Potassium Permanganate is an inorganic chemical compound with chemical formula, KMnO4. - Commonly known as Condy’s crystals or Permanganate of potash. Powerful oxidizing agent, does not generate any toxic byproducts. Hundreds of uses which includes- - Flash powder - Weathering Agent - Water Colorant ( Deep Purple ) - Fire Starter - Pyrotechnics - Extensively in water treatment industries. - Water treatment ( as a regeneration chemical to remove iron and hydrogen-sulfide (rotten egg smell) from well water via manganese green sand filter)and many more. Caution Potassium Permanganate easily stains skin, cloths, and any organic materials.