Apricot flowers

I’m curious why just Apricot flowers? Trying to understand if it’s anything specific to Apricot blooms or do you like flowering plums/peaches/cherries as well? The reason is, there should be some double flowering stone fruits that also bloom later than Apricots, so more chance of producing fruits

3 Likes

Sorry, you have already mentioned prunus mume. I’d have read more carefully.

Like @californicus said, I am curious why just apricots? Some flowering peaches are so pretty.

1 Like

Hollywood Plum ( Hollywood Plum is off the chain! - YouTube ),Spice Zee Nectaplum and Atomic Red Nectarine ( What's blooming in my garden. Spice Zee nectaplum and Atomic Red nectarine. - YouTube ) first two are both pretty for red leaf reasons. Latter’s flower are hot pink…maybe “double”? I’m not really a flower guy, but they’re pretty striking.

I’ve heard Apricots in the PNW pretty reliably either get drenched during flowering or the flowers get frozen off, so a related species that’s slightly later blooming might better provide what you’re looking for.

1 Like

I think you’d have better luck with flowering crabapples, as apricot blossoms are very small and do not last very long. They are pretty though.

1 Like

Apricot

Mume

8 Likes

i do have a few flowering apricots mume but i was hoping more for apricot tree they have differnt flowers. i do have a few stone fruits and pears. peach they require copper fungicide in my area so i’m still conflicted in collecting them. apricots just a thought i think its fun to test it.

I have about 100 apricot varieties and flowers on all of them look pretty much the same to me.

3 Likes

maybe i should focus on other fruits trees that have pink or red flowers

How many prunus mume you have?

Do you have the rose and red flower varieties yet?

Red Baron peach gas double red flowers.

My favorite is weeping cherry blossom. We don’t get enough chill here, and my priorities are different for my yard. So, I didn’t look into the varieties that produce long and reliable blooms. There should be many varieties that work in your area.

Back before I had any clue as to what I was doing I ordered a few “Bush Apricots” from a website called Michigan bulb.

I have no idea what variety they really are, perhaps seedlings, maybe Manchurian apricots… but they did survive 38 below last year.

While mine have not produced flowers yet, other folks who purchased them have posted pictures:

apricot

2 Likes

These pictures are spectacular. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

I would love to know the apricot varieties you grow! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

All named ones are listed on my website: Apricot Heaven Orchard - List of varieties
Also, there are some unnamed (yet) seedlings: Apricot Heaven Orchard - Apricot breeding results

2 Likes

Stan this is great and thank you. It is one of my favorite fruits. I live in Apricot Alley, here in France so the varieties I get are excellent. i cannot wait to see what you have. Thank you.

1 Like

Stan, you have a great farm and orchard. I would love to see more pictures of your orchard in bloom and fruiting. Great work!

1 Like

I forgot to post earlier, mine is Bleinheim, I had this same variety in the Bay Area.
Here is a picture of my Red Atomic nectarine, I have 2 of this variety because the flowers are so pretty.

15 Likes

Beautiful.

1 Like

Thank You!

Ok, I need to correct myself. Redsweet apricot’s flowers are a bit pinkish, see here: