Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Mine were the same very heavy damage and my other Asian pears have no damage. I left many drippin’ honey on the tree to lure bugs away with a riper pear but it didn’t work. For whatever reason Korean Giant seems to be #1 on bugs list this year.

2 Likes

More pears ripened.

!
I picked Harrow Sweet a bit early this year. Hope they will ripen in the fridge.

Elliot actually fell off.

Size comparison.

9 Likes

Some of my apples picked a few days ago.

Orin was the sweetest. Baker’s Delight was sweet. Crunch A bunch was sweet/tart. The unknown had traces of being red/pink fleshed. It had tender flesh while the first three were quite crunchy.

9 Likes

The Unknown above is likely to be Pink Pearl. I hope it fruit again next year.

1 Like

I have some unknown fruit varieties because:

• scionwood was mislabeled
  • I mislabeled the graft myself
  • their tags flew off

This time I have another beautiful unknown russeted apple that I will post on one of the apple ID threads to see if people can help me ID it.

If you notice, I like posting a line up of different varieties of the same of fruit because it helps show size comparison.

Here some apples.

These are mid season apples. I put them in a fridge waiting for late varieties to ripen before I attempt to organize apple tasting with friends.

11 Likes

Is there any chance to go do some hunting & trapping on your neighborhood? Lol

If you volunteer :joy:

1 Like

This morning, I came across this mushroom near my peach tree. It is delicate and beautiful.

!

And the ugly last month.

8 Likes

The mushroom looks like glass.

A nice looking wine glass :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Look like my Unknown is likely be Razor Russet.

My pawpaws started ripening. Gave them to friends and neighbors to try. Overall feedback has been positive. @mrsg47 wish you were here. You would be my taste tester. Shenandoah is mild. Good for pawpaw beginners!!

My latest nectarines, September Free, started to drop. So many cloudy and rainy days this year have not been helpful. They have not been as sweet as I hope. Brix varies from 12-14. It is a free stone nectarine. Sizes vary (after thinning well) from 4 oz to 9+ oz.

10 Likes

After showing a good side of fruit growing success, there is an unsuccessful/ugly side of it, too. Not everything come up rosy. Here’s exhibit A this year.

16 Likes

Several fruit ripened these past couple of weeks.

Shenandoah and Sunflower pawpaws have taken turn dropping. I like Shenandoah a tad more for it softer, creamier texture than Sunflower.

My first Prok dropped, too. I did a size comparison with a Hachiya (store bought).

@SMC_zone6 My first Prok was soft-ripe but I detected a hint of astringency. It was sweet but not as sweet as American persimmons that my friend gave me. (he thinks his was Prok but I think his is Yate). My Prok texture was very soft.

11 Likes

Sometimes a bit of astringency lingers around the stem area. I’ve just gotten kind of used to it at this point. Those pawpaws look great!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing some pawpaws! Upon reflection, I feel like Sunflower and Shenandoah were equally good, but in different ways. Sunflower is more obviously tropical, tasting mostly like a pineapple-banana at the firm ripe stage, with other tropical notes that were hard to pin down. Shenandoah was subtler, like a good banana pudding. I also feel like there was a touch of rambutan in there; it’s hard to notice because it’s not a flavor you think of going with banana and vanilla flavors (at least I don’t), but I’m pretty sure it’s there and it’s good. The overall flavor of both was more similar at the soft ripe stage, kind of butterscotch banana with a hint of bubblegum in one of them (not sure which). I did notice soft ripe Sunflower had a bit of bitterness throughout, but this was mostly relegated to near the skin on Shenandoah. My daughter liked the firm ripe fruits better than the soft ripe fruits.

5 Likes

I am very impressed with your ability to taste many flavors. I think @JustPeachy and @TrilobaTracker should recruit you to be their taste tester.

My Shenandoah and Sunflower have dropped every other day. I have checked them before and after work and have to rescue dropped fruit from ants. Those ants were fast.

This was from yesterday.

2 Likes

Thinking of adding a ghost apple tree to my mix. I guess I just like the unique look. Folks around here seem to all offer the same apples. I wanted to try and come up with more variety. (No pun intended)

Does anyone have any experience with or comments about this variety?

1 Like

Regina,

A member in CA @anon18642480 grows and has fruit this Ghost apple. Hope she will chime in.

@Luisport grows it but he is in Portugal. By all account, it is a low chill apple.

@jcguarneri
YASSS Rambutan! Excellent reference point for a flavor that I do also detect in some pawpaws. Well played.
Also banana pudding is one way I described my first tastes of Shenandoah.
I had to stop reading your post to say all this and will return later LOL
Later: I think it’s crazy how Pawpaws can taste different from bite to bite. It’s real. And yep as you say when they get riper the nuances fade.

1 Like

If more people were willing to foot an overnight shipping bill, I would probably be more game. >_<