Apriums in Zone 8b?

if you’re really jazzed about apricots (and I agree that tree ripe apricots are amazing and I’ve largely stopped buying store ones) - you should be able to grow any apricot here under a rain cover. someday when I have a little more space that’ll be my play

1 Like

Fabulous point Michael. It can be done.

My Leah Cot and Summer Delight Aprium came today.2.22.23. Challenging planting testing in Seattle areas.

2 Likes

No rootstock labels on these trees?

1 Like

Their website says SD/LC are on Citation. Myro 29C is listed for Flavor Delight though, and recommends spraying lime-sulfur (which I was under the impression was a very bad idea), so who knows, I guess?

1 Like

Lime-sulfur should never be sprayed on apricots, it will kill them. All apriums that I have seen are indistinguishable from apricots, so I would not spray lime-sulfur on apriums either.

2 Likes

@Stan
From OGW. Information said root stock: Citation for both my trees.

2 Likes

Stan. Are you talking about dormant spray? I am ready to spray lime sulphur to all my trees including apricots before they wake up. I am just waiting for a window of few sunny days with high enough temperature. I know many fruits trees are sensitive to lime sulphur during active growing season.

From what I read in multiple places, apricots should never be sprayed with lime sulphur, including the dormant spray. With this knowledge at hand, I never tried doing this myself.

3 Likes

apricots are sensitive to sulfur all the time and shouldn’t have dormant lime sulfur applied. here’s a sample reference with “Do not use lime sulfur on apricots”:

2 Likes

Thanks Stan, z0r. My apricot is grafted on plum , I guess I can cover that apricot branch when I spray lime sulphur.

1 Like

Did you plant your summer delight yet? If yes, how is it doing? I just got one from OGW and it seems like waking up from sleep.

1 Like

I planted both Summer delight and Leah cot in the pots for the first year. They’re looking good so far.
I am so excited to watch them growing every day.

4 Likes

They look lovely!! I think I was late to buy, got one thinner caliper but super tall (like 9 ft).

1 Like

It’s not late for planting season yet. I just ordered a couple more splash Pluot from OGW. Yes some time they send a tiny trees with good root and well parked box. I got my sweet treat just a pencil size from them. So I planted in container with some slow released fertilizer to push its growing for the first year. @Oregon_Fruit_Grow

1 Like

Which slow release fertilizer do you use.

1 Like

I mixed not too much in soil 14.14.14. I think it’s easy to buy 10.10.10 from Lowe. Some people won’t apply fertilizer to the new trees. So do some research first before you do it please. @Oregon_Fruit_Grow

Thanks, I don’t have much experience with fruit trees but been growing veggies successfully. I will probably lightly fertilize them with half strength Dynagro foliage pro its not too hot only 9-3-6.

1 Like

Leah cot and Summer delight Aprium 5.23

4 Likes

My summer delight has started to leaf out. I will post a picture later in the day.

1 Like