Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

I am noticing hardly any blooms. Last year at this time my trees were covered in blossoms.

@Colleen7
What fruit trees you referred to, please?

Peach, cherry, pear, apple, pluots, nectarines, apricots.
Last year 4/14

This year. 4/20
Processing: 0C47693F-C6FD-4510-9333-46B9083B7971.jpeg…
Uploading: 8BD40F44-B9A7-428A-8716-4A07647F93CD.jpeg…
Uploading: 1FC66C8F-9990-4396-8D26-E5EA49D3BCEA.jpeg…

3 Likes

Colleen,
The pics did not show up. Could you please re-post?

@clarkinks

I know you have tons of pears. I have only a few trees so I get quite excited when new pears are blooming for me.

Citron de Carmes - lovely name. @mrsg47 is this name French?

I hope it will be true to label. The flowers are on a small side but not as small as Warren’s flowers.

5 Likes

@mamuang

That is definately it looks great ! Citron De Carmes pear . I’m 100% sure by looking at the flowers and leaves.

1 Like

Clark,
I think I got scionwood from you :smile:. Thank you.

How does it taste?

1 Like

@mamuang

Very good, be ready to defend them!

Early ripening - good. Short window before core breaking down - bad.

It will be challenging to get it right.

1 Like

@mamuang

The beetles are on them fast as well since they have higher sugar!

Oh boy. Must be ‘going around’. All of a sudden my shoulder is screaming at me and I can’t lift my left arm without hearing from it! I start PT in a week or so. Getting old . . . . . not for sissies. For SURE!
Seems like every day another body part bites the dust! :laughing:

3 Likes

I had this problem in my early 40s for doing one yoga pose. I have been stretching daily, so far so good. I now can push very heavy compost bin by myself, I don’t need my husband’s help anymore.

2 Likes

Yes. It means lemon of Carmes.

A refreshing pear founded by the Carmelite nuns of France in 1602.

5 Likes

boy do i hear you. just had carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist. sucks to get old.

2 Likes

I hope the “lemon” refers to the shape of the fruit, not the taste. I can’t eat acidic food any more as my teeth get more and more sensitive to acidity.

@pomgranny, @SoCalGardenNut , @steveb4 - I hear you.

I’ve tried to “stay in shape” but not sure it is the right shape these days.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I think it might be the color, or shape, definitely not acidic. Could be refreshing!

1 Like

Is your cherry Utah Giant? It is not as cold hardy as Black Gold. Even that, my White Gold blooms are very sparse this year.

My Juliet, a bush cherry, has not issue blooming. Their lineage is from Canadian prairies. They are tough.

My Juliet this year.

5 Likes

You are not old, you got promoted to pépère.

1 Like