Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

If they want them enough, they should. I used to send packages of scionwood for $3 or less. Nowadays, nothing cheaper than $3.50.

For the most part, it is closer to $5 for only a few sticks of wood.

1 Like

Overnight pawpaws is easily 50 minimum for shipping for ~5 pounds. That doesn’t include packing costs.

1 Like

Yes, packing pawpaws is like packing items made of glass. I’ve used a $16 priority-mail box. (It allows up to 30 lbs for that price I think). With careful wrapping with bubbled material, I could only fit a lbs of pawpaws in that box if I was lucky.

2 Likes

It’s more challenging than that. It’s thin glass with liquid inside.

Priority mail is too slow. They still receive it brown. This is the first year I shipped pawpaws. If I do it again next year, it’s overnight only.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one who see that! As for changing bite-to-bite, I did notice that “tropical” notes seem to be most concentrated in and around the seed casings (my 3 year old daughter demanded all the pulp from the seeds after the first one).

@JustPeachy I have some thoughts and questions on shipping pawpaws, but I’ll put those in the other thread instead of cluttering up @mamuang 's garden journal.

2 Likes

Well, my Honey Sweet Euro pear turned out to be an Asian pear!!!

It was crunchy, mildly sweet with brix at 13. It can’t hold a candle to Kosui, Korean Giant or Hosui.

Can anyone tell me what pear is this? It has a lovely shape and lively russeted color. It is the one in the middle. @IL847 , @PharmerDrewee, et al.

5 Likes

I unfortunately cannot recognize this one. It seems pretty late, perhaps later than even Korean Giant.

Sorry for misleading you. It is not a late pear.

I picked the fruit around Sept 24 but did not get around to eat it until now. So, it ripened a couple of weeks before KG. The shape and the taste was definitely not KG.

Kinda like Daishui li🤭

I think Dasui Li is a large pear with smooth green skin. My is a small to medium pear with coarse, light tan skin. (the pic made it looked like a thinned skin pear). The texture was coarse. It was the first year fruiting so I may keep it one more year.

1 Like

Nope, mine is small to medium size, yellow skin. Although this is first year it fruited

5 Likes

My mysterious pear had coarse (russeted-like) skin. I had to peel it. The texture was hard and denser than KG.

I hope its eating quality will improve.

2 Likes

Things are winding down. These are still hanging on the trees.

Last Chicago Hardy after a week of hard frost.

Last Prok has ripened but not dropped.

One and only Rojo Brillante, no leaves left but far from ripening.

My guess is squirrels trying to ruin my days.
Damage on Sun Crisp and Crunch A Bunch.

9 Likes

I let my last Prok hung until today. It was soft ripe. No astringency. The texture was very soft. It was sweet but not as sweet as Nikita’s Gift and a couple of hybrids @SMC_zone6 kindly gave some to me.

My Rojo Brillante is getting a bit more orange. I may be able to pick it in Dec :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

I had a couple persimmons that were so late they were no good for me. They were Hyakume types if I recall. I recently put in Rojo Brilliante, based on how yours is doing I will be OK with it.

I used to think that fruit may as well be picked when the leaves fall, but it does seem better to let them hang as opposed to picking them (assuming no hard freeze). I’m going to pick the last of my persimmons and kiwis today though, they are close enough.

1 Like

I saw some videos of persimmon harvesting in China showing persimmons on trees with no leaves (it was snowing). So, I assume it is OK to leave them on when leaves are gone.

So far, we have had frost several time and the lowest temp was 29 F. The fruit is still hard.

The fruit was impressively large. I don’t know how large it will be if the tree carry more fruit but store bought RB were also large.

You got to have a little patience with R/B persimmon. Got this picture.

8 Likes

My regret is I cannot put the tree in ground.

I am sure @scottfsmith will be successful with it like you are.

How long you leave your RB on the tree after leaves all dropped?

I usely picked them ripe of the tree,unless predicting a very cold dip in temp, like 25*.

1 Like

My last Georgia Rattlesnake watermelon. Picked on Oct 23. We had no heat/sunny days by then. Just cut it up today. It looked all right. The texture is a bit fibrous.

@thecityman, re. the fibrous texture, could it be that we let it on the vine for so long?

Brix was 9.5, not bad for a late watermelon.

10 Likes