Ataulfo Mango in Northern California

@510stan, your mangoes look great, looks like you will for sure have fruit this fall! How awesome is that! We discovered we really like mangoes a lot here, I have bought 4 grafted trees, not supposed to do good here in Orangevale, but we have decided to put up a greenhouse and try them out. We are growing so many fruits and vegetables here, and the climate is warming, so Mangoes are possible here. I have many seedlings started and hope to graft them over in 5 or 6 years. I have plans to graft 4 varieties to each Mango tree, and have many varieties! We wish we tried good Mangoes earlier, most of the ones here have been just OK, but the later ones from California here have been excellent! The reason we have started growing them here! The hot water bath may have something to do with it. Seems to degrade quality. Thanks for sharing your success story, really cool, actually awesome!! Congrats!

THANKS FG. I was told by all ā€œthe expertsā€ on tropical fruit forum that Mangoes would never grow here. They also told me Avocados wont either and they are huge treeā€™s here. So much for what they know about growing outside their front yard-lol.
Try them outside,insideā€¦I tell people in nor cal- plant a group of them. Because one tree can take a decade to give many fruits. With five plants that fruit early or even the same year you plant them (grafted) you can pick a bowlful early. They will never be large treeā€™s hereā€¦so go with numbers to make up for that. If you have the room,thats the way to go.
The last time we had Mango killing cold was 2007. Ok,every 13 years you have to cover and heat them. Not that hard!
With climate changeā€¦it might never get even 2007 cold again let alone the big freeze of 1992.

3 Likes

It is exciting that Nor.Cal folks are trying to grow mangoes. Not to discourage anyone, but all the personal experiences I see on tropical fruit growers groups say its a really hard one to pull off. Except for that one producing mango tree in Fremont (which is the topic of many youtube videos), I donā€™t see any success stories. I hope @510stan, @fruitgrower and others can change that.

@fruitgrower, I really like California-grown Keitt mangoes. They are huge and surprisingly green when ripe (atleast the ones I got my hands on) and very tasty. Another source for good mangoes is to check out some of the Indian grocery stores around end of May (There is one Reliance Indian store near you, but may not happen this year due to Covid) and they sell them in boxes. I really like ā€œmalgovaā€, ā€œalphonsoā€ and ā€œbanganapalliā€ varieties, but I havenā€™t tasted all of them. I heard the supplier also has an online option (https://mangozz.com), but I havenā€™t tried it so far. The mangoes available in these stores outside of this window are not even worth the trip.

2 Likes

Two thumbs up on the avocados. I see them everywhere around here. All sizes and ages. Including my neighbors who sprouted them from seed (i.e. not so cold hardy hass seedlings). So many that squirrels leave half eaten fruit in my yard from who knows where.

Funnily enough, I had a much harder time growing them in Socal, where I was maybe 30 minutes north of Fallbrook, the avocado capital.

1 Like

@510stan do you have an idea on the salinity of your irrigation water please?

Well, Iā€™ll be damned. How did I miss this thread? This is so cool youā€™re having this kind of success here in the Bay Area. Iā€™d love to find one that could take our chillier winters (but hotter summers) here in Livermore.

Keep us posted!

1 Like

Also, how far are the fruits now? Iā€™m very curious to see the shape of the new variety.

Been so long,I forgot I was posting about Mangoes. It was a bumper Manila crop and the Ataulfo? Sweeter,but smaller do to the fact its just 5ā€™ ā€¦when its about 10f,the fruit will be full sized. Photos of bothā€¦Manila on top of a few Ataulfo with Monstera fruit. Variegated.

8 Likes

ATAULFO.

6 Likes

Manila and Ataulfo.

!

8 Likes

Are they related?

Yes, Ataulfo is a sport of Manila that got its own fame for being golden yellow and I think,a little sweeter. Some think too sweet.
But both are southeast Asian Mangoes of smaller fruit and more cold tolerance as has been proven over and over in Californiaā€™s Med climate.
We ALWAYS have a winter.

1 Like

Hi would you happen to be grafting your Ataulfo?! Iā€™m in Hayward and am looking for a plant for my mother.

Home Depot stores are selling mango trees in the Bay Area. Something I never saw several years ago.

Nothing special about my Ataulfoā€¦grown from seed bought at an Asian market 6 years ago. Last year it and my Manila had lots of fruit and it looks like this year itā€™s going to be a recovery year from that herculean effort. No flowering and instead its flushing just leaves right now. I pretty much expected that. Maybe when its a 20ā€™ tree,it will have fruit and flush regular by then.

1 Like

I just had my Ataulfo mango seed sprouted and came to this thread. So happy to see this since I live in Fremont. Now I donā€™t think I need to buy any mango trees from nursery anymore since I love the flavor. How are your mango trees coping with wind? @510stan I live in the mission area that is a bit exposed. The wind is about 20mph almost every afternoon here.

1 Like

@510stan im in Hayward and was wondering if youā€™d be willing to sell me a tree!? My moms dream fruit is an Ataulfo and I havenā€™t yet found a decent plant to purchase. Please let me know, and great looking plants!

Sorry!..I didnā€™t plant any seeds from last year. I should have I guess. This year is looking to be all foliage,no flowering. Young Mangoes in the bay area might be alternate bearing. After they grow larger? Who knows? Its all new territory.
IF the Ataulfo fruits again,I will try to get back to you.

3 Likes

Ahh ok good to know! Thank you for your reply!

Just thought Iā€™d let you know this thread was what motivated me a few months ago to sprout a couple Ataulfo seeds for growing in my greenhouse.

Itā€™s definitely too cold here in Seattle for a mango to survive outdoors, and Iā€™m only planning to heat it enough to stay above freezing, but not really to tropical levels, so I didnā€™t think my greenhouse would be warm enough for mangos. However, I think itā€™ll definitely be no colder than the Bay area in there unless my heater fails, so I figured why not try.

The larger of my two seedlings just pushed its third pair of leaves, they havenā€™t stiffened up yet though.

Seems happy enough for now, but weā€™ll have to see how it handles the dark winter in the greenhouseā€¦

Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes