Apples for pies

Happy Thanksgiving, to my American friends. (And happy nice day in autumn to the rest of you.)

What apples do you favor for making pie? I like a tart apple with a rich flavor that holds its shape when i cook it. My favorite is Jonathan, but Thanksgiving is too late in the season for it, and it slumps too much in pie if i save it until now. So yesterday i used crimson crisp for the apple cranberry pie, and idared for the apple pie.

Sometimes i buy a few caville blanc in season and make s fancy tart with paper-thin slices. (Well, maybe my slices are 2mm thick. Which is to say, very thin.)

What do yā€™all like?

10 Likes

Claygate Pearmain has made the best apple pies in my home. Esopus Spitzenburg is also quite good, though it makes a sweeter pie than the other varieties Iā€™m including. Your previously mentioned Calville Blanc is great, although it produces a pie with a decided crunch, so if softer fruit is a must, CB may not be to everyoneā€™s liking. Tree ripened Granny Smith also makes an excellent pie. Clearly, I like my apple pieā€”and my apples in generalā€”on the zingy side.

8 Likes

I just tasted a rustic tart I made with Calville Blanc and the fruit held its shape nicely and wasnā€™t crunchy. Somewhat on the sharp side, but I had issues getting my apples to ripen this year. It might be because I prepared and froze the apples before thawing them and making the tart.

6 Likes

I bet freezing had some, maybe a large, effect on your cooked CB texture, especially if it didnā€™t sugar up this season as much as it normally does.

3 Likes

When Iā€™ve used caville blanc, they didnā€™t crunch. They did hold their shape beautiful.

4 Likes

Hmmm. Maybe the CB pie Iā€™m recalling was a little underbaked. We havenā€™t made many CB apple pies up to now, maybe even just the one I recall. The pie my wife baked yesterday for tonightā€™s Thanksgiving dinner has about a 60-40 split between Spitz and CB. It will be interesting to see if the apples are uniformly tender.

3 Likes

I stopped to pick up apples for pie and they didnā€™t have any of the usual baking apples available (NY had a late hard freeze that decimated apple crops this year). I wasnā€™t sure what to choose, ended up with Jonagold. I have no idea how this pie is going to turn outā€¦ My usual would be a mix of Cortland and Northern Spy.

2 Likes

ā€œSpies for piesā€ as the saying goes. Besides being my favorite for everything except training, Northern Spy makes an exceptionally good pie. I donā€™t add sugar or spices, just 1/4" slices layered into a 9" lard crust, with the last of 6 average size apples cubed small to fill in the gaps and mound the center. Cut a small x into the top crust center and cook @350f. for an hour.

That and good Sumatran coffee with milk is breakfast for me until the fresh apples run out. :yum:

9 Likes

I prefer a tarter apple, but jonagold is an excellent pie apple. (And i like more acid in my fruit and fruit pies than most people.) It has a nice rich flavor and doesnā€™t get too mushy.

Everything about Northern spy should be perfectā€¦ But itā€™s commonly used in commercial pies, and Iā€™ve had a lot of mediocre commercial pies, and as a result, i have learned to dislike the flavor of cooked northern spy apples. :cry: Yeah, Iā€™m a pastry snob. So even though northern spy is everything a pie apple ought to be, and i can buy it before Thanksgiving (when i always make apple pie) i never use it. I like it fresh, though.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be very surprised to find that true Northern Spy apples are used commercially/industrially anywhere in the USA since the late 1970ā€™s. Indeed, something like ā€˜Spigoldā€™ was developed specifically to replace real Spies, as their lack of profitability under modern systems has ruled them out of the running since at least then.

3 Likes

I think one of the stalwarts from the Home Orchard Society made great tasting apple pies with Baldwin.

3 Likes

Most of my apple pies are consumed for breakfast! As desert on Thanksgiving some sharp cheddar is a required accompaniment.

5 Likes

From those I knew whose Yankee roots went back into the 19th century- and whose families back to the 17th- apple pie IS a breakfast food! Adding a chunk of cheddar moves it up to the smaller part of ā€˜supperā€™ (ā€˜lunchā€™, as we call it now) with ā€˜dinnerā€™ at night, where theyā€™d eat their apples baked, as dessert. :slightly_smiling_face:

An awful lot of apples kept hunger away from those stony landsā€¦

5 Likes

Arkansas Black

3 Likes

Iā€™m old. I may not have eaten a commercially produced apple pie since 1980. :wink:

I bake a lot of pies, though.

2 Likes

My Sister was a professional chef, operating a commercial bakery with my Father, and won several awards nationally for her apple (and other) pies. She used Granny Smith, but in the modern way of pre-cooking the filling/ using lots of sugar and spices, etcā€¦

Times and tastes change.

2 Likes

I do two apple pies for Thanksgiving. One is just 3 pounds of sliced apple with half a cup of brown sugar, some cinnamon and butter. Oh, and maybe 2 tablespoons of corn starch. The other is a spiced apple cranberry pie with a little less than a pound of raw cranberries, a little more than 2 pounds of apple, cut into cranberry-sized cubes, 3/4 cup white sugar, and lots of cardamom, allspice, mace, and a hint of clove. And probably also corn starch.

Both are excellent for breakfast.

5 Likes

Where do you buy your calville blanc?

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen Calville Blanc in stores where I live (Reno, NV) or anywhere else, for that matter. I get them off of a very productive tree in my orchard.

2 Likes

Rhode Island Greenings from a neighbor. RIGs are perfectly fine/very good in pies, and this year those are the apples that we have the most of. Also my wife likes Marlboro Pie for Thanksgiving, and it has lots of lemon that negates much of the apple flavor, anyway.

5 Likes