Asian / European plum grafting compatibility

that’s my thinking as well. Mine also seemed to be kinda stunted which may have caused further problems.

1 Like

I just grafted some to K1 rootstock and boy does that stock have nice roots!

AI would also like to nominate a nectarine for renaming

Kreibich Nectarine

A friend of mine was looking at my yard and commented that I knew the exact names of all the varieties of fruit, but I just called this one “a nectarine”

I’ll admit, if I ever get fruit off of it (the squirrels wipe them out at about dime size) I might be afraid to try it…

Lol

Sorry about that. Are Japanese plums more vigorous than nectarines? I’d like to maybe try adding a plum, or maybe I should just stick to a peach?

Scott

1 Like

It is very interesting and knowledgable information, thank you all.

Raintree puts their frankenplum grafts on something they call "peachroot’

Makes me think of grafting a peach on there somewhere

Yes/No?

I’ve read this thread now twice and compiled notes:

EDIT: European to Asian plum = no

Asian to European is not always compatible. In fact in most cases is not. Don’t even mess with it. (crfg publication) The majority of members report incompatibility. EDIT: According to the chard many will work.

Japanese plum to Japanese plum or rootstocks: St Julien, Citation, Krymsk 1, Krymsk 86

Peach accepts European plums (chart says); pluots do well according to Lizzy; Asian plums do well according to Lizzy but member Lizzy however lost many E.plums on peach. Figure that one out.

Apricots accept pluots very well. EDIT: Japanese plums (Some see chart) / European (Most not compatible)
Apricot to Apricot: interstem a pluot prior to adding new apricot cultivar

Raintree Nursery puts all their multi-plum grafts onto peach root.

Old Asian plum trees may have better acceptance to European plums because they are not as vigorous as younger trees. There within lies the possible compatibility when grafting European plums to Asian plums.

I did not keep notes on Prunus cerasifera. I don’t care for it particularly because of canker/disease proneness.

Dax

2 Likes

Check out the chart that Appleseed70 provides on Feb '15 from CRFG. Brady
European Plum on Asian Plum stock =No
Asian Plum to European stock=Many work
European Plum on Apricot stock=Most European plums not compatible
Japanese Plum on Apricot stock= Some Japanese plums not compatible

Perfect. Thanks for the response, Brady.

Dax

@Bradybb Thanks, obviously I have editing to do on my above notes.

Dax

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the chart. Brady

1 Like

I have a plum tree with 10-14 varieties on it. Mostly Euros as I was curious if euros can grow for me on East Coast without much trouble (they do have trouble hehe but i have gotten great Golden Transparents plums off of it). the one asian Shiro plum on it does really well on it (probably the best on that rootstock) and some of the Euros also do pretty well growth-wise as well (one Mirabelle branch go so heavy [without fruit], it almost broke off so had to support it for a while). Green Gage on it and Golden Transparent seem to grow well on it.

I just don’t know what the rootstock is. My mom took a seed of a plum she liked in California (maybe a Santa Rosa?) and planted it in PA and assumed it would be true :)… ended up being a small sour red plum… so it became my rootstock and i had to start grafting onto 4 years ago hehe.

1 Like

Well, two years ago I grafted Euros to a J. plum and they are flourishing. I will be very surprised if these extremely healthy 1"+ diameter branches, now well over 5’ long, fail. The graft unions are completely sound (I have bent them to close to horizontal with quite a bit of force and the callouses are beautiful). What mechanism could cause them to fail? How long do they have to survive and bare fruit to prove compatibility?

I will believe the tree before I believe the literature.

1 Like

I’ve been having the same impressions. I remember most of your comments above by the way.

Dax

1 Like

I cant provide much experience to this subject. But the combination J.Plum/Pluot on E.Plum seems to be common in european nurseries. I got Flavor Supreme and Flavor King both on St. Julien A rootstock. I am hoping there will be no longterm compatibility issue. Maybe I should do some backup grafts. I understand there probably will be no issue. But with all that different information on this question I have some last hints of doubt. I really would hate losing those varieties. They still are hard to find in germany. Flavor King I had to buy in UK.

You bring up a good point. If I understand correctly, St. Julien A is in Prunus Ininsititia, a subspecies of Prunus Domestica, which also contains Damsons. I wonder how they differ and what it means for grafting compatibility. In any case, you will probably be OK because Raintree Nursery (in the US) puts asian plums on St. Julien A.

I wonder why they don’t offer Myrobalan (Prunus cerasifera) for a rootstock option in your area? It does produce a bigger tree (supposedly), so maybe it has to do with the dwarf tree preference in the fruit world?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I posted about this somewhere already, but I don’t see it earlier in this thread. Last spring I did grafted a few Euros onto AU Rosa/Producer (2-3 on each). The results were that the Euros all took on the AU stock and grew much more than they did on the Euro stock. I’ll be watching this in the future to see if incompatibility comes later.

26 tot euro grafts:
5 for 5 on AU Rosa/Producer, 25" growth
12 for 15 on Euro (mostly Jam Session and Vision), 10" growth
5 for 6 on Krymsk 1, 6" growth *

• The K1 is a much younger/smaller stock than the others, which could also explain the slower scion growth.

Growth measured on 7/12.

I also chip budded Opal onto the AUs in August 2015. Most failed (as most of my chip buds do), but one which took grew well last year (over 2’) by mid-July.

4 Likes

Here’s mine I got from Costco several years ago. It came with Santa Rosa, Satsuma, Friar, Italian, and French Prune. I added Alderman and Superior to it last year.

1 Like

You are right, it is Prunus domestica subsp. insititia.

Its the same reason as always: time and space. Myrobalane makes the bigger tree and fruits later, plus it is suckering. I actually like St. Julien A a lot as my standard rootstock. But in this case I like those varieties even more :sweat_smile:

That is great news. Euros don’t typically grow well here but adding a few scions is worth a try. Thanks

Did you add to the root stock or one of the existing grafts?

1 Like