Asian / European plum grafting compatibility

I took out the main branch in the middle, which was the Santa Rosa (don’t worry, there are still more branches) and then bark grafted the Superior on it and whipped and tongued the Alderman on a lower smaller branch of the Santa Rosa. I tried side grafting to the root stock in the past, but no luck.

I budded some peaches onto pluot seedlings (i’m guessing FK) and they took, but haven’t started leafing out yet.

During the same time period, I made 15 Asian plum grafts on the 2 AU trees. 11 takes and 16" of growth. So it is interesting that Euro plums had higher take rates and grew faster than Asian plums on an Asian plum stock. I’m not sure if it matters, but I think AU Rosa is 25% Chicksaw plum.

All limited sample size, but still interesting. Like Alan, I’ll be watching to see how these do in the coming years.

I should mention that when I measure growth, I add up all the side branches which grow on the graft. For example, a Kahinta graft (the largest one) had 3 buds grow for 32", 27", and 13", so it totaled 72" of growth.

Complete list of Euros which took on AU plums:
Opal
President
Early Laxton
Mirabelle de Metz
Mirabelle de September
Coe’s

1 Like

Here’s a good look at what I did in the middle of the tree…

3 Likes

Just wondering if it’s possible to graft plum on cherry rootstock Krymsk 6?

Update on my Euro plums on peach–two of my 2015 grafts that took, and even produced (only a couple of plums each) last year, are stone cold dead this spring.

As for plum, my Parfum de Septembre Mirabelle (Euro) had one limb that was growing like gangbusters and I figured that rather than take it out (to even up growth) I would slow it down by grafting on it. But I stupidly grafted the vigorous Lavina (Japanese plum even though it’s said to be from Lithuania) onto it, and it grew even faster! Makes the tree look ridiculous. I did prune it way back, but probably still left too much since I’m so much more likely to get fruit from Lavina than from the Mirabelle. I’ve also got grafts of all the other Mirabelles on it, as well as Golden Transparent Gage, Jefferson, and Stanley, and the second fastest growing grafted branch is Mirabelle de Metz–more obviously compatible.

1 Like

I have a strange combination of Bavay’s gage plum grafted on Citation rootstock. The tree grew VERY slowly and definitely a dwarf. But this year, its fifth year in the ground, I noticed a few flowerbuds. Moreover several varieties of euro plums which I grafted on it last year also have flower buds. My other euro plum is on the other rootstock and much larger but it has zero flower buds and the same varieties grafted on it has no flowers. So Citation rootstock is kind of a winner in this situation. I wonder how citation can slow down an asian plum. I may try to graft an A. plum on my Bavay’s gage.

Citation definitely helps get asian plums fruiting faster. I have one Euro on citation and it fruited several years before any other.

1 Like

I agree. But for me it sucks on non-vigorous varieties. I would like my Flavor Grenade pluot to be on Myro because it is a self dwarfing cultivar. Most of my customers have enough space for actual trees.

I have a Raintree Nadia on a St. Julian rootstock. Last spring I grafted a Stanley plum on it. Pollenatation charts show the Nadia to be compatible with Asians and European plums. The graft survived. I have a sweet treat pluerry I will try and grafting on it next year and the Nadia on it.

2 Likes

@alan, @BobVance and all.

Are there any news about longterm incompatibiltiy when grafting E.plum onto J.plum or are the grafts still doing fine?

@Barkslip I saw this post again today, and wanted to update you with my experience. Last year I grafted the following, and they all took and most fruited this year:

Moorpark apricot on Flavor Grenade pluot
Moorpark apricot on Emerald Drop pluot
Mirsunjeli Late apricot on Emerald Drop pluot
Robada apricot on Flavor Grenade pluot
Robada apricot on Flavor Delight Aprium
Lasgerdi Mashhad apricot on Splash pluot
Lasgerdi Mashhad apricot on Flavor Delight aprium
Lavinia plum on Splash pluot
Ilona and Early Blush apricots on Spring Satin plumcot

Failures: Moniqui and Shalah, 2-3 grafts of each, on different trees (pluots, plumcot and aprium).

@Stan FYI.

12 Likes

I grafted many pluots on my seedling apricot trees. The success rate is very high. A few were grafted two years ago and still go strong; most this year, so long-term compatibility still remains to be determined.

2 Likes

Anyone have an update on Euro plums grafting to Japanese rootstock? Im considering grafting mirabelle and golden gage to Satsuma.

1 Like

Ask Mamuang!

1 Like

What I know work\s is J plums to E plums. I haven’t tried the reverse.

2 Likes

This is an anecdotal evidence, but here it is. A person I know had a mislabeled “Bavay” plum tree which in fact was a green-skinned Asian plum. Before she realized that it was actually an Asian plum, she tried to graft multiple Euro plums on it and none of the grafts succeeded. And she is a very experienced and skillful grafter.

3 Likes

Never try E plums on J plums. Don’t think it will work. I have J plums on E plums, Elephant Heart, Methley, Broken Heart. All work well for 3 years now…

Just grafted Flavor King, Nadia, Lavina, Laroda on E plums. Will find out in 2-3+weeks.

3 Likes

Not sure this counts. I have Reine des Mirabelles chip budded on Santa Rosa. It looks like a take

5 Likes

I did several and they worked fine. I didn’t keep any long-term though, just a couple years when I removed them since they were in bad spots.

3 Likes