Are all squash/zucchinis bland?

Squash, zucchini, whatever you call them. I’m wondering if it’s just the Walmart seed variety I bought that sucked, or if there really is a difference between the taste of varieties, like with tomatoes.

2 Likes

Well… All elongated pumpkins with bland taste are called zucchini (or squash). If it has not so bland taste, it can be called a pumpkin (like Pink Banana for example) or acorn squash (which have great potato-like taste). So oblong pumpkins with taste exist, but the thing is about terms.

1 Like

There is a range of flavor between varieties, but it also depends on the growing conditions and when you pick them. More sun = more flavor, and the younger you pick them the better (in most cases). Generally speaking, you should pick them the day they’re pollinated. After that, they just balloon with water and dilute the flavor.

The more flavorful varieties can sometimes be less productive, but that’s precisely why they taste better: they’re splitting their resources between fewer fruits. A lot of summer squash are all water and little taste, and the challenge when cooking them becomes getting rid of excess water so they can brown but before they turn to mush. The way to handle this is fairly high heat and plenty of space. Grilling is great, a pan can work if you’re careful not to crowd it and keep things moving.

To slightly amend what @Jah said, zucchini is the Italian word for any squash/pumpkin picked before it is ripe, much like the Spanish calabacita. It literally translates as “little squash” or “young squash.” Armed with that knowledge, you’ll find that there are a whole host of squashes/pumpkins that make good summer squash/zucchini. Unfortunately, many of them are selected for winter squash production and will not produce as well as a variety developed for summer squash production. Some of my favorite summer squash are the not ripe yet butternut squash or Seminole pumpkin at frost time. Even the half ripe ones are quite good and a special treat, sort of halfway between a summer and winter squash. For a classic long zucchini, I’ve always liked Costata Romanesca. You might also try some of the patty pan squashes, or some other Italian heirlooms.

8 Likes

As stated, summer squash are not a flavor powerhouse. But, they are what they are and there is a place for them if you like a subtle squishy veg that plays well with most any other flavor(eggplant falls into this category too, IMO). I grow Black Beauty zucchini every year. My favorite recipes are Calabacitas(squash, chili peppers, onion, and cheese{though some folks don’t do cheese}), Curried zucchini soup, simply sautéed or grilled, and of course zucchini bread or sometimes lemon zucchini bread. I used to grow yellow crooked neck, but eventually abandoned them because they to me they have less flavor and get seedier than I like way too fast. I tried patty pan too, they just didn’t justify the space for me either in addition to plain old zucchini. With zucchini you get a lot of vegetable bang for your buck when it comes space to used.

4 Likes

I’m going to respectfully disagree on the subject of eggplant being subtle. I find it has a strong taste that’ll even punch through when fried and slathered in tomato sauce and cheese when given the Parmagiana treatment. This is especially true with some of the less common varieties.

Back on the subject of zucchini, I think BB is okay for flavor, but excellent for yield. Costata Romanesca sacrifices yield for a noticeably (to me, anyway) stronger flavor.

2 Likes

No disrespect taken :slight_smile: . I have grown several varieties of eggplant, but none of the smaller sized ones which I imagine could be more intense. I usually grow the Italian mid size, I used to grow the Asian long slender ones as well but for some reason haven’t for quite a few years.

I grew a grey zucchini for a few years too, it fell the same was as the other summer squash. Just wasn’t enough to set it apart from BB.

1 Like

If you want something more tasteful, but not pumpkin - try Tromboncino, or Zucchetta. You can eat it young as summer squash or let it grow to become a winter squash and you can store it. Just be aware - this plant is a monster, one plant is enough for family of two for whole year long.

4 Likes

Regarding Tromboncino when used as zucchini, personally I find it’s flavor (fried) inferior to a good zucchini and when used ripe as a squash it’s not worth eating at all.

1 Like

Same advice really

If you do not like the squash you picked try picking it at half that size next time.

6 Likes

I haven’t tried tromboncino personally, but I see such a difference if opinion on whether it’s bland or flavorful that I suspect that there are many varieties that all get lumped together in the American market.

This one sounds promising:

And it’s a moschata so it will have fewer pest problems.

2 Likes

I can’t grow maxima or pepos because of SVB, so I’m always interested in trying moschatas as summer squashes. So far I have not tried one that I liked, so still looking. I’d like to try this one, but it is out of stock at present. Maybe next year.

1 Like

Young tromponcino in my opinion is great fried as french fries with garlic. Comparing to zucchini it stays dry and keeps the shape. It is also wonderful pickled, more firm than zucchini and can be used from baby size to a larger fruit. As winter squash I enjoy it fried, in casseroles and baked. But where it is absolutely amazing it is in saute. It gives thickness and ties ingredients together without too noticeable “pumpkin” off taste.
But I understand different people have different taste, just wanted to be an advocate of a great vegetable :grinning: .

2 Likes

The Butternut Squash
if fully ripe
has a great flavor
Same thing for
Blue Kuri squash

Supermarket produce
is often less than fully ripe.
Shelf life trumps flavor.

1 Like

My favorite are petitPanSquash,

Iimage

5 Likes

You might also try cucuzza, which are gourds Lagenaria siceraria used like zucchini.

1 Like

Yeah, saw those on the website you sent and I was curious. Have you grown those? We did grow birdhouse gourds one year and they did very well - no trouble from bugs. Only problem was that the plant took over the whole yard! The plant smelled weird too; not sure if that is all gourds or just that one.

Anyway, I need to try it out.

I am trying this one out in the upcoming season (a moschata):

2 Likes

We grew buttercup squash when I was a kid, and it was the best I have had. I don’t think I have enough heat in PNW to grow it, but I have not tried.

Normally I’m all for heirloom varieties, but uneven fight with powdery mildew steered me mostly toward hybrids for cucurbits. I love Starburst - yellow patty pan squash, and Zephyr - yellow squash with a green tip. Both look fun and different, are prolific and happy plants, and in my experience the flesh is denser, more flavorful and less watery than grocery store stuff. But, they are zucchinis, so “more flavorful” is still relative. I agree on picking young. But they are both fantasic, I really like them sliced thin and sauteed, doesn’t even need a lot of oil, I rather add some water once the pan gets hot to flash steam in the pan. Still doesnt turn them mushy. If I was to pick one, I’d go with Zephyr. Less prolific, but the standard shape makes it more versatile. And the skin on Starburst gets tough faster.
I shared them with friends this year (the famous summer squash problem) and both were well liked.

2 Likes

This info is so cool!

1 Like