AU Golden Kiwi Order

how tall are those plants? (without the roots, preferably)

$250 shipping is insane!!!

Scott

They are ripping off people because of the demand.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Kandis. She needed my credit card details again as they had wrote it down wrong. She let me know before I even got around to complaining that shipping had been reduced to $100. Which is only $20(call it handling) more then the UPS (shipping) quote I got for $80.

2 Likes

My plants showed up today. They look really good with big healthy root systems but they were also bare root.

I went ahead and planted them out because they should be hardy enough to survive the winter.

1 Like

I am growing both Golden Sunshine and Gulf Coast Females in North Alabama. Golden Tiger and Chieftan Males. I also have a Hayward and an unknown variety sold locally in Huntsville Ala. (they think it is a sunny girl and sunny boy or something like that). I also have hardy kiwi.

@scottfsmith Did it look like they were two year old plants. Do you know when they quit shipping? Do they have males or do regular fuzzy males work? I’d like to get 5, but $250 is Wow.
Fixed that deer problem we were talking about. A buck finished off one of my cherry trees couple weeks ago. Now I am in the process of putting an eight foot fence everywhere. Problem solved.

Shipping is 10 dollars since they are shipping barefooted plants

not exactly the box cost $80 to ship and $20 for the handling they just stock 10 in the same box which brought it down to $10 each.

Kiwi’s flower for 2-3 weeks tops and flowering ahs to overlap for 80% of that time I would not count on pollination by anything but the cultivars designated male. Fortunately one male is good for up to 8 females. I suspect the kiwi group is likely still shipping.

1 Like

Yes it’s still in shipment. Should be there by the 18th, did you get my email

Sorry thought that was meant for me similar first letters

Did you get my email

So it’s not $25 per plant shipping now? Did they have males?

$25 was the quoted shipping. When it came down to actual shipping cost where lower. Basicly 10 plants where shipped in 1 box for $100, The box was huge, the plans where huge, but it only weighted 22lb. I am not sure how many more plants could fit into the box but if you buy 5 plants I would expect the shipping to still be $100 at this point because of the size of the box not the weight.

The kiwi names and there mates are in the first post in this thread.

Think I might wait till more people complain about the shipping cost to see if it comes down. Did you put yours in the ground or pot? I am near you and a little worried about planting the regular fuzzy kiwi I bought in the winter.

The shipping was fair. I did the math the shipping was $80 and the handling $20. I did not order for my self I reshipped them to help west coast forum members since TGW would not ship to the west coast.
@scottfsmith how was your final shipping costs?

Not good … half the price was shipping :frowning:

How hardy are these? Do you think they would work in zone 6b?

The root stock for these are A. deliciosa seedlings. My experience with A. deliciosa hardiness in a 6b/7a climate has not been good, at least for the first 2-3 years. However, I think it depends on how consistently cold it is where you grow them. They don’t seem to stay hardy during extended warm spells, then the trunks freeze. The yellow kiwis seem to tolerate the warm spells just fine. My yellows have not shown any damage down to -5 F.

I would recommend that anyone buying these keeps them protected from extreme cold this winter. Next fall, take cuttings once they are dormant, in case you have to re-graft. The roots will send up vigorous new shoots if the trunk dies, and you can graft dormant wood to the new green growth, which will heal and grow really fast. If you re-graft, make sure the new graft is as close to the ground as possible, so you can bury the graft union. I plan to layer mine to get the yellow kiwis self-rooted, just to be safe. You can also try rooting green cuttings, but they take a long time and my success has been very limited.

I was charged $50 shipping for two plants, even though they were in one box.

My plants had enough growth that I cut off the tops and put in fridge. I am going to backup graft them to some of my other stocks this coming spring. With $50 shipping I am in no mood to re-order these guys…