Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

I do 4-5 sprays now starting at delayed dormant. One delayed dormant and 3-4 in the Surround tanks post shuck split. Also I now often double up with Elevate in the same tank. I am at basically zero brown rot and I have not sprayed anything since the first week of June.

“A spray in time saves nine (sprays)” :grin:

2 Likes

In case it hasn’t been done I wonder if some experienced folks here could create a thread or several on recommended spraying for different fruit trees.

As a beginner stone/pome fruit grower I find it daunting to read all the different product names, spray timings, etc. available retail.

Perhaps it’s already need done?

I’m one of those guys who doesn’t mind getting instructions to follow when I feel like I’m drowning in information.

I can understand why you would like such a more organized spray schedule.

If you have not seen it, In the Guides Category, @scottfsmith posted his Low Impact Spray and @Alan1 posted his Synthetic Spray Schedule.

I have been around here a long time. I have noticed that when someone creates a thread intended for one particular subject, it often gets sidetracked (sometimes, off track) and there will be several contradicting opinions.

I usually go to Guides, read about the Low Impact (my preference) and adjust it to my area and my situation. For example, I may not have everything Scott has (like Elevate) so I adjust my spray mix accordingly.

What to spray, how much to spray, when to spray, etc. is a big pain. I never like spraying but I want a relative clean fruit to eat and share.

1 Like

Definitely, will start spraying fungicide early next year. I have noticed more brown rot blossom blight in cherries and peaches this year.

Thanks much for the direction.

I don’t spend much time in front of a computer, so I haven’t properly searched the different areas of the forum.
:slight_smile:

You want to know about spray materials, spray amount, etc., etc.
Such info is in the Guides category.

I’ve had bad blossomn blight in sour cherries for a while now. I think that’s why I’ve gotten almost no yield for 5+ years. The question is what to do about it. I sparyed Dacodil this spring (label says it is good for blossom blight) back in March (pre-bloom). Then during bloom, I sprayed again (Immunox? Luna Sensation? not sure which) and I still got blossom blight and almost no fruit.

My current thinking is that next year I can spray several times pre and during bloom, with a bunch of different fungacides. If that doesn’t work, maybe it is something that is resident in the bark, at which point I could cut them to the ground, removing all the wood and see if the new growth does better in future years.

Bob
How close your bush cherries to each other or to other trees/bushes? I wonder about how well air circulation your cherry bushes have received.

My Juliet is the only bush with nothing in front of it but apple trees in the back. Although I complained about losing 50-60% of cherry fruitlets early on (I believe mostly because of not enough cross pollination and some to blossom blight).

There was not much brown rot during the first round of picking. Then, we had more and more rain. The last couple of rounds, I saw more split and rot. Still, I got about 23-24 lbs from one bush.

I started my first fungicide spray of Indar and Captan at petal fall and 2 more before cherries were picked.

Peaches give me more headache because it take longer time to ripen.

I don’t have Luna Sensation. Next year, my first fungicide spray will be at delayed dormant and the next one will be at bloom.

Some of them (Carmine Jewel & Crimson Passion) are spaced about 5’ from others in a row. Another one is a bit off on it’s own on a hill (Romeo). And I have some other CJ/CP (not sure which at this point) in a few other spots. I also have a Montmorency off on it’s own (garden bed S of it and a fig which died back N of it in the row), as well as a Danube tucked away in a corner being burried in kiwi vines. They all seem to have the same issues and none produced more than 1-2 cherries (most had 0).

Bob
@scottfsmith said he could get clean fruit with 4-5 Indar and Elevate combo and his spraying schedule starts early.

Maybe, that’s could be a winning combo for you, too.

I think that might be for once you have things under control. Getting them under control in the first place could be tough. But spraying a few more times early in the season is a good thing to try. Maybe I didn’t get the right point in the bloom.

1 Like

Scott started his first fungicide spray at delayed dormant. At bloom is his second spray. I think I will do that next year.

1 Like

Bob,
My Carmine Jewel has the same problem with Blossom Blight.
I first tried Immunox,a few years ago and that seemed to help but didn’t like it being a systemic.So,Captain was used, with limited success.Daconil was sprayed this Spring.There was Blight but a fair amount of fruit.
Maybe a strong systemic will be needed for a season, before milder stuff can be tried.

1 Like

A pic of a kiwi eating a cherry tree…

Stranger than that is a kiwi that was labeled as a “male arctic” kiwi that has fruit…

I guess it is possible a vine snuck off the trellis, but it didn’t seem like it at first glance. I’ll do some more tracing at some point. And of course see if the fruit matches any of my existing vines.

I got a couple white apricots. They were from a graft on a tree at home. I think it is Shah Kar Pareh, but I’ll need to search for the graft union to be sure. It was OK, but not great. Juicy and fairly ripe, but a bit tart at 15 brix. Only 4 fruit, from quite a large graft and 2 of them rotted.

Many (most?) of my Euro plums make little or no fruit. But Muir Beauty seems to have decided it was time. None of the other varieties on this tree (or its neighboring tree) have much at all.

3 Likes

Bob, your jujubes set well in the rain. Mine don’t.

Your Euro plums do not set that well this year. Mine set like crazy. I have tried to thin but there are too many of them. I think they may skip fruit next year. They skipped last year. Esp. Mirabelles.

Mirabelle Parfume de Septembre

Mirabelles de Nancy

@mrsg47 de Nancy scionwood was from you.

5 Likes

Other Euro plums set very well, too.

French Improved.

Coe’s Golden Drop only a branch or two left.

Bavay and your fake Valor set well, too.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what happened to these flies, I assume some fungus, but I thought it was worth sharing.

2 Likes

Fabulous, mine here are starting to ripen. My Nancy does not turn bright yellow like your Parfum du Septembre. But the aroma is just as strong and the taste is the sweetest of all of the plums I know!!! I hope you love them too!

2 Likes

I have a deadly beetle. It is attacking all of my trees. And I thought I had no problems. I have only sprayed copper. Now I have three sprays (four including copper) and larvae to spread. Yikes! They attack peaches, plums and apricots. The trees I have the most of. Oh brother. You can run, but you can’t hide!

3 Likes

Do you grow your plum tree in container? I’m beginning to doubt they will give me any fruit.

1 Like