Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Hosui, picked two weeks ago and Korean Giant picked today, 9/25/21 to compare their coloring. KG has not fully ripened yet but definitely edible.

!

7 Likes

I like to post a size comparison. Here are my Euro pears.

I still have Harrow Sweet, Elliott and Douglas (both grafted) on the trees.

@clarkinks Do you have Douglas? When does it ripen for you?

9 Likes

I lined them up in an alphabetical order.

Honey Sweet picked today and Blake’s Pride last week so both will be back in a fridge.

Aurora, Maxine and Seckel spent two weeks in a fridge and are on the counter today.

@IL847 I will see what Maxine will taste like after two weeks in a fridge.

6 Likes

Your honey sweet is very large. Does it taste as sweet as honey?

I just checked pics of Honey Sweet. Mine may not be correctly label as mine was russeted, not thin-skinned like the pic.

1 Like

@mamuang

Douglas should be ripe but it’s not ripe yet. Odly I have one Harrow sweet tree not ripe yet. One tree of Harrow sweet I picked a long time ago. Winter has been hanging on more in recent years in Kansas causing delayed fruit ripening and other problems. Korean Giant , improved Kieffer, Duchess D’angoulme and Douglas are all still ripening. Korean Giant has lots of rotting this year. Here are some photos Got a fruit tree heavy with fruit? Post it!

95% of my KG this year got bug damage. Could be a combination of Tarnished Plant bugs and stink bugs. They must have attacked later on as I sprayed insecticide 3 times after petal fall.

I can live with minimal spray for pears but some years like this one, most fruit are damaged.

1 Like

@mamuang

Odly at my property the insects targeted 3 pears Korean Giant, Harrow Delight, and clapps favorite. Korean Giant and Harrow Delight had the biggest losses.

2 Likes

Only Korean Giant that sustain the most damage this year. Never seen this much damage before. Almost all KG have dimples,

2 Likes

Mine were the same very heavy damage and my other Asian pears have no damage. I left many drippin’ honey on the tree to lure bugs away with a riper pear but it didn’t work. For whatever reason Korean Giant seems to be #1 on bugs list this year.

2 Likes

More pears ripened.

!
I picked Harrow Sweet a bit early this year. Hope they will ripen in the fridge.

Elliot actually fell off.

Size comparison.

9 Likes

Some of my apples picked a few days ago.

Orin was the sweetest. Baker’s Delight was sweet. Crunch A bunch was sweet/tart. The unknown had traces of being red/pink fleshed. It had tender flesh while the first three were quite crunchy.

9 Likes

The Unknown above is likely to be Pink Pearl. I hope it fruit again next year.

1 Like

I have some unknown fruit varieties because:

• scionwood was mislabeled
  • I mislabeled the graft myself
  • their tags flew off

This time I have another beautiful unknown russeted apple that I will post on one of the apple ID threads to see if people can help me ID it.

If you notice, I like posting a line up of different varieties of the same of fruit because it helps show size comparison.

Here some apples.

These are mid season apples. I put them in a fridge waiting for late varieties to ripen before I attempt to organize apple tasting with friends.

11 Likes

Is there any chance to go do some hunting & trapping on your neighborhood? Lol

If you volunteer :joy:

1 Like

This morning, I came across this mushroom near my peach tree. It is delicate and beautiful.

!

And the ugly last month.

8 Likes

The mushroom looks like glass.

A nice looking wine glass :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Look like my Unknown is likely be Razor Russet.

My pawpaws started ripening. Gave them to friends and neighbors to try. Overall feedback has been positive. @mrsg47 wish you were here. You would be my taste tester. Shenandoah is mild. Good for pawpaw beginners!!

My latest nectarines, September Free, started to drop. So many cloudy and rainy days this year have not been helpful. They have not been as sweet as I hope. Brix varies from 12-14. It is a free stone nectarine. Sizes vary (after thinning well) from 4 oz to 9+ oz.

10 Likes