Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Does it taste better this year?

It is in the fridge and will be there for at least two weeks. Last year I had a bunch. They did not taste anywhere as to the Harrow series. (I have H Delight and H. Sweet)

1 Like

I have had pears from a same tree vary quite a bit depending on when I picked them and I assume how they were refrigerated. So wait til you’ve tried several to rate them.

This would be my 3rd or 4th year fruiting BP. I hope its eating quality will improve. I am not a fan of pears with some gritty texture.

I don’t think Blakes Pride measures up to Potomac in taste department, but they’ve both been free of disease. We haven’t had a bad blight year here in maybe eight or nine years, then I’ll know more.

2 Likes

My Blake’s Pride was planted 2012. I must have had fruit for at least 4 years.

The tree has never gotten fire blight but right now I converted most of the branches to other better-quality varieties.

1 Like

Ate my last wrinkled, a bit under-ripe Honey Punch pluot yesterday.

It was very good. The more unripe part was firmer and more tart. The riper part was sweet. Brix was 21.

Too bad, all cracked in excessive rain. I hope it will hold up better on a normal year.

The ripening time for my location would be the 2nd week of Sept.

I really like this pluot.

3 Likes

My late peach, Autumn Star, are ripening. I picked most of them on 9/21 to avoid more rain on 9/22. 3 Indar fungicide before bagging.

To my surprise, 70-75% of peaches are clean. With rain from late June - now, all my earlier nectarines got brown rot, most of my earlier peaches split due to excessive water and some rotted. None tasted any good.

These Autumn Star tasted reasonably good but not as good as in drier years.

Here are the good.

The bad. (Thank goodness, not too many)

And the down right UGLY. Brown rot inside and outside a Clemson bag!!!

2 Likes

Glad to see you got some good ones after such a disappointing year. I envision a peach cobbler.

1 Like

Thank you, @northwoodswis4 .

We recently made Fresh Peach Crumb Bar. We like it a lot. The pic did not do it justice. It tasted great so it will be our new peach dessert for now.

4 Likes

Harvest time. A bit of everything.

34 lbs of Crimson Sweet.

Jujubes, Sugar Cane.

Some mixed figs from potted plants.

12 Likes

Hosui, picked two weeks ago and Korean Giant picked today, 9/25/21 to compare their coloring. KG has not fully ripened yet but definitely edible.

!

7 Likes

I like to post a size comparison. Here are my Euro pears.

I still have Harrow Sweet, Elliott and Douglas (both grafted) on the trees.

@clarkinks Do you have Douglas? When does it ripen for you?

9 Likes

I lined them up in an alphabetical order.

Honey Sweet picked today and Blake’s Pride last week so both will be back in a fridge.

Aurora, Maxine and Seckel spent two weeks in a fridge and are on the counter today.

@IL847 I will see what Maxine will taste like after two weeks in a fridge.

6 Likes

Your honey sweet is very large. Does it taste as sweet as honey?

I just checked pics of Honey Sweet. Mine may not be correctly label as mine was russeted, not thin-skinned like the pic.

1 Like

@mamuang

Douglas should be ripe but it’s not ripe yet. Odly I have one Harrow sweet tree not ripe yet. One tree of Harrow sweet I picked a long time ago. Winter has been hanging on more in recent years in Kansas causing delayed fruit ripening and other problems. Korean Giant , improved Kieffer, Duchess D’angoulme and Douglas are all still ripening. Korean Giant has lots of rotting this year. Here are some photos Got a fruit tree heavy with fruit? Post it!

95% of my KG this year got bug damage. Could be a combination of Tarnished Plant bugs and stink bugs. They must have attacked later on as I sprayed insecticide 3 times after petal fall.

I can live with minimal spray for pears but some years like this one, most fruit are damaged.

1 Like

@mamuang

Odly at my property the insects targeted 3 pears Korean Giant, Harrow Delight, and clapps favorite. Korean Giant and Harrow Delight had the biggest losses.

2 Likes

Only Korean Giant that sustain the most damage this year. Never seen this much damage before. Almost all KG have dimples,

2 Likes